The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot 78G Lovers

pilot 78g

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 VinnyCordeiro

VinnyCordeiro

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 18:53

I have a burgundy BB. Pretty nice little pen.

Sponsored Content

#22 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2015 - 23:13

The 78Gs are great little pens that don't cost an arm & a leg. 

I have a BB pen in black & a B in burgundy,  with the small capacity but reliable Con-50 piston converters.  Both stainless nibs were smooth right out of the package (no box).  These pens have a narrow concave grip that's very comfortable.

I highly recommend them.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14c.,-0.6 mm BLS, (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "M" -0.4 mm.BLS, (PB)

#23 Berelleza

Berelleza

Master of Zero

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2015 - 23:52

i have B, BB and F. Prefer the BB to practice my writing and the fine to draw & doodle. The B is a bit dry but the BB is wet. Got green, red and black. The black is often mistaken by the Pilot Namiki when I want to draw it from the case.

#24 Brianm-14-FRMS

Brianm-14-FRMS

Write like no one is watching

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:52

Is anyone selling the 78 G with the BB nib at a good price? The best I have seen is around $19 USD.
Brian

#25 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 16:34

78g ... one world... best value for money pens from pilot

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

blog | instagram | twitter

#26 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 16:50

The 78Gs are great little pens that don't cost an arm & a leg. 

I have a BB pen in black & a B in burgundy,  with the small capacity but reliable Con-50 piston converters.  Both stainless nibs were smooth right out of the package (no box).  These pens have a narrow concave grip that's very comfortable.

I highly recommend them.

My F nib is so fine it takes forever for the ink level to change perceptively lol.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#27 cleosmama

cleosmama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2015 - 20:15

I have several, and I like them, esp. the B and BB nibs. 

#28 BFU

BFU

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2015 - 19:06

I have a 20-year-old Black on with an M nib; the two 'gold' cap bands have worn away. Last month I bought a B/stub nib in Red. The red one uses a Pilot Con 50 and the Black one bought in the UK uses an International converter.

I have now swapped the nibs over so that the new red one has the M nib, as I use this more than the stub nib

#29 Nosferatualso

Nosferatualso

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2016 - 20:33

I have a teal B nib that I use in work. It tolerates cheap paper and the screw cap means I can throw it in my pocket. It looks almost decent in meetings and when our printer breaks I can write urgent letters

#30 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• 3,006 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 21:07

A Chinese clone of these was brought to my attention the other day. Obviously not much point going for a clone of the usual range, but I do like the idea of a steel & chrome trim demonstrator, and ordered one!

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#31 Nosferatualso

Nosferatualso

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:12

That sounds very interesting

#32 -Velvet-

-Velvet-

Knight of Cups

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 January 2016 - 23:37

My version of Pilot 78g :)

MLYzdb4.jpg

A Pilot 78g in an ebonite fountain pen eyedropper body, it became my daily writer :cloud9:

#33 Bounce792

Bounce792

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2016 - 10:02

A Chinese clone of these was brought to my attention the other day. Obviously not much point going for a clone of the usual range, but I do like the idea of a steel & chrome trim demonstrator, and ordered one!

Do let me know how it is.  I was curious about that pen's performance.  The Wing Sung 659, right?

Velvet - I am guessing that someone made the ebonite body to fit the 78G's nib and feed.  The grip doesn't look like the normal 78G gripping section.  Am I right?

round-letter-exc.png

#34 Hangglidernerd

Hangglidernerd

Retro-grouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:24

I sort of have 2..... one stock broad and the one I prefer...a 78G broad in a Metropolitan.

Attached Images

• Photo on 1-23-16 at 3.21 AM 2.jpg

#35 -Velvet-

-Velvet-

Knight of Cups

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:42

Bounce , I did it myself. I just pulled out the nib of my pilot 79g and set it on my eyedropper. I have heat setted the nib with feed and I feel like I have a very expenseive pen.

#36 Nosferatualso

Nosferatualso

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:52

Excellent idea. Thanks for the tip

#37 Witsius

Witsius

I was told there would be cake.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 February 2016 - 18:43

I"ve got a black 78G with a medium nib.  It's very durable, and it never leaks even though I don't treat it very gently.  It's also a great writer.  Mine wrote really dry when I first got it, but a little shimming of the nib to open the tines a little took care of that.   Now it writes nice and wet.  The nib is also very smooth.  I've got a CON50 converter in mine.  I wish it could take the CON70. 

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.  Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

#38 Moynihan

Moynihan

Old Guy

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 21:14

Currently have a black with a medium nib inked. Also have a green B and a red BB. Right now, the inked 78g is sitting next to a Pilot Custom "original" (FK-700R-B-F), which is almost exactly the same size, and has a little gold nib...

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard "Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

#39 Ink Stained Wretch

Ink Stained Wretch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,357 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 14:55

I don't know that I'm a 78G lover. I have a few of them, however.

Medium nibs

• Green 2
  • Red 2
  • Black 1

B nib

• Black 1

BB nib

• Black 1

Both the B and the BB nibs are untipped. I was surprised that I could actually write a bit with the B nib. It wasn't a good writing experience. The BB nib must be for calligraphy or making small signs or something.

After having used a Platignum "Silverline" fountain pen every day for quite a few years I have pretty much had enough experience in writing a lot with italic nibs. I really prefer tipping material at the end of a nib.

The Pilot 78G medium nibs are actually fine nibs, to my way of thinking. I prefer real medium nibs and even broad nibs. So when I got my first 78G I was not pleased about the fine line. I have mellowed a bit on that score in my old age, and I have been testing a Pilot Kakuno and a Pilot Metropolitan lately. I am liking the Metropolitan so far, and I can see why Pilot would decide to replace the 78G with it.

I have always considered that the Pilot 78G fountain pen was over priced. I got the B and BB pens used and as a part of two separate, several pen deals, so they were acquired without my spending too much on them. The medium 78Gs I got for various prices, the most recent one was last year and I paid $10 for it, which I did consider to be too much, but I wanted a black medium one. I was on a black fountain pen kick late last year. I have seen them going for $15, which I wouldn't pay, and then there's a guy selling the 78G for $25 which I consider absolutely crazy pricing :wacko: .

Now I'm hearing about a Chinese version of the 78G and I'm hearing that it's going for the same or nearly the same price as the traditional version of the pen and I have to wonder why people would buy such a pen at such a price.

All that being said, I have my five medium, fine, nibbed Pilot 78Gs and I will possibly be finding a specific use for them in the fairly near future.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!
ink stained wretch filling inkwell

#40 Lamyrada

Lamyrada

Super Witch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 February 2016 - 15:30

They are cheap and practical and come in 3 that I know off, nice colors. I had a BB which skipped and wrote broad enought to practice calligraphy, which I have been doing for a while with medium success. The problem with the BB was its dryness and skipping, even after using a brass thingy yo open the tines.

The green 78B B I have is a delight to write with and take notes while I also practice the Italic hand. I have it inked with Diamine Claret to make notes stand out. My Italic hand looks good with this pen/nib. They don't have tipping, but this one at least is smooth.

Now the black F, that is a very fine nib which I like to use to practice my own kind of Spencerian ;-) and do some sketching in my senior-type retirement neurons-exciting activity.

I did not like them at first when I bought them; I did not know anything about stubs or differences about nib styles. With time, the BB was damaged by my newbie's experiemnts and twicking, but I find it was a learning experience rather than a loss. For me B and F are great pens to experiment and taking out in your purse or back pocket. Inexpensive if you look around and I would agree, somewhat overpriced when you can get a Metropolitan that has smoother nibs and is better good looking.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot 78g

Sponsored Content

|