Using Wax Seals For Letters Or Cards

fountainpenlady

Do you have to draw the symbol? I might be able to do a rough of it, but believe I could probably find one of the net which would look better than I could draw it.

You have to send them a black and white photo (just B&W, no shading or gradients). Whatever is black is the part that gets engraved. They make 25mm round and square, and 30mm round stamp.

Here's the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/154959401/design-your-own-gold-plated-wax-seal?ref=fp_item&aref=37015310549

- Jon Zenor

Christian, Author, Starship Captain, and all around fun guy.

Follow me on Twitter: @JLZenor

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• LeonW

• inkspot

• john74

Do you have to draw the symbol? I might be able to do a rough of it, but believe I could probably find one of the net which would look better than I could draw it.

It depends what type of symbol you want. My emblem is pretty intricate and one-of-a-kind, so I had to draw it myself. But if you can find the symbol you want on the net, go for that by all means. Just make sure that the image is very crisp. The larger the image, the better, I find.

FPLady, using the two colours of wax simultaneously it is possible to get a marbling effect for your stamp after you swirled the molten wax on the paper.

John used the ink stamping effect in his wax stamp as seen in post #30.

A very useful tip is to cool your brass stamp on a freezer gel pack just before stamping in the wax if you don't use the ink pad. Easier release.

I love writing letters on card stock (140lb paper). I usually fold these in half, like a regular greetings card, for mailing. To seal those, I tie a piece of string around the card and conceal the knot with a wax seal. That way, the recipient can cut the string to read the card without breaking the wax seal.

attachicon.gifIMG_1799.jpg

That looks beautiful.

That looks beautiful.

FPLady, using the two colours of wax simultaneously it is possible to get a marbling effect for your stamp after you swirled the molten wax on the paper.

A very useful tip is to cool your brass stamp on a freezer gel pack just before stamping in the wax if you don't use the ink pad. Easier release.

I'll look for a freezer pack tomorrow. Received a cute little stamp symbol yesterday of a quill and scroll. It is tiny, but it is beautiful, can't wait to use it.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

john74

For me, visually breathtaking! Thank You. It gives me not only an idea, but something for me to strive to consider doing in the future. :notworthy1:

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

An ice-cube in a double Zip-lock bag would suffice to cool the stamp.

Do you believe I might be the only person on earth perhaps who does not have any ice cubes in my freezer? Also, don't have any zip-lock bags in the kitchen either. I'll have to get better with my possible wax seal supplies. :lticaptd:

You could use the old technique of blowing moist vapour onto the brass seal. (don't tell anyone I said so).

You could use the old technique of blowing moist vapour onto the brass seal. (don't tell anyone I said so).

:yikes: :lticaptd:

Do you believe I might be the only person on earth perhaps who does not have any ice cubes in my freezer? Also, don't have any zip-lock bags in the kitchen either. I'll have to get better with my possible wax seal supplies. :lticaptd:

For the love of god, how do you have cocktails? :o

At least you have a freezer. You can put the stamp in there for a couple of minutes...

PS - did you get those MassDrop FC Firma=Flex journals? If so, how do you like them? (Sorry for the off-topic question)

Edited by blINK

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

For the love of god, how do you have cocktails? :o

At least you have a freezer. You can put the stamp in there for a couple of minutes...

PS - did you get those MassDrop FC Firma=Flex journals? If so, how do you like them? (Sorry for the off-topic question)

When I drink, don't matter whether it is cold or room temperature to me. :yikes:

I am absolutely, positively in LOVE with the FC journals. Also, I contacted them directly, they will be at the upcoming Pen Show. Saw on a thread of some of the happenings of the Atlanta Pen Show, there is some type of folio for their notepad. It will be mine! I am not pre-planning to do much damage when I attend the Pen Show in buying stuff. I am for the first time actually going to stay overnight in the hotel. Yet, I am going to make a sprint to the Franklin-Christophe table. I already warned them I would be there to purchase more unlined versions of their FC journals as a warning for them to bring enough. The person who responded said if they ran out, they would go back to the shop and return with more.The way ink takes to it, but not glossy paper like Clairefontaine or rhodia. I love the curved corners of it. Everything about it, even the stitching on its cover and rear. I sent my grandson one as his first journal; he prefers lines, I kept two unlined for myself. Using one happily now.

Also, I purchased last month or so, a book bungie or something which fits over the front cover of your journal and you can place two pens in it, mine is red. It makes my journal and favorite two pens, even three, if I hang one off so portable always handy. Yes, too long off the topic, but I am loving my FC journal and they are located right here in North Carolina. Massdrops sent them from NC, to Jersey, back to NC. Well worth the unnecessary frequent flyer miles to get to me.

Back on topic, look what I just did. Using my newest stamp image, which arrived yesterday. It is so tiny and cute. Purchased it from Nostalgicimpressions.com As suggested, and a mystery, I used one of my ink stamp pads and inked the wax seal before using it on the silver wax. Beautiful highlights and I don't have to totally abandon my ink pads.

Edited by fountainpenlady

I have not ventured to experimenting with two wax colours yet. I am still trying to work with a child-resistant long spout lighter; being left handed, I feel as if I have to remember by the number to get it lit each time I use it. Anyway, yesterday I received the most darling new wax stamp image. Perfect for a writer, or someone who journal writes as much as I do. I just did what you recommended and used my stamp pad, some type of yellow color before putting the image onto wax. To my surprise and delight, it looks really unique and pretty. Since I have about 12 different colored ink pads, several of them hardly used or unused, I am going to really enjoy using them along with wax. Thank you very much for the suggestion and mystery. :bunny01:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Hold the two wax sticks together, apply flame to both to soften. Even before it starts to drip press both sticks on paper and give it a quarter turn. Place brass seal as usual.

Edit for spelling.

Edited by LeonW

Hold the two wax sticks together, apply flame to both to softer. Even before it starts to drip press both sticks on paper and give it a quarter turn. Place brass seal as usual.

I am going to give it a try. Thanks :)

• 1 year later...

I have been using wax seals since 1967 and never had a problem. Please note that I also believe that you can burn the hell out of yourself if you get too cavalier about them. Flaming beeswax will cause horrible scars. So, when you use it, pay attention (cars are dangerous, too...and daffodils are poisonous and knowing how to handle such things separates us from the apes). I have never had to pay any extra to send messages with sealing wax through the mail. FYI. I like to hunt for them in unlikely places, some are quite expensive. I love the beeswax seals and don't bother with those rubbery ones. YMMV. Wax seals have been around for thousands of years. The beeswax ones smell wonderful, too.

BTW, flaming wax falling on paper is scary. I ease back on the whole thing when that starts. You just need to keep aware of where the hot wax is at all times and ease back on the fire if things start getting out of hand.

But do have fun. That is what it's all about.

This is such a great and absolutely hilarious response! I laughed out loud several times as I read this! Thank you for this entry!

Hi Fountainpenlady!

I just recently (within the past year) started using wax seals on my correspondence and I love it. I've purchased several of the supple wax colors available at Goulet Pens and some recently at MassDrop. I also use the long stemmed butane lighter you refer to...also use for a gas fireplace. It's been a lot of fun acquiring my initials in different fonts and several stamps with symbols such as fleur de lie, "Peace on Earth", and compass rose. In my experience, the supple wax holds up well in the postal system and there has been no extra postage required. I like to match the wax color to the envelope lining color. I've received very positive feedback from the recipients. I find myself writing my friends more frequently because its so much fun using the wax seals.

Enjoy!

Mary