The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sailor For Bungbox 88 Green Tea

bungbox sailor ink

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 white_lotus

white_lotus

Caution: Absinthe Distiller with Ink

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:49

As may be well known presently, Sailor produces custom inks for select stores in Japan. Some such store is called "Bungbox". They have a line of about 37 inks, some of which are special edition. Some inks from this collection have become well-known within the FPN community of ink lovers.

Recently, Vanness Pen has started stocking this line of inks. Well they're trying to do so. They get a few in, then sell out. They can't seem to get a large lot of extensive stock in at one time. Currently they only have a few bottles of a couple inks. Perhaps this will change in the future. Also, Bungbox now has an Amazon shop, where they have a few inks and some custom pens. I prefer to use their Japanese site translated by google. I only wish it would translate the buttons! Though perhaps that would make "Add to Cart" far too easy.

I recently ordered from Vanness upon their last shipment some of the inks. One of them is named "88 Green Tea". It is apparently only available during the season when new green tea is available. So it may be that they'll have made a certain number of bottles each year around the same time.

The color is muted yellow-green. At first I wasn't sure that I would like it. Dark, murky greens are the ones I love. But this ink I've found to be very nice. And it works well for me to add notes, annotations, and corrections to a page in dark green.

This is one of the least water-resistant inks that I've tested. The image implies that a decent amount of ink remains behind, and it does, but no where near as much as many others. Water droplets lift ink right off the page. Of course, tea blends completely with water, so the ink captures that quality as well as the appearance.

The inks come in very classy boxes with vintage style bottles. 

fpn_1429270972__img_3151.jpg

fpn_1429271031__img_3152.jpg

Sorry about the shadows, but this ended up being the best pic of the lot. It does capture very well the range of tones possible with this ink.

fpn_1429271079__img_3155.jpg

A closeup view at an angle to try and show details of the ink.

fpn_1429271287__img_3145.jpg

Waterfastness test

If you compare this with others I've done, you'll see this ink is much less waterfast or even resistant.

fpn_1429271176__img_3158.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:54

AWESOME REVIEW !!!!!!    Thanks so much !!!!  :lol: :lol:

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#3 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:55

It looks very nice -  very like MB's Palm Green

#4 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Inkfluencer

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,328 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:00

Nice one! It was once in my consideration but I decided against it because I won't have much use for it.

#5 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:19

Nice one. Really, really nice. Even more than nice.

#6 candide

candide

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 12:24

Beautiful! I've been wanting to get a bottle, but Bung Box seems to be sold out of all their single bottles.

Incidentally, do you how similar/different this is to the Kobe Sorakuen Green Tea, since they both have green tea in their names?

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

#7 saskia_madding

saskia_madding

Donor Pen

• FPN Super Moderators

• 3,334 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 14:12

Very different.  I don't have this one in person, but Kobe #34 is a LOT more green, a lot less yellow.  

I'm curious how this one compares to Tanna Japonensis.  I've held off on BB 88 because I don't tend to love this colour range, and Tanna Japonensis is so awesome I find it hard to imagine I'll like another one better.

#8 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 14:18

Very different.  I don't have this one in person, but Kobe #34 is a LOT more green, a lot less yellow.  

I'm curious how this one compares to Tanna Japonensis.  I've held off on BB 88 because I don't tend to love this colour range, and Tanna Japonensis is so awesome I find it hard to imagine I'll like another one better.

Saskia... Tanna Japonensis is a lot more green (picture from Attila below).    I have a bottle or 88 coming my way sometime at the end of April.  You will be able to see it in person on our May Pen Meet.

I will agree with you that you don't tend to like this range of green-gold.   ;)

C.

from Attila's review..  http://www.fountainp...nna-japonensis/

P1190317_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#9 candide

candide

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 14:20

Good to know, thanks. :) I don't have either, but I was considering Kobe #34 as I like almost anything green tea related. Not any longer though, as I think I'd like this one better.

I have Tanna Japonensis too, but haven't found a pen to put it into yet, though judging by all the reviews singing its praises here I really need to.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

#10 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,835 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 19:37

I think Tanna might be my favourite ink; it is very, very nice. It has much less obvious shading than this one and is a good bit darker with more of a brownish undertone.

#11 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2015 - 21:38

Thanks again