Writing Equipment Show London 2015

Beechwood

I know of another 8 of us that will be attending, not to mention the two that I met for the first time at the a Pelikan Hub on Friday who also said that they will be attending.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• alc3261

• ianpw

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just under a week to go! The show is building up to be the best one yet. All dealer tables were sold out some time ago and our Facebook marketing campaign is going well. If anyone wants a table plan of the show just pm me with your email address and I'll send you a pdf.

This year we are introducing an Early Bird entry at a cost of £15.00/person this gets you into the show at 09:30. Normal entry time this year is 10:30am and this entry charge remains the same as i has for years at £5.00/person

On Saturday afternoon WES is having a meeting to celebrate the bi-centenary of Sampson Mordan, there will be three speakers Mr. Peter Katz, Dr. David Shepherd and Dr. Jim Marshall, this is for WES members only if you are interested in attending contact secretary@wesonline.org.uk. On Saturday evening there is a pre-show dinner, if you wish to attend please contact marketing@wesonline.org.uk. Both events take place upstairs in The Academy, Holiday Inn Bloomsbury, Coram Street, London.

Looking forward to seeing you there if you need any further information pm me.

Ian

Edited by ianpw

I must have picked up, tried and handled 30 or 40 pens today at The London Pen Show. None, NONE sang to me as much as the Visconti Metal Opera.

I was hit, as Mario Puzo in The Gofather said, "what Sicilians call 'The Thunderbolt' "

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_thunderbolt.jpg

What was your favourite . . . ?

fpn_1443994307__2015-10-04_133651_2_1024

Me with Werner and Francis at the London Pen Show today.

The FPN LE Prototype is an awesome pen and a dream to write with.

:) :) :)

fpn_1443994307__2015-10-04_133651_2_1024

Me with Werner and Francis at the London Pen Show today.

The FPN LE Prototype is an awesome pen and a dream to write with.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Can't be friendlier guys than Francis and Werner. How they managed to travel from Belgium, set up and survive a full day without sleep is beyond me. Add to that infinite patience, and they're eligible for sainthood!

Seconded: the stub on that FPN LE was a dream...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Well, for me, this was the best London show to-date. Great atmosphere, which started for me when I bumped into the wonderful and ever-present (pink highlighted) Casmi. Lovely smile.

Really good variety among the Sellers. I eventually managed to complete my Conway Stewart collection by picking up a, long sought after, Conway Stewart 100 bandless and for £130 cheaper than a previous Seller had wanted to sell his for :P I also bought two Kaweco Sport demonstrators/clear pens for my Midori Traveler's notebook. These are tough little pocket pens which don't mind being thrown about at the bottom of one's bag/backpack.

However, the undisputed highlight of my day was the Conid stand. As mongrelnomad says, Francis and Werner are the friendliest guys one could wish to meet. Both looked pretty cream-crackered when I saw them at around 11am but, they typically fussed over their customers and greeted those of us who are regulars, as though we were family. After rubbing shoulders with "Tas", I tried out the FPN LE, which predictability does what it sets out to do.....please :thumbup: . I picked up my Standard Bulkfiller from the brilliant Francis :notworthy1: who had kindly made some little adjustments to accommodate my favourite vintage nib. Thanks to Werner's generosity, I was allowed to take home (borrow) a little homework......but more of that later ;)

A really good day, topped-off by a quicker than normal 2.5 hour journey home.

Pavoni.

I agree - it was the best London WES Show yet. Such a friendly atmosphere and all the sellers had smiles on their faces (despite my suspicions that many had been up very late the night before carousing and having a bit of knees up! LOL).

It was a delight to see Brian T again (from Penamie) and a fab Parker Vac was procured from him at a great price. Gary Lehrer was there and Cruzaltpens had some amazing deals; another Omas was quickly snaffled from them at an amazing price. Later we bought another nice little Pelikan M20, this time with a rolled gold cap, for peanuts.

Also had a lovely chat with John (Write Here) - he's delightfully friendly and helpful - as, indeed, are all the sellers. Lots of great deals to be had at nearly every table.

I too bought a Kaweco (a mint Skyline), and of course I bought a few bottles of ink! Can anyone doubt that I would? He he :-). And I have now seen the Diamine novelty sparkle inks IRL; I'm afraid I still don't like them.

