Which Flex/semi-Flex Pen?

NobodysPerfect

I'm looking to buy a flex/semi-flex pen. I already have a Noodler's creaper, but want something a bit better (though I'm still on a budget). I'm currently debating between 3 options:

1. Noodler's Konrad in ebonite ($40)

2. Ranga Soquel with flexible 14k eversharp nibs from PSP ($85)

3. Vintage restored celluloid flex pen (~$125)

How much would the quality vary between these pens? I've searched for reviews, and the Konrad seems to polarize opinion, and I can't find much about these Indian pens with vintage flex nibs, so I'm not sure if the feed can keep up with flexing.

Is it worth spending more on the vintage pen or Indian ebonite pen with vintage nib? I've never had a vintage pen, so how much should I worry about maintenance on a vintage flex?

Thank you in advance for the advice -- and for reading through all my questions!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sombrueil

• max dog

• inkstainedruth

• NobodysPerfect

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have both FPCs and Konrads. And truthfully, I think there's a bit more flex on the smaller nibs on the Creapers. That being said, I actually like the Konrads better overall, especially my ebonite one.

I have no experience with the other pens on your list. My understanding, though is that the vintage pens with flexing nibs will get you more flex overall (at least if the nib hasn't been sprung).

I do have a lot of vintage pens, although mine are not particularly flexy (mostly nails, in fact). I don't find them that much harder to maintain, other than being a bit more choosy about what ink goes in them (and that is more a matter of some filler systems being harder to flush).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Out of the three options you presented, I would recommend to go for the Soquel.

The Konrad does have a flexible nib, but honestly if you want to do a lot, or even a moderate amount of flex writing, you'll find that your hand will start to ache a bit with the Konrad because it requires so much effort to flex the nib.

Others might have a more favorable view of the Konrad, but my personal view is that, it's not the best when you're serious about flex writing.

Soquel on the other hand could be a nice middle ground between an all-vintage (and pricey) option, or an all-modern option.

Those 14K eversharp nibs are quite nice on the Soquels and the Feltons, but the nibs do have varying degree of flex going from one pen to the next, not all Soquels will have the same identical level of flex. And it all depends on how the nib is set into the section and how it seats with the feed.

Best thing to do, if you decide on the Soquel is to add a note for Teri in your order to ask for the pen to be adjusted for added flex and good amount of flow.

Good luck.

PS: One other option that might be worth looking into, is the desiderata flex pens. It comes with an ebonite feed which very generous ink supply and it is fitted with an ultra flexible dip nib, the Zebra G nib. The caveat is that the Zebra G nib is not meant to be in constant contact with moisture from the ink, it's meant to only be dipped into ink so it gets exposed to water for small durations. The nib will corrode and rust and fall apart after a while. But these nibs are dirt cheap, about $1.50 a pop, or you could buy a pack of 10 nibs for maybe $10. I find the desiderata pen to be a very serious contender for someone wanting to get into flex writing.

Edited by pepsiplease69

I think if you want a bit of line variation under pressure, any of them would be fine. If you want to write with a truly flexible nib, you will need to go vintage or custom. But before that expense, try dip pens.

I've got a Soquel, as well as one or two (they're packed in storage until we get the new house built) Rangas fitted with Eversharp 14K flex nibs, all from PSP.

There is a bit of variation between each one, but not a lot. They're much better flex nibs than anything I've seen on any of my Ahabs, Konrads or Nib Creapers.

Hard to beat at the price.

If you are just looking to do more flex writing, I second the recommendation to go with a dip pen, especially since you state you are on a budget. A straight holder for $3 or an oblique holder for $13, and a bunch of nibs at about $1.50 each, and you are off and writing.

Yes, a dip pen is not as convenient as a fountain pen. But it is lower in cost, and arguably will do a better job at flex than a fountain pen. The Desederata pen being the exception, as a hybrid combination of the dip pen nib + fountain pen body.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I doubt if you are really ready for a "Flex" (superflex) pen....like a 52.

IMO, you should work your way up the flex chain....not so much chance then to ruin a rare superflex nib....and all are rare...to rare to spring due to being heavy handed...and always maxing the nib to make it do Olympic splits.

You have to learn to have a light Hand, for "Flex - superflex" nibs.

Dip pens are the way to go....once you've mastered them, you are set....and ruining a nib is not a sin in dip pens, like it is in fountain pens.

Semi-flex....Is NOT a 'Flex" nib. It spreads it's tines 3 X a light down stroke, at half the pressure of a well mashed true regular flex nib.

I have some 30 of them.....like them a bit. :)

Please read my signature.,

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

How come FPN doesn't have an About Flex Nibs sticky? This same discussion comes up about 3 times a week.

I'm looking to buy a flex/semi-flex pen. I already have a Noodler's creaper, but want something a bit better (though I'm still on a budget). I'm currently debating between 3 options:

1. Noodler's Konrad in ebonite ($40)

2. Ranga Soquel with flexible 14k eversharp nibs from PSP ($85)

3. Vintage restored celluloid flex pen (~$125)

How much would the quality vary between these pens? I've searched for reviews, and the Konrad seems to polarize opinion, and I can't find much about these Indian pens with vintage flex nibs, so I'm not sure if the feed can keep up with flexing.

Is it worth spending more on the vintage pen or Indian ebonite pen with vintage nib? I've never had a vintage pen, so how much should I worry about maintenance on a vintage flex?

Thank you in advance for the advice -- and for reading through all my questions!

I sell things here, but more importantly than that, I don't want you to waste your money. Please read this:

http://www.desideratapens.com/faq/#3

Vintage can be great, but the flex nibs do vary a lot. Recommend looking on here in Classifieds as I found I received better info from the sellers incl answers to specific questions not on their listings. They have a vested interest in keeping FPN members happy :). My Bay vintage buy was nowhere near as good/satisfactory as my FPN vintage buy. Good nibs can be found in pretty dodgy bodies. I chase the nib. I choose not to pay for the premium required to have a nice vintage pen body with it.

Starting with Option 2 may give u a little different feel, but may not give u enough difference to warrant spending the $, esp if u are seeking either wider or easier flex in particular. Really depends on your intended end use. Everyday writing with flair, or special writing?

Love my Conklin Crescent with #2 vintage nib. Fabulous snapback. My Waterman isn't as flexy. Nibs vary a lot.

In the next price bracket up from Option 3, this can be found:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/289225-review-joseph-da-luz-custom-nib-grindnoodlers-flex-konrad-acrylic/

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.