The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Let's See Those Vintage Nibs On Your Conid Bulkfillers!

conid vintage transplant nib

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:00

Hi, I'm hugely inspired by the wonderful posts in this thread and would like to plonk something fancy on the pointy end of my regular Bulkfiller. Does anybody know if a Montblanc 146 nib would fit the 6mm feed? There are some vintage ones floating around out there for a fair price. 

Also considering vintage options, but just don't really know which vintage nibs are gems and which are nothing so special. If I went vintage I'd like a soft or semi-flex nib, EF or needlepoint, and have found a ton of vintage Parker and Waterman options to consider. The Parker two-tone ones are interesting and I rather like the significant patina many of them possess. Any tips or especially nice nibs to look out for?   

Thanks!

I have a lovely old 146 flex nib for my regular bulkfiller. They're a bit short, but if you sent it to Francis, he can adjust a feed to accept it.

Edited by mongrelnomad, 18 March 2016 - 11:00.

Too many pens; too little writing.

Sponsored Content

#62 Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic

Dynamic quadrupod

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:12

I have a lovely old 146 flex nib for my regular bulkfiller. They're a bit short, but if you sent it to Francis, he can adjust a feed to accept it.

That sounds great! How short is it, would you mind posting a photo of the pen please? :)

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

#63 Hypocaffeinic

Hypocaffeinic

Dynamic quadrupod

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:17

Well I have finally dipped my toe into the lurid green waters of the Frankenpen Pond... I present to you all..

*dramatic muzak*

*thunderclaps*   PELIKONID!!!  (I used Comic Sans MS for extra horror)

The nib sat in there beautifully but despite being an EF it was far too wet and wide for me. And I thought the titanium nib was wet! This is just gigantic. It's helped me to be sure however that a steel nib will be the right option for me.

To extract the birdie nib from its nest I had to soak the Pelikan nib unit in warm water and then use my fingers to carefully push out the nib section from the collar (I don't have a nib knockout block). Took fricking HELLA pressure; I did it this morning and still have the dents in my thumbpads!

(To clarify, I had fingers upon the collar, then applied pressure to the back of the feed to push the feed & nib forwards out of the collar. No pressure upon the actual precious nib itself.)

The Pelikan assembly went back together very easily, however I didn't get the position of the nib quite right. Now I have to warm it up and push it out again, but will give my thumbs until tomorrow before breaking that news to them...

Question:
Is it possible for a feed to be really wet, as well as a nib? This pen is just a firehose. The Pelikan nib is nowhere near this gushy in its native setting!

post-124533-0-44538400-1458720335.jpg

post-124533-0-83567100-1458720349.jpg

Attached Images

• 12322707_10153620635992424_8588625702303474258_o.jpg
  • 12525302_10153620635892424_8701065019334585361_o.jpg

Edited by Hypocaffeinic, 23 March 2016 - 08:30.

Conid R DCB DB FT Ti & Montblanc 146 stub nib | Lamy 2000; Vista | Montblanc 90th Anni Legrand | Pelikan M800 Burnt Orange; M805 Stresemann | Pilot Prera; VP Guilloche | Visconti Fiorenza Lava LE; Homo Sapiens Bronze

#64 DGH_Nomad

DGH_Nomad

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2016 - 23:11

So I have my CAISO ordered and I want to do a similar nib swap when I receive it. Since the CAISO has the same nib as the Kingsize, do we know of all the nibs that  would fit a Kingsize? I saw one person post a Montblanc 149 nib on his, but I'm curious to other brands. How about the nib of an Omas Paragon or one of the larger Montegrappa pens? 

One that I am considering is the nib of a Montegrappa "Tertio Millennio Adveniente" since I found a place that I can purchase one, but it might be nice to have an Omas to commemorate their last year. I do love the idea of having a gorgeous nib like this peeking out of the transparent cap of the Conid.

f05.jpg

#65 humzai

humzai

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:03

So I have my CAISO ordered and I want to do a similar nib swap when I receive it. Since the CAISO has the same nib as the Kingsize, do we know of all the nibs that  would fit a Kingsize? I saw one person post a Montblanc 149 nib on his, but I'm curious to other brands. How about the nib of an Omas Paragon or one of the larger Montegrappa pens? 
One that I am considering is the nib of a Montegrappa "Tertio Millennio Adveniente" since I found a place that I can purchase one, but it might be nice to have an Omas to commemorate their last year. I do love the idea of having a gorgeous nib like this peeking out of the transparent cap of the Conid.

f05.jpg

I like the way you think! The Montblanc 149 has a number 9 nib as well as the sailor king of pen. I'd love to get a #9 sailor kop nib on one but I'm having some difficulty explaining my desire to Werner.

My wish is to get an extra feed and nib unit that would fit a #9 nib and one if it's possible that would work with #6 nibs. I like swapping nibs a lot.

#66 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,355 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 09:28

I like the way you think! The Montblanc 149 has a number 9 nib as well as the sailor king of pen. I'd love to get a #9 sailor kop nib on one but I'm having some difficulty explaining my desire to Werner.

My wish is to get an extra feed and nib unit that would fit a #9 nib and one if it's possible that would work with #6 nibs. I like swapping nibs a lot.

Maybe shoot a message to Francis (Fountainbel here on FPN). He's crafted a number of 149 nib units for my Kingsize Bulkfillers (I gather that the housing has to be altered slightly to accommodate the MB's added length), and would be able to tell you immediately if a nib is a no-go.

Too many pens; too little writing.

#67 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2016 - 17:12

Hi all,

For donor nib replacements, the feed diameter is the most important parameter.