The highlight, of course, was to bump into so many friends, both old and newly made ones. Did an ink swap with my mate Tas (Hey Cyber6 - the Canadian ink has now been safely delivered!) and the Geeks pub lunch was so much fun. Lots of laughs and pen show-and-tells.

Altogether it was a classic day and I can't wait till next year.

Verba volant, scripta manent

I third that - best time I've had at the London show. Started off with a lovely walk in the autumn sunshine to the hotel from Charing Cross station, then a beeline to John at Write Here's table to grab an Omas Cocktail in Vodka Lemon before the edition sells out like the Alba did .... The sunshine must have been infectious! Thanks, John!

Then picked up the converter from Martin and Anna (and their industrious offspring) at the Writing Desk which they'd kindly and efficiently brought along for me, swung by Regina Martini's stand and was sort of relived to find she hadn't brought any of the newer Pelikans, and was caught by the colleague I'd arranged to meet up with at Sarj Minhas's table with an Omas Paragon in Saffron Blue in my hands .... Had been captivated by that colour for so long that once I'd held it and dip-tested it, it wasn't going back on the table .....

Then joined the Geeks pub lunch, was lovely to meet some of them again, and back in for my colleague to find a sweet little vintage Platignum and an aluminium Kaweco Sport (after raiding our bank accounts he kindly lent me some to fund my purchases!) and at the end of the day I was convinced by the lovely James at Onoto that I wouldn't find another Classic in chased blue at such a good price again - especially when the wonderful John Sorowka could provide the luscious medium I'd found on one of the other models with a bit of line variation.

So, have completely blown my Christmas present, birthday present and next year's pen budget - but it was well worth it. Oh, and a pen case to house them in. I might have to stay well clear next year!

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Some pictures taken from behind Worcester Pens table of the room, illustrating how busy the show was. Apologies for the lack of pen pictures but we (Worcester Pens) were just too busy to tour the room and take more photo's.

post-9971-0-35627900-1444062083.jpg

post-9971-0-61577700-1444062112.jpg

post-9971-0-58798300-1444062131_thumb.jpg

post-9971-0-09679500-1444062151.jpg

<span style='font-family: Verdana'>Do not worry keep going.</span><a href='http://www.worcesterpencompany.co.uk' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>My website</a>

Some pictures taken from behind Worcester Pens table of the room, illustrating how busy the show was. Apologies for the lack of pen pictures but we (Worcester Pens) were just too busy to tour the room and take more photo's.

I have some more photos to post later.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

Like others, I too enjoyed this years show. Great to catch up with Sarj and Ray. I also spent time testing Werner and Francis's patience :)

Unfortunately I didnt buy a Conid, although I came very close. Just couldnt and still cant make up my mind about model and nib size. I was impressed by the fpn pen - the nib was huge. Being able to see and try the pens was a huge benefit to the making of future decisions..

I did pick up a couple of pens including a broad nibbed MB Proust, some Aurora black ink which I have been keen to try and some pen trays from Gopens.

Unfortunately I didnt buy a Conid, although I came very close.

You and me both ! :)

One day though da vinci, one day . . .

You and me both ! :)

One day though da vinci, one day . . .

For sure!

Using the pens reinforced the quality of the manufacture. Standard bulkfiller or fpn special? Demo or not? Flat top or streamlined? Stub or not? Titanium or gold nib?

I appreciate some of these choices will be dictated by budget and CONIDs specification but you get the idea!

Unfortunately I did!!

Congrats! What did you go for?

Did you pick up anything else?

Edited by da vinci

Woo hoo congratulations!!

Photos please . . .

(da vinci, I'd go flat top, Regular, titanium EF - still can't work out if I'd like black or demonstrator though . . . :unsure:)

Edited by Tas

Woo hoo congratulations!!

Photos please . . .

(da vinci, I'd go flat top, Regular, titanium EF - still can't work out if I'd like black or demonstrator though . . . :unsure:)

fpn_1444083499__2015-10-05_002820_1024x1

This is what I got yesterday from the left -

Laban medium nib, Aurora Ipsilon Italic nib, Omas Ogiva Saft Green (from Sarj), Conid Minimalistica Demo Titanium Stub, Omas Ogiva Cocktail Bloody Mary Fine, Twiss x 2 with a medium and a broad!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop