Scheaffer Targa Pen Id And A Few Questions

httpmom

Purchased this pen from eBay for $29 with shipping. Its my first vintage/older Schaeffer (except for my school pen which I still have from 1950s). It was sold as a working Targa without any other information. The nib says Schaeffer USA 585 14K. The barrel and cap are metal.

My questions are these:

Is it a Slimline or a Classic?

Is it a 1000? Or other?

What year or years was this in production?

The barrel has some dark marks? Dirt? around the screw threadsis it safe to clean? With what?

It came with a Schaeffer converter. I cleaned the nib and converter in homemade pen flush i.e. ammonia, water, and a few drops of Dawn. Then loaded it with iroshizuku ink and was so very happy to find that it wrote just wonderfully right from the time it hit the paper! Although the nib is a little stiffer than I anticipated (maybe because it's a fine nib)...I rather like this pen as a writer and as a looker. I think I did well for $29. What do you folks think? Any other tidbits I should know about this pen?

Schaeffer Group, Thank You So Much For The Knowledge & Expertise That Comes With Experience!

post-121404-0-28392900-1429498973_thumb.jpg

post-121404-0-44855100-1429498992_thumb.jpg

post-121404-0-21835900-1429499010_thumb.jpg

post-121404-0-75866900-1429499027_thumb.jpg

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nathaniel Harter

• JonSzanto

• httpmom

• Charles Rice

It looks like a Classic Model. It is a 1003 model, 1980-1994. $29 is a great price, I bought a 1007 for $32 last year, the original price was around $50 in the 90's. Also, the colored (plastic) models are more rare than the metal ones, the metal ones were in higher demand.

Edited by SheafferKing

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

Targas are always metal not plastic. Do you mean the lacquer finishes are more desirable than the metal finishes? I also don't think you have anything to base your conclusion of what models were in high demand. Your basic models were cheaper and more widely available. Fancy finishes cost more in the first place. Most stationers (got my 1001 in 1982 from Haines and Essicks, a stationer in Decatur, Illinois) carried conservative models that would sell. Don't know what I would have done if it seen a green moire back then.

Roger W.

Also, the colored (plastic) models are more rare than the metal ones, the metal ones were in higher demand.

Say what? Does the King need to go back to Sheaffer School?

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Targas are always metal not plastic. Do you mean the lacquer finishes are more desirable than the metal finishes? I also don't think you have anything to base your conclusion of what models were in high demand. Your basic models were cheaper and more widely available. Fancy finishes cost more in the first place. Most stationers (got my 1001 in 1982 from Haines and Essicks, a stationer in Decatur, Illinois) carried conservative models that would sell. Don't know what I would have done if it seen a green moire back then.

Roger W.

I apologize for my mistakes. Like you said they weren't plastic, I have been working with too many plastic pens. The metal finished ones may not have been higher demand, but they are easier to find than lacquered pens today.

Nathaniel Harter
spmlogofpn.png

Say what? Does the King need to go back to Sheaffer School?

This gives me an idea...

Nathaniel Harter
spmlogofpn.png

It looks like a Classic Model. It is a 1003 model, 1980-1994. $29 is a great price, I bought a 1007 for $32 last year, the original price was around $50 in the 90's. Also, the colored (plastic) models are more rare than the metal ones, the metal ones were in higher demand.

I think you are correct with an explanation. The black metal pens have a brass body and are noticeably heavier than the chrome, stainless steel and other metal finishes. These have a metal sleeve over a plastic shell which you can see at the ends of the pen. The lacquered finishes also use the plastic shell. Some of which are quite rare and desirable, hence they usually sell for more. This is the case for the classic size pens; the slim pens are different again.

Purchased this pen from eBay for $29 with shipping. Its my first vintage/older Schaeffer (except for my school pen which I still have from 1950s). It was sold as a working Targa without any other information. The nib says Schaeffer USA 585 14K. The barrel and cap are metal.

My questions are these:

Is it a Slimline or a Classic?

Is it a 1000? Or other?

What year or years was this in production?

The barrel has some dark marks? Dirt? around the screw threadsis it safe to clean? With what?

