Utilitarian-Minded Pen (School) 50-100€

Armand.D

Finally won an auction on Ebay for a black Sonnet, standard nib, 30€

Very correct price, + I already have the appropriate converters, imho it was the wiser choice.

If later I want to change I have still gold nibs availables, or cleo/Italix Parsons, Aurora.. (if you have retailers for gold sonnet nibs)

It is more clear so thank you all,

But I still want to get recommandations about piston-fillers, it will be my first factor for futur upgrade, then after the snap-cap.

Don't hesitate.

So for now settle on this,

Thank you again.

Armand.D

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armand.D

• Sandy1

• Chettiar

• NibDog

Finally won an auction on Ebay for a black Sonnet, standard nib, 30€

Very correct price, + I already have the appropriate converters, imho it was the wiser choice.

If later I want to change I have still gold nibs availables, or cleo/Italix Parsons, Aurora.. (if you have retailers for gold sonnet nibs)

It is more clear so thank you all,

But I still want to get recommandations about piston-fillers, it will be my first factor for futur upgrade, then after the snap-cap.

Don't hesitate.

So for now settle on this,

Thank you again.

Armand.D

If you want to go for a pistol filler, the TWSBI is pretty much the main choice for your price range. They cost about £41 in the UK which should be around 49.20 Euros for you. The customer service is great and it holds a lot of ink. It also has a screw on cap.

Hi,

Congratulations!

And thanks for letting us know about your choice.

As for the nib width - M not F: It should be possible to get a more narrow line by switching ink from QE3 to a slightly dry ink such as Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black.

(The quick dry inks tend to dry primarily by absorption, so exhibit greater bleed- show-through and line width gain [spread] than inks which dry primarily by evaporation. Results are still quite dependent on the paper.)

My daily writer Sonnet has an M nib, so when I need a very narrow line I use the nib inverted - feed upper-most.

I still cannot make a suggestion for a modestly priced snap-on cap piston filler. There is the discontinued Reform 1745, but that has a threaded cap. Apparently the nibs can be a bit dodgy, though I've had only good experience with them.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Congratulations!

And thanks for letting us know about your choice.

As for the nib width - M not F: It should be possible to get a more narrow line by switching ink from QE3 to a slightly dry ink such as Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black.

(The quick dry inks tend to dry primarily by absorption, so exhibit greater bleed- show-through and line width gain [spread] than inks which dry primarily by evaporation. Results are still quite dependent on the paper.)

My daily writer Sonnet has an M nib, so when I need a very narrow line I use the nib inverted - feed upper-most.

I still cannot make a suggestion for a modestly priced snap-on cap piston filler. There is the discontinued Reform 1745, but that has a threaded cap. Apparently the nibs can be a bit dodgy, though I've had only good experience with them.

Bye,

S1

Thank you, you helped me a lot !

For the nib the one I took is a Fine, it was the more convenient option for me (price) + as I am pretty pleased with Noodler's QE3 (lefty).

Your explanation about FD inks is also appreciated.

I should open a thread or somewhat because I am wondering if it is possible to improve this bleed/evaporation process by mixing it with an IG ink, like Hero 232 BB ?.. It would a very handy mix for my usage, FD & polyvalent.

About piston-fillers for me it is like these ranges for futur choices :

Reform 1745 < Twsbi 580 < Pelikan m200 (love cafe-creme one)

[vs Italix Parsons (amber looks so lovely)]

I will see by time what I need most,

Thank you again,

Armand.D

If you want to go for a pistol filler, the TWSBI is pretty much the main choice for your price range. They cost about £41 in the UK which should be around 49.20 Euros for you. The customer service is great and it holds a lot of ink. It also has a screw on cap.

Yes in this range it is surely the choice to make.

I will see by time, thank you.

I'm going to play psychic here and let you know confidence that the Lamy 2000 will be the perfect pen for you and your criteria. Keep an eye out.

I'm going to play psychic here and let you know confidence that the Lamy 2000 will be the perfect pen for you and your criteria. Keep an eye out.

Ok.. that's sure.

Thank you, you helped me a lot !

For the nib the one I took is a Fine, it was the more convenient option for me (price) + as I am pretty pleased with Noodler's QE3 (lefty).

Your explanation about FD inks is also appreciated.

I should open a thread or somewhat because I am wondering if it is possible to improve this bleed/evaporation process by mixing it with an IG ink, like Hero 232 BB ?.. It would a very handy mix for my usage, FD & polyvalent.

