Comparing Six Large Nib Pens

jar

Thanks Jar for a wonderful, informative and enjoyable review.

The Sheaffer Legacy with one of those wonderful inlaid nibs have been on my radar for a long time. Does Sheaffer offer a stock stub nib in their latest Legacy Heritage?

I don't think so. And since it is an inlaid nib it's not really the best choice for modification.

My Website

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• jmccarty3

• flipper_gv

• pelman

Jar, your posts and photos are always appreciated. I have had my eye on a MG 1930 Extra in Bamboo for a long time, but having heard of reliability problems, I wonder if you have a recommendation for a dealer that would stand by the product. Stylo in Canada has the pen at a fairly good discount right now.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Jar, your posts and photos are always appreciated. I have had my eye on a MG 1930 Extra in Bamboo for a long time, but having heard of reliability problems, I wonder if you have a recommendation for a dealer that would stand by the product. Stylo in Canada has the pen at a fairly good discount right now.

I hadn't heard about the reliability problems but I've had great luck with support from nibs.com, fountain pen hospital, fahrney's, bertram's inkwell off the top of my head.

My Website

Remember this is the 1050 with a solid Sterling silver vermeil cap. It is the cap and brass piston filler that make it so heavy. The regular 1000 is a little lighter than the 1050.

Thank you. I forgot about the solid silver cap adding the extra weight.

http://www.ishafoundation.org/images/stories/inner/ie-logo.gif

Inner Engineering Link

I hadn't heard about the reliability problems but I've had great luck with support from nibs.com, fountain pen hospital, fahrney's, bertram's inkwell off the top of my head.

Thanks--I have one more question. From your photos, I gather that the nib on the MG Extra is longer (or is not inserted as far into the section) than on the Extra 1930. Is that the only difference between them?

Thanks--I have one more question. From your photos, I gather that the nib on the MG Extra is longer (or is not inserted as far into the section) than on the Extra 1930. Is that the only difference between them?

Montegrappa was at that time using hand cut and fitted ebonite feeds and the only difference I can see between the nibs on the two examples is how far they are inserted. And it is inserted further on my Extra 1930 then on the Extra.

The other differences are the colors, packaging and that the Extra had a barrel imprint based on the actual 1930s pens.

http://www.fototime.com/3EE8B0DC9D5E174/large.jpg

My Website

Montegrappa was at that time using hand cut and fitted ebonite feeds and the only difference I can see between the nibs on the two examples is how far they are inserted. And it is inserted further on my Extra 1930 then on the Extra.

The other differences are the colors, packaging and that the Extra had a barrel imprint based on the actual 1930s pens.

http://www.fototime.com/3EE8B0DC9D5E174/large.jpg

Thanks for the info. I am seriously considering getting one when the Pelikan 850 I'm expecting is paid for.

Once upon a time, ink was corrosive. It "ate" steel nibs. Non-corroding gold became the standard

for fountain pen nibs. But IT IS GOLD ! So, bigger nibs were more prestigious.. Bigger was

nicer >>> more gold. Then, came stainless steel and non-corrosive inks.

Personally, I don't care "pohgees" about prestige. If my Pelikan M1000 , with the huge, gold nib,

didn't write well, i'd get rid of it. My best writer is a Parker 51, with a tiny nib. Even THAT is hidden

by the hood.

I love a big, fat pen that self-settles into my hand, as long as it writes well. Do these pens write

as beautifully as they look ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Although I have never considered going higher than I guess my Pelikan M800, I appreciate knowing there are nibs which are bigger than #6. Briefly, I thought about purchasing a Pelikan M1000. However, since now I rarely use my M800, I doubt purchasing the M1000 would be worth it to me. Thank you though, I appreciated everything about you comparison.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I love a big, fat pen that self-settles into my hand, as long as it writes well. Do these pens write

as beautifully as they look ?

Sure. I try to make sure all my pens write well, reliably and with many different inks.

Do they write better than some of my not so pretty pens? Nope.

My Website

I have several of the above pens. The Montegrappa Extra in parchment gets the least pocket time. We have just never bonded.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/134371-montegrappa-extra-parchment-celluloid-fine-nib/

It is a beautiful pen, so I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

I have several M1000s and M1005s. They are very nice pens and I like the big springy nibs, but if I have a lot of writing to do, I take an M800.

I also like MB 149s. They are big pens, but maybe that 1mm smaller section makes the difference. I would take them out more often, but if dropped, they tend to break. And MB charges for repairs, about $50 the last time I did it.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Although I have never considered going higher than I guess my Pelikan M800, I appreciate knowing there are nibs which are bigger than #6. Briefly, I thought about purchasing a Pelikan M1000. However, since now I rarely use my M800, I doubt purchasing the M1000 would be worth it to me. Thank you though, I appreciated everything about you comparison.

