If You Could Only Have 3 Chinese Pens....

Ian the Jock

Baoer 388 stainless - This is my "tester" pen for new inks, so it gets a lot of use. Even when I finally work through my ~2-year backlog of samples, it will likely stay in pretty constant use.

Kaigelu 316 - I really like the way the white marble looks. And it writes well.

Jinhao 159 - Since I'll probably never own a 149, I'll enjoy this instead.

Runner up - Jinhao x450 blue/white marble. Still trying to decide if I like the section.

Possible contender - Don't have one (yet?), so it can't be on my list, but the Hero 767 has caught my eye.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• JLZenor

• luvpens

• Manalto

Runner up - Jinhao x450 blue/white marble. Still trying to decide if I like the section.

I just bought a Jinhao x450. I'm waiting (impatiently) for it to arrive... :D

- Jon Zenor

Christian, Author, Starship Captain, and all around fun guy.

Follow me on Twitter: @JLZenor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have there been any new (and interesting) fountain pens released in the china market? Most seem to be the same products that have been around for years.

It's not a bad writer, but a half hour later, you have to ink it again.

This forum seriously needs a "like" button.

On topic.

Jinhao 599. ( Just got them today, so this could change if they don't hold up at all, but I'm very pleased with the one I've inked so far. )

Jinhao Pocket/Space pen. Got them several years ago, so I've forgotten the correct name/number, It's a little tiny pocket pen,

3rd place, well, there's a few I could pick from small, light, cheap pens, but not one that significantly stands out from the rest.

The flashy, big, heavy, metal pens just aren't for me. ( I did try a few of them. )

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I’m a little late to the party but here’s my 2 cents (and 3 pens) :

Hero 616

Baoer 388

Jinhao 159

I write with these 3 regularly, the 159 every day. I get a kick out of that big metal pen and I feel at ease with it.

• 4 months later...

Duke D2 - Surprisingly expensive at about $15, but worth it. 38 grams.

Jinhao 159 - A great pen in both size and performance. 50 grams.

Wing Sung 590 - Huge, but only 25 grams and thus more carry friendly than most Chinese pens. Mine arrived in excellent working order. But many FPNers have not been so lucky.

I want to add the Jinhao X750, but I'm only allowed three pens. (I like the round section better than the semi-triangular X450.)

Thankfully it's just a make-believe, but I'd tentatively try this:

1. Hero 100, early 1980s built

2. Pre-war Golden Star ebonite 28, button filler, in-house 12K gold nib

3. Early 1930s William K Rockman for export back to the US.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

Hua Hong twist blue belter

Kaigelu 316

Jinhao 599

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

going to have to be the:

x750

and the metal bodied 599 with the plastic body nib on it. the nib that came with the metal version was horrible.

Rev. Zack

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Jinhao 886 has been added to my list of three having edged-out the Wing Sung 590. I must say the 886 is fine little pen, screw-on top, light weight, and inexpensive enough at $1.99 USD to be an EDC.

Some very cool pens on here. :thumbup:

Since I started this thread in April I have amassed quite a considerable amount of Chinese pens, however, surprisingly, my top 3 has stayed the same.

The Picasso is under serious competition from a few others like the Hero 7022, the red version of the Huahong Bob mentioned, and the Hero 572, in fact, quite a few, but the top 2 are beyond touch.

The Jinhao 217, and the Kaigelu 316 remain "The Top Dogs" and probably always will be.

Both will be making an appearance in the show and tell thread. :)

Ian

Impossible task for me. Since I started, only a few months ago, I've purchased around 30 Chinese pens, as well as examples from the US, Japan, Germany and India. The Indian pen is from ASA, not received as yet, the one a number of us are waiting for, the latest limited edition, that was evidently ordered by a large number of readers here.

To pick favorites among the Chinese pens would be very difficult. There are a number from present and past makers that are of high quality, combined with a very low price. I'm almost constantly finding pens that I just can't resist, for various reasons, mostly attractive designs, combined with the prices.

I've recently bought Luoshi and Lanbitou pens, as well a couple of Fuliwens. They are all of very nice quality, and also very well designed and, in some cases, priced way below what I would have expected to pay.

So many pens, and even my relatively low budget can afford dozens!!

I will like these three:

Hero 100, Hero 200, Wang Sung 101

Edited by butangmucat

Hero 359, Jinhao 599 and Baoer 388.

Jim Rittenhouse

Jim@memnison.com

Pens: Pilot Metro, Lamy Safari, Baoer 388, Hero 359, Jinhao 450-750-950, Platinum Preppy

Top Inks: DA Atlantic Blue, D Woodland Green, D Poppy Red, Hero 234 Black, N 54th Mass, JHerbin Vert Olive