About piston-fillers for me it is like these ranges for futur choices :

Reform 1745 < Twsbi 580 < Pelikan m200 (love cafe-creme one)

[vs Italix Parsons (amber looks so lovely)]

I will see by time what I need most,

Thank you again,

Armand.D

Hi,

You're welcome!

As for the ink: I suggest caution when blending inks of different 'families', such as combining a simple aniline dye ink with an iron-gall ink. I have done so in the past, and it went OK - BUT I have no experience with the Hero ink, and the fast-dry properties of QE3 suggest that it has chemistry/ingredients a bit different than most other aniline dye inks, hence caution seems well-founded, and results not certain. Yet the goal may be worth the effort.

> For I-G inks, the relative amount of the I-G component varies quite a bit: from the low of R&K inks to the high of Registrars inks. As the R&K I-G inks can be freely intermingled with other R&K FP inks (save Sepia), I reckon Salix / Scabiosa are least likely to cause a problem if blended with QE3.

> I have explored blending diluted Registrars ink with several simple aniline dye inks and one cellulose-reactive 'bulletproof' ink. The results were encouraging, hence I see no obvious / recognised problems that would discourage your explorations.

Whee!

Bye

S1

__ __

See also :

> ESSRI Recipes 1 - 8 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/223337-essri-mixes/?p=2219295

> Gal-Lexi (includes my tests for a 'safe' blend) : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/234049-noodlers-lexington-gray-galileo-manuscript-brown/?p=2517090

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I would like to recommend to take a look at Sheaffer New Old Stock imperial fp.

I bought one and I really love the nib.

I strongly recommend against TWISBI. It is interesting pen but I had ink flow problems more than one time.

I still have 580 but not usable since after 1-2 page writing, ink flow stops.

Pelikan 205 is also very good option as well.

I understand you want to avoid Japanese fp but I recommend to take look at Platinum 3776 century. It is very good pen and you can buy this less than $100.

Jinhao x750 with as many Goulet/JoWo replacement nibs you fancy.

Hi,

You're welcome!

As for the ink: I suggest caution when blending inks of different 'families', such as combining a simple aniline dye ink with an iron-gall ink. I have done so in the past, and it went OK - BUT I have no experience with the Hero ink, and the fast-dry properties of QE3 suggest that it has chemistry/ingredients a bit different than most other aniline dye inks, hence caution seems well-founded, and results not certain. Yet the goal may be worth the effort.

> For I-G inks, the relative amount of the I-G component varies quite a bit: from the low of R&K inks to the high of Registrars inks. As the R&K I-G inks can be freely intermingled with other R&K FP inks (save Sepia), I reckon Salix / Scabiosa are least likely to cause a problem if blended with QE3.

> I have explored blending diluted Registrars ink with several simple aniline dye inks and one cellulose-reactive 'bulletproof' ink. The results were encouraging, hence I see no obvious / recognised problems that would discourage your explorations.

Whee!

Bye

S1

__ __

See also :

> ESSRI Recipes 1 - 8 : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/223337-essri-mixes/?p=2219295

> Gal-Lexi (includes my tests for a 'safe' blend) : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/234049-noodlers-lexington-gray-galileo-manuscript-brown/?p=2517090

Back to the thread,.. thank you ! (& sorry for the late answer)

For now I can't really buy new inks etc but what I will need first vials.

Do you know any european sites that would sell some, or a place where international shipping would not be too harsh for these ?

That would be very useful.

- First I think I will compare two mix :

Salix + QE3 / Hero + QE3, I have also have a sample of scabiosa but it will not match my BB colour.

Then IG inks are not very expensive, so as you say I will be able also to try the Registrar's, price is not a problem.

What would be also interesting (If I have money) is ESSRI, it costs me ~20€ with shipping but the mix is good with QE3 it would really be a good investment.

The ESSRI + N OA looks to me the best also.

- Otherwise,

If I really have problems with IG inks then I am interested to switch to "Royal Blue" inks that would be :

easy to read/on the eye (pure dark blue)

good flow properties

I saw from your reviews that Sailor Blue was a good choice for students,

.. do you have any other choices that comes to your mind talking about FD, or good flowing inks for students ?

+ I write with Fine western and I think that QE3 gives me more what looks like to a Medium "typical line".

Thank you again,

Armand.D