As long as the feed  originally used with the donor nib features a diameter close to the Bulkfiller feed one can most probably swap the nibs .

A second parameter is the length of the donor nib.

And a third parameter could be the body-end thickness of the nib.

If the donor nib is thinner the nib could possibly waggle during writing, although i did not experience real problems yet. 

The Bulkfiller feed diameters and nib lengths are as follows :

- Slimline : feed diameter 5 mm, nib length 26 to 27 mm.

- Regular, Minimalistica and Giraffe : feed diameter 6 mm, nib length 34 to 35 mm

- Kingsize , including CAISO : feed diameter 8 mm, nib length 38 to 39 mm

Note the feed diameter originally used for the  donor nib may be 0.2mm.smaller or larger as the Bulkfiller feed.

Hope this helps ! 

Best regards,

Francis

#68 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 22:58

RBlRuPc.jpg

Conid Minimalistica arrived today so I had to put a Sailor nib on it. Attached the nib without any modifications to the bock feed or housing. The medium Sailor nib writes a bit wetter than with the Sailor feed so far. I'm sure that my Sailor Naginata Togi nib will fit fine as well. So far very happy with the pen!

#69 pavoni

pavoni

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2016 - 00:10

Congratulations on your new Conid.  Really like the fact that you said that you had to put a Sailor nib on it.

I felt I had to fit an alternative nib to my first Conid, and by doing so I conveniently found the excuse I was looking for to justify getting another. :)

Please let us know (with pictures please) if the Sailor Naginata Togi nib fits.  Thanks for sharing,  Love this thread.

Pavoni,.

#70 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 2,593 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 00:38

If any of you are in need of vintage Waterman nibs, I have a good supply of Emblem and other nibs from the later 1930s and 1940s, including big #17 and #18 nibs.

#71 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:16

Well I have finally dipped my toe into the lurid green waters of the Frankenpen Pond... I present to you all..

*dramatic muzak*

*thunderclaps*   PELIKONID!!!  (I used Comic Sans MS for extra horror)

The nib sat in there beautifully but despite being an EF it was far too wet and wide for me. And I thought the titanium nib was wet! This is just gigantic. It's helped me to be sure however that a steel nib will be the right option for me.

To extract the birdie nib from its nest I had to soak the Pelikan nib unit in warm water and then use my fingers to carefully push out the nib section from the collar (I don't have a nib knockout block). Took fricking HELLA pressure; I did it this morning and still have the dents in my thumbpads!

(To clarify, I had fingers upon the collar, then applied pressure to the back of the feed to push the feed & nib forwards out of the collar. No pressure upon the actual precious nib itself.)

The Pelikan assembly went back together very easily, however I didn't get the position of the nib quite right. Now I have to warm it up and push it out again, but will give my thumbs until tomorrow before breaking that news to them...

Question:
Is it possible for a feed to be really wet, as well as a nib? This pen is just a firehose. The Pelikan nib is nowhere near this gushy in its native setting!

Looks the Pelikan nib is a few millimeter shorter compared to the original Bock nib Please try pushing your Pelikan nib deeper in the nib housing. In its actual position the nib is not supported deep and tight enough in the nib housing, hence the nib will bend off easily, leading to an excessive ink flow .

Francis  

post-124533-0-44538400-1458720335.jpg

post-124533-0-83567100-1458720349.jpg

#72 JMTB

JMTB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:32

Has anyone tried to put a Sailor speciality nibs ( https://www.nibs.com...-specialty-nibs) on a Conid Bulkfiller? I'm thinking of the Cross Point Emperor nib in particular. I note the dimensions of nibs possible were provided by fountainbel previously in this thread but I can't find nib size/dimensions for the Sailor nibs.

Any insights very welcome.

Edited by JMTB, 10 February 2017 - 11:33.

#73 25_15_3

25_15_3

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 18:11

@JMTB

I've tried the Sailor NT on the Bock feed. The nib is a tight fit, and also considerably shorter than the Bock nib in comparison. I didn't notice until later that my Bock feed had a chip which may have caused the saturated feed. I don't have any Sailor nibs on me at the moment so I can't test it again.

I've talked with another person who had no issue with the Sailor NT on the Bock nib - although he said he did a bit of modification to the housing.

#74 mauckcg

mauckcg

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 18:31

What would be a good easy vintage semi flex for a first attempt at swapping nibs?

#75 JMTB

JMTB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2017 - 18:34

@25_15_3

Many thanks for that information.

#76 tartuffo

tartuffo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 00:34

Not vintage but it worked out well ... 

WMOLOgG.jpg

#77 JMTB

JMTB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:56

Not vintage but it worked out well ... 

WMOLOgG.jpg

Fantastic. The Franklin Christoph nibs looks very good and I'm also considering using my Conid Regular as a host. As a newby in nib replacements I'd really like a video or step by step guide on this. Is anyone aware of such material or prepared to show the process?

Thanks in advance!

#78 tartuffo

tartuffo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 16:10

....  I'd really like a video or step by step guide on this. Is anyone aware of such material or prepared to show the process?

The first nib I ever switched was the one above and I followed the advice on the Conid website : 

http://conidblog.com...e-a-size-6-nib/

#79 JMTB

JMTB

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 March 2017 - 18:45

The first nib I ever switched was the one above and I followed the advice on the Conid website : 

http://conidblog.com...e-a-size-6-nib/

Many thanks

#80 Bill Wood

Bill Wood

Bill Wood

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:19

Does mean that a #6 jowo nib will actually fit a conid? I thought jowo would not fit a bock housing.

Sponsored Content

|