The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

My Experience With Exchanging Nib Sizes

montblanc fp 146 149 anniversary diplomat

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dmvara

dmvara

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 03:49

So here is my story of what I did with both my 146 and 149 75th anniversary fountain pens both with rose gold trim and MOP and limited to 1924 pieces.  When I first bought them, they arrived with Med nibs and I used them for only short time before I opted for an EF nib size exchange.  The service was excellent and both pens arrived back in less than 8 weeks.  I started to use both of them and just could not get used to the way the tiny nib end would drag on the writing surface.  I was completely bummed because I new at that point that I had made a terrible mistake in sending for an exchange.  So I had no choice but to send them back for another fitting of a M nib.  Luckily, one of the nibs was ok so they just charged me a small service fee, but the other had been nicked so I had to pay the full fee again for that one. :wub:   

I am very happy to have them back and now fully understand why most people prefer the med nib as opposed to something narrower.  It just writes ever so smoothly on the surface.  Lesson learned and pricey one if I may add.   :yikes:

Enjoy the week!!   :D

Sponsored Content

#2 Inked

Inked

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:22

If you divide the additional cost by the number of years or months that you will enjoy it, you will find it is not even worth thinking about.

You probably spend more on coffee or scotch a week.

Enjoy,

Inked

#3 dmvara

dmvara

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:41

:lticaptd:

Agree!!

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,357 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:56

When you swap in a nib be precise to what part of the tolerance you want. There is a skinny M, regular and fat M, and or any other width.

I had a nice M on my Woolf that I swapped for the B I had wanted. In the shop the M wrote B on cheap paper....if you go to a shop....always bring good paper in that makes a width difference.

I did not tell them I wanted a medium of tolerance B or even a skinny B.....so they sent me a Fat B :angry:  that writes BB.

I would use the pen more in B than I do.

Do tell them if you want a fat, middle or skinny part of the tolerance. In any nib factory, there is slop/tolerance where a fat F can and does = a skinny M....or be just a 1/100's of an inch away from the limit, that you really can't tell if it is a fat F or a skinny M. (especially if you have other brands whose standards are different.)

Some day I'll have to send the pen to a nibmeister to be made a B in it cheaper than sending to MB.

The nib is fine, butter smooth springy nib....very near eye fancy... no across the table bling. ;) With permission of Pentime....I take horrible pictures.

IMG_0641-1.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 22 April 2015 - 11:56.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#5 Ellison

Ellison

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2015 - 17:19

I'm about to bring my MB Dumas fountain pen to the local MB retailer to send off for an M nib replacement.  I just do not enjoy writing with the fine nib on this pen.   The store person quoted me a cost of 250 USD for the nib switch.  Does this sound about right?  

Thank you for any information on this nib switch.  

Late to bed, late to rise No disadvantage that I can surmise

#6 canibanoglu

canibanoglu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2015 - 17:34

Just putting it here: If in the future you want to exchange nibs on those 75th Anniversary MBs again, just don't bother with MB, send them over to me. I'll take very good care of them. 

I sometimes write about pens, inks and papers!

#7 A1979

A1979

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2015 - 19:10

The best "Nib Exchange service" is Michael Masuyama. :)

#8 bayport714

bayport714

A Hardy Boy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2015 - 00:55

The best "Nib Exchange service" is Michael Masuyama. :)

+1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, fp, 146, 149, anniversary, diplomat

Sponsored Content

|