"de Profundis - Letters From The Abyss" - A Lovecraftian Game, Of Sorts

PanicAGQ2

Has anyone else here heard of this game? In essence, game play is by way of hand-written letters from an in-character perspective.

I could, for example, decide to be a Customs agent in 1927 who has discovered a long-lost and somewhat mysterious package from another country when charged with cleaning out an old store-room. Becoming fascinated with it, I write a letter to a friend who curates at a museum, including some sketches or photographs, in an effort to understand what it is.

Keep in mind that nobody 'runs' the game or scripts their response to me - they may ask me for more information, send me an informative article, or give me the address for and an introduction to a colleague who may know more or have a useful connection...

It's role-playing with no dice, no 'Game Master', and no preset plot. Interest, imagination and a love of handwriting are all one really needs. This seems a game designed for that subset of pen geeks who love old-fashioned horror stories, particurlarly the likes of HP Lovecraft, Poe, MR James, etc. It also encourages you to see your world through the eyes of a character who may be taking their first tentative steps on the path to a mental breakdown...

The rules are out of print, but the .pdf version is available online if anyone is curious. It sounds fun, this notion of making tea, lighting a lamp or candles and getting solidly into character as you read and reply to your latest letters...from the abyss.

Terry

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BernieC

• PanicAGQ2

• Maccabeus

• andreasn

My mind is kind of blown. I read the original de Profunis, written by Oscar Wilde while in prison.

It does sound interesting. I used to play AD&D, Merp and Paranoia.

I've never played even though I bought the game when it came out - everybody who's shown any interest has said they'd love to play...but only if they could use email and play in a modern setting.

Bah. Philistines.

Terry

There was a previous attempt to get something like this running a few years back here (hence my ownership of a PDF version of the... rules?). From what came of that I urge small groups, and probably as little reliance on tech as possible. If I didn't have all my time from creative enjoyment currently assigned to other projects, I'd clamour to be brought into a session.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I would go for this. Add me to the startup list.

When the pupil is ready, the teacher will come.

This sound's really interesting, but I have no knowledge in H.P. Lovecraft's works. I have never read anything by him. But I wonder if this could be adapted into another setting for non-Lovecraft fans.

Well, it sounds like we have a few interested parties! I'm at work right now, but I'll post more info this weekend.

It doesn't have to be lovecraft-specific if you're not familiar, it's about writing in-character letters about creepy/spooky/puzzling encounters as though they were happening to you.

A good idea would be to start thinking of who you would like to be, which means we'd need to decide on a time-frame - since we're FP focussed, it'd make sense to keep it somewhere between 1920 through perhaps 1970.

What do you guys think would be most interesting, and why?

Terry

Suppose we keep the time period from the 20's to mid 50's. IMHO this will eliminate the use of electronic paraphernalia for any investigating that takes place. I think it would be more Lovecraft-like.

I read the "rule book" and the game could be interesting.

Just a thought. I think we should limit ourselves to mostly blacks and blue blacks and maybe more common green inks, since there weren't really many fountain pen enthusiasts in the 20s to 50s. And they probably wouldn't have had any of the more exotic inks.

Hello!

Ernst Bitterman, if you do find yourself wanting to join in even on a limited or short-term basis, feel free to post to this thread or email/PM me and you'll be welcome - even if you've just written an interesting fictional letter or some cool journal extracts that you'd like to submit as a 1-shot 'find' for one of us with more play time to read and be puzzled by...that way you're not required to respond, and your entry can be incorporated into someone else's 'adventure', maybe shared with other players.

BernieC, keeping it between 1920 and 1955 makes sense, anchoring the game in a simpler time with more mysteries, when the world was smaller and our modern media was in its infancy. Radio shows were to that time period what TV and video games are now, and information access was still limited to libraries (public and private) and print news media. If you found an interesting fossil and wanted to know what it was, you had to research it in the library, take it to a museum or university, or write a letter to a known authority with a description, sketch and/or a photograph. I'm thinking we could play in the year 1936 as May 2nd was a Saturday that year as well...

Andreasn, limiting ink color is a thought I've been having. I somewhat agree in light of keeping it authentic, though I could see how some might really enjoy having another excuse to use their favorite pens and boutique inks. I may be inclined stick to blue or black, but I wouldn't mind anyone using whatever color they like.

I've uploaded my PDF copy of the rules to Google Drive - keep in mind that they're not so much rules as they are ideas and potential guidelines for play, mostly written in letter format. It's more about helping us understand the mindset than it is a set of rules, tables and lists of stats.

The Rulebook: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_eUUR75rtTLfm5XZVc1bmVLOEZTMlVtM2VBREQ2cEZXaUhZZUdUU0czM0Y2UmVSblJlT0k&usp=sharing

I figure we will need some common format for a character sheet - nothing like the usual highly detailed tabletop RPG nightmare, as we haven't decided yet who knows (or has heard of) whom and how they are acquainted. For Example, Bob might know Walter from University where they met in Senior Chemistry class and roomed together for a year, or their fathers soldiered together during WW I and their families stayed close, or they have may exchanged (possibly vituperous) Editorial comments in a literary or scientific journal. Here's my basic suggestion - please post any ideas for improvement!

<<

FPN Username:

Character Name:

Address:

Character Name
c/o Real Name
Mailing Address

Interests/hobbies:

>>

Once we have basic character descriptions from everyone who wants to play, I'll upload it all to Google Drive in the same folder. You can email me at eyeheartpdx@gmail.com or PM me here...and keep in mind, this game encourages you to actually do research, get out into the world and explore, and try to see the world through a different set of filters. Remember that gurgling in the sewer grate that you know is just storm run-off? What if it isn't...really? What if the hobo who was run out of town last year for suspicious doings really WAS involved with things that would make an honest soul catatonic with fright?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936

http://www.historyorb.com/events/date/1936

http://www.infoplease.com/year/1936.html

http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/1936.html

If we choose another year, you should be able to substitute it in the above URLs :)

Terry

Some clarification please. Occupation and Hobbies/Interest for the character we create or for our real time lives? Also there are two address spots. Is one of the addresses for our creation?

Hello Bernie,

The only things we need from Real Life is your FPN Username and your mailing address. Here's what mine looks like if you check the Google Drive link above:

<<

FPN Username: PanicAGQ2

Character Name: Edmond Doya

Address:

Edmond Doya
c/o Terry Freeman
1608 NE 92nd Ave
Portland, OR 97220

Interests/hobbies: Archaeology, History, the Occult.

Short backstory: Age 41, Born on 5/3/1897 to wealthy parents Alberto and Margaret Doya along with younger brother Walter (missing) and older sister Magdalena Hastings. Well-travelled in his youth, he has recently settled down quietly in Portland, Oregon to research write and curate for the Oregon Historical Society.

>>

I hope this helps!

Terry

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

This seems interesting - I'm interested. The original poster has not been online for a while, though.

Hello FPN-ers!

I apologize for not checking in - I've been on an extended camping holiday but I'm back and will be posting more soon as well as replying to any missed emails/PMs.

It was creepy where I was camping - there was a little island in the middle of a small river right behind my campsite, and in between and underlying the wind and river sounds, I could swear I heard sibilant chanting and movement there...

Terry

• 4 years later...