Sailor For Bungbox 88 Green Tea

white_lotus

As may be well known presently, Sailor produces custom inks for select stores in Japan. Some such store is called "Bungbox". They have a line of about 37 inks, some of which are special edition. Some inks from this collection have become well-known within the FPN community of ink lovers.

Recently, Vanness Pen has started stocking this line of inks. Well they're trying to do so. They get a few in, then sell out. They can't seem to get a large lot of extensive stock in at one time. Currently they only have a few bottles of a couple inks. Perhaps this will change in the future. Also, Bungbox now has an Amazon shop, where they have a few inks and some custom pens. I prefer to use their Japanese site translated by google. I only wish it would translate the buttons! Though perhaps that would make "Add to Cart" far too easy.

I recently ordered from Vanness upon their last shipment some of the inks. One of them is named "88 Green Tea". It is apparently only available during the season when new green tea is available. So it may be that they'll have made a certain number of bottles each year around the same time.

The color is muted yellow-green. At first I wasn't sure that I would like it. Dark, murky greens are the ones I love. But this ink I've found to be very nice. And it works well for me to add notes, annotations, and corrections to a page in dark green.

This is one of the least water-resistant inks that I've tested. The image implies that a decent amount of ink remains behind, and it does, but no where near as much as many others. Water droplets lift ink right off the page. Of course, tea blends completely with water, so the ink captures that quality as well as the appearance.

The inks come in very classy boxes with vintage style bottles.

fpn_1429270972__img_3151.jpg

fpn_1429271031__img_3152.jpg

Sorry about the shadows, but this ended up being the best pic of the lot. It does capture very well the range of tones possible with this ink.

fpn_1429271079__img_3155.jpg

A closeup view at an angle to try and show details of the ink.

fpn_1429271287__img_3145.jpg

Waterfastness test

If you compare this with others I've done, you'll see this ink is much less waterfast or even resistant.

fpn_1429271176__img_3158.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• Cyber6

• Uncial

• sakayume

Beautiful! I've been wanting to get a bottle, but Bung Box seems to be sold out of all their single bottles.

Incidentally, do you how similar/different this is to the Kobe Sorakuen Green Tea, since they both have green tea in their names?

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Very different. I don't have this one in person, but Kobe #34 is a LOT more green, a lot less yellow.

I'm curious how this one compares to Tanna Japonensis. I've held off on BB 88 because I don't tend to love this colour range, and Tanna Japonensis is so awesome I find it hard to imagine I'll like another one better.

Very different. I don't have this one in person, but Kobe #34 is a LOT more green, a lot less yellow.

I'm curious how this one compares to Tanna Japonensis. I've held off on BB 88 because I don't tend to love this colour range, and Tanna Japonensis is so awesome I find it hard to imagine I'll like another one better.

Saskia... Tanna Japonensis is a lot more green (picture from Attila below). I have a bottle or 88 coming my way sometime at the end of April. You will be able to see it in person on our May Pen Meet.

I will agree with you that you don't tend to like this range of green-gold. ;)

C.

from Attila's review.. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/269711-sailor-kingdom-note-tanna-japonensis/

http://kepfeltoltes.hu/140615/P1190317_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Good to know, thanks. :) I don't have either, but I was considering Kobe #34 as I like almost anything green tea related. Not any longer though, as I think I'd like this one better.

I have Tanna Japonensis too, but haven't found a pen to put it into yet, though judging by all the reviews singing its praises here I really need to.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

I think Tanna might be my favourite ink; it is very, very nice. It has much less obvious shading than this one and is a good bit darker with more of a brownish undertone.

Thanks again for another of your great reviews. I also ordered this ink from Vanness but also ordered the Happiness @ the same time. When I got the Purple Krone pen from Speerbob's Ebay auction I chose the Happiness & still have this one "in waiting." BUT I am really excited to know what awaits me thanks to this review. I am "thinking" maybe an Omas "Saft" green pen or maybe it is time to give the Montegrappa "Parchment" a rest from Alt Goldrun? Whatever gets the fill I will be happy to see it's magic on paper.

Thank you everyone for the nice words! Glad you are enjoying these reviews.

I do have a Tanna sample here and also Kobe #28 and they're next on the "fill list". So within the next week or so I should be able to get reviews done. Maybe even a comparison as well.

Thank you everyone for the nice words! Glad you are enjoying these reviews.

I do have a Tanna sample here and also Kobe #28 and they're next on the "fill list". So within the next week or so I should be able to get reviews done. Maybe even a comparison as well.

Yes, the reviews are terrific--well-selected inks and well-crafted prose...much appreciated!

Thank you, White Lotus.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I'll be interested to see a comparison of Tanna and 88. Are they both the perfect yellow green?

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

The Edison NP still has the 88, and just filled the Gate City Belmont with T. japonesis, Evening cicada. So a comparison can be given! So far, the Evening cicada is more muted yellow green, more on the green side. The 88 more on the yellow side of the color range. At least in the modern nib pens that I typically use.

Thanks for the review. Looks good in the Vac.

Edited by Intellidepth

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Very pretty colour...

Great idea taking a photo at an angle.... gives you a extra good impression of the ink...

Great review..... more please :-)

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism :)

Can't wait to see this comparison!

Thank you for the gorgeous review!

Also, for those interested, I saw some of the 88 available at Vanness.