The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Pilot Prera Medium

pilot prera pen reviews medium

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 collectibles114

collectibles114

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:31

I bought the light blue with a Fine nib. It rapidly became one of my go to travel pens. You mentioned you would be afraid to travel with it, but mine has taken a huge beating. It has been to beaches, hikes, camping, sat on, you name it. It is also the first fountain pen I have taken on an airplane that has not leaked. I even left it uncapped once during a flight just to watch it, not even a little ink came out of the nib.

I also liked it because you can replace the nib with a Japanese Extra Fine and medium italic from the Plumix and Penmanship. It was a good intro into those line widths in a much nicer pen than the originals.

As a medical student, I usually need to write in pretty small lines and the F nib wrote beautifully, the perfect width for minute lines. I bought it after a F Pilot Custom 74 and that 74 has remained uninked in a cabinet since (I'll probably be getting rid of it soon).

Anyways, the Prera is a durable, fun, portable pen for a great price (around $30). My wife liked mine so much she bought her own and then proceeded to steal mine and in my book you can't get a better endorsement than that! Congrats on the pen!

Great to know those options. Coincidentally, I just graduated pre-PA, so I'll have to try the extra fine nib in med school!

Edited by collectibles114, 27 May 2015 - 08:31.

Sponsored Content

#22 cjr

cjr

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 11:12

I have two fine nib Preras. They are the smoothest fine nibs I've ever used. I use the fine nibs with really wet inks like the permanent DeAtrametis Document inks. One of my fines is a transparent green that I like to use with Noodler's Bad Green Gator and a CON-50 converter to show the ink color.

Favorite pen/ink pairings: Sheaffer Legacy w/18k extra fine inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Sheaffer PFM III fine w/14k inlaid nib and Noodler's Black; Lamy 2000 EF with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts; Franklin Christoph 65 Stablis w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and DeAtramentis Document Blue; Pineider Avatar w/fine nib and Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher; Karas Kustoms Fountain K w/steel extra fine nib and Platinum Pigment Blue; Pilot Decimo w/18k fine nib and Noodles's Black; Franklin Christoph 45 w/steel Masuyama fine cursive italic and Noodler's Zhivago; Pilot Explorer w/medium nib and Noodler's El Lawrence; TWSBI ECO EF with Noodler's Bad Green Gator.

#23 delano

delano

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:07

The Prera is bulletproof!  I can't tell you how many times I've dropped one, and it just looks at me and smiles.

#24 J85909266

J85909266

Fountain Blade

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 17:59

I want one, but it's just a little too small.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

#25 collectibles114

collectibles114

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 22:44

The Prera is bulletproof!  I can't tell you how many times I've dropped one, and it just looks at me and smiles.

That's reassuring, I have yet to drop mine. 😅

#26 arcadeflow

arcadeflow

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:57

Did anybody ever had trouble with a dry medium nib in their Prera?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, prera, pen reviews, medium

Sponsored Content

|