I own several M1000 nibs and several M800 nibs. The feel of the M1000 nibs is far more responsive than the M800 nibs, and, for that matter, the MB 149. The M1000 nibs have a nice "springy" feel, although they do not flex. I hope you have an opportunity someday to write with an M1000. If it seems too long or heavy, you can always write with it unposted. I would love to have an M1050 with a black barrel and vermeil cap, but for now I am expecting an M850 from Rolf at missing-pen.de.

Well, I thought I covered that on the website but maybe I can do better now,

The Extra and Extra 1930 are part of the Classica family of Montegrappa pens. The body is the same quality celluloid as all the others in that family and starts about the same size and same shape but since the section is larger the body itself is slight shorter than the Classica. In addition the section is Sterling silver instead of celluloid with just Sterling silver furniture. The nib is also larger than what is found on the Classica or Historia.

http://www.fototime.com/88B02D05BE6161A/large.jpg

Extra on top, Classic beneath

The other differences is that the Extra and Extra 1930 are piston filled and have a wider incised cap band.

Feel varies based on section width but I find the balance the same across the whole family.

If you still have questions feel free to ask.

Oh I did read that, the specs and all. But, like I said, what is it about these pens that you personally like so much? I want to know your point of view, your opinion, what details about these pens you like so much.

Like some people would say:"I really like the new Omas Paragon. The metal section helps having the balance nearer the nib even if it's a piston filler and it adds to the weight of the pen, making it feel like a true important, imposing pen, as a flagship should (IMO). Also, Omas nibs give very little feedback, as it is known. Some might like a more tactile feel, à la Sailor, but I prefer smoothness". Stuff like that. It's just we don't see many pro Montegrappa people.

Btw, if I annoy you, just ignore me.

Edited by flipper_gv

Oh I did read that, the specs and all. But, like I said, what is it about these pens that you personally like so much? I want to know your point of view, your opinion, what details about these pens you like so much.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I like the Montegrappa Extra or Extra 1930 so much more than other pens.

It was included in this review because it fits the criteria of a relatively wide bodied pen with a large nib. If you read the summary at the end of the review I tried to outline what I liked (the beautiful celluloid an wet luscious nib) and disliked (it takes about a brazillion turns to cap or uncap the pen) and pointed out that it fell in the middle of the pack among these six pens.

Actually, among my Montegrappas the Extra and Extra 1930 would fall towards my least often chosen pens. That does not mean I do not like the pen very much but rather that Montegrappa simply has made many, many truly desirable pens.

If you look at the body of posts I have made here at FPN you should be aware that I seldom pick favorites but rather consider all my pens as favorites just as all my kids or wives or friends or foods would be favorites. I will say that I find Apple software and most Apple products as certainly not favorites and Lite Beer just spawn of Satan and cars with WiFi just plain stupid and "sharing" what I just bought sophomoric and hate getting haircuts even more than trips to the dentist and Late Night television a wasteland and that the Ring Trilogy movies were terrible and that among my Montegrappas the first version Classicas get more pocket time than the Extra or Extra 1930 and Juliet gets more pocket time than either.

Does that help?

My Website

Question, does the Montegrappa Reminiscence Large also have the same large nib as the Extra 1930?

Question, does the Montegrappa Reminiscence Large also have the same large nib as the Extra 1930?

No, it is a smaller nib.

My Website

Yes Jar, thanks for posting these great photos and putting up with all our questions. You are a very valued member of this community.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I like the Montegrappa Extra or Extra 1930 so much more than other pens.

It was included in this review because it fits the criteria of a relatively wide bodied pen with a large nib. If you read the summary at the end of the review I tried to outline what I liked (the beautiful celluloid an wet luscious nib) and disliked (it takes about a brazillion turns to cap or uncap the pen) and pointed out that it fell in the middle of the pack among these six pens.

Actually, among my Montegrappas the Extra and Extra 1930 would fall towards my least often chosen pens. That does not mean I do not like the pen very much but rather that Montegrappa simply has made many, many truly desirable pens.

If you look at the body of posts I have made here at FPN you should be aware that I seldom pick favorites but rather consider all my pens as favorites just as all my kids or wives or friends or foods would be favorites. I will say that I find Apple software and most Apple products as certainly not favorites and Lite Beer just spawn of Satan and cars with WiFi just plain stupid and "sharing" what I just bought sophomoric and hate getting haircuts even more than trips to the dentist and Late Night television a wasteland and that the Ring Trilogy movies were terrible and that among my Montegrappas the first version Classicas get more pocket time than the Extra or Extra 1930 and Juliet gets more pocket time than either.

Does that help?

This post is excellent. Your pens are excellent Thank you for your contributions and information, sir.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe