• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• jmccarty3

• flipper_gv

• pelman

Very interesting comparison of FPs from diverse origin.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Overall, great and fun review of some excellent pens, jar.....

Thanks for sharing this...

Only real exception I have is your comment about number of turns (bazilion...) to open the pen. Think this gives a somewhat extreme perception of the pen to people not familiar with it.

I do agree that it takes more turns than it should, I count 5 to open. However, in reality, it doesn't take that long to open the pen.

I just opened up pen a few times and timed it. It takes between 2.5 - 3 seconds. So, not that long in the big scheme of things I'd say.......

FWIW, I've found the Extra 1930 (I've had 3 over the past 5 years or so...) to be one of the most enjoyable pens to write with compared to some of the pens you include in your review as well as some other highly regarded pens. Don't mean to say that it's better than the other pens per se, but that it is a very well made and enjoyable pen to use. But again, do agree that Montegrappa should have redesigned the cap threads by now.....but I can handle a few seconds for such a pen.

Just my 2 cents....of course, YMMV......

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

Overall, great and fun review of some excellent pens, jar.....

Thanks for sharing this...

Only real exception I have is your comment about number of turns (bazilion...) to open the pen. Think this gives a somewhat extreme perception of the pen to people not familiar with it.

I do agree that it takes more turns than it should, I count 5 to open. However, in reality, it doesn't take that long to open the pen.

I just opened up pen a few times and timed it. It takes between 2.5 - 3 seconds. So, not that long in the big scheme of things I'd say.......

FWIW, I've found the Extra 1930 (I've had 3 over the past 5 years or so...) to be one of the most enjoyable pens to write with compared to some of the pens you include in your review as well as some other highly regarded pens. Don't mean to say that it's better than the other pens per se, but that it is a very well made and enjoyable pen to use. But again, do agree that Montegrappa should have redesigned the cap threads by now.....but I can handle a few seconds for such a pen.

Just my 2 cents....of course, YMMV......

:)

Mark

Yeah, maybe a Brazillion was hyperbole but I had been using my GvFC Classic that takes about three quarters of a turn to cap or uncap when I wrote the first draft of the review.

My Website

I like big nibs and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a pen walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a triangular thing in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull up tough
'cause you notice that nib was stuffed
Deep in the feed it's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But that nib you got
Make Me so horney
Ooh, rump of smooth gold
You say you wanna get in my pocket
Well use me use me 'cause you aint that average pen

Sorry, I just couldn't resist and I know I've totally lowered the tone of this rather beautiful thread, but it did beg....