It came with a Schaeffer converter. I cleaned the nib and converter in homemade pen flush i.e. ammonia, water, and a few drops of Dawn. Then loaded it with iroshizuku ink and was so very happy to find that it wrote just wonderfully right from the time it hit the paper! Although the nib is a little stiffer than I anticipated (maybe because it's a fine nib)...I rather like this pen as a writer and as a looker. I think I did well for $29. What do you folks think? Any other tidbits I should know about this pen?

Schaeffer Group, Thank You So Much For The Knowledge & Expertise That Comes With Experience!

For your consideration.....Excellent reference re Sheaffer...brought to you

by Gary Ellison....URL to follow.................................................................................

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/sheaffer%20targa%20homepage.htm

Fred

enjoyin' a negroni aperitif..to be followed by leftovers

For your consideration.....Excellent reference re Sheaffer...brought to you

by Gary Ellison....URL to follow.................................................................................

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/sheaffer%20targa%20homepage.htm

Fred

enjoyin' a negroni aperitif..to be followed by leftovers

I use this list when identifying Targas, it is referred to on my site as well.

Nathaniel Harter
spmlogofpn.png

That model was my very first fountain pen. I received it when I graduated from high school in 1982. I still have it and use it periodically, even though I'm not a big fan of metal pens. A very smooth nail with good looks and lots of sentimental value.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Andrew;

The 1001 was my second pen but, my first nice pen in 1982. I had bought a green Sheaffer school pen in 1980. Still using them both though the 1001 has a new section, I know how do you break a targa section, and a new white dot as the original had fallen out.

Roger W.

This gives me an idea...

I hope so. I went to your site and there is virtually nothing there. I hope the King has plans, and can implement them, because it isn't so great to claim to be "everything Sheaffer" and be... not.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I hope so. I went to your site and there is virtually nothing there. I hope the King has plans, and can implement them, because it isn't so great to claim to be "everything Sheaffer" and be... not.

I'm sorry that my website isn't up to your standards. I see that you have worked so hard to create one and write content for yours. Thank you for telling me how bad it is, you are very supportive.

Nathaniel Harter
spmlogofpn.png

I still have my 1003 which I bought way back when. Your pen is in a lot better shape than mine as the black finish has worn off to the brass in several spots. (beauty marks)

I never do e-Bay, but $29.00 seems like a very good price.

Some extra nibs are still available from Sheaffer, but they'll set you back more than what you paid for the pen. I seem to recall that the 14K nib is something like $65.00 from Sheaffer.

Edited by Charles Rice

I bought a 1007 for $32 last year, the original price was around $50 in the 90's.

Thanks for that info. I had no idea what I paid for mine back then.

Any idea what I would have paid for a 1006?

Thanks for that info. I had no idea what I paid for mine back then.

Any idea what I would have paid for a 1006?

The label on mine is labeled $50, so it was probably the same.

Nathaniel Harter
spmlogofpn.png

I'm sorry that my website isn't up to your standards. I see that you have worked so hard to create one and write content for yours. Thank you for telling me how bad it is, you are very supportive.

It wasn't meant as an insult, and I can't even say it was about standards. I simply assumed that since you are advertising the site with a logo and a .sig and all that, I would be able to enrich my knowledge of the history of Sheaffer pens. I've been reading and conversing with Sheaffer-knowledgeable people for about 5 years now, and am well aware not only of the incredible depth and breadth of the products they created over many decades, but also the unbelievable task of trying to sort thought the myriad of variations that were available, especially including all the off-catalog variants. Much of this has been gradually documented but not necessarily collated into one location.

Your moniker led me to believe maybe that was the case here.

I wish you luck and endurance as you fill in all the place-holders you have for decades of pens, a task that could well take a lifetime. I will check back from time to time to see the progress, and when there is suitable content to view, I'll be happy to send people there.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I still have my 1003 which I bought way back when. Your pen is in a lot better shape than mine as the black finish has worn off to the brass in several spots. (beauty marks)

Some extra nibs are still available from Sheaffer, but they'll set you back more than what you paid for the pen. I seem to recall that the 14K nib is something like $65.00 from Sheaffer.

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Great to learn about the nibs! Do you know are they difficult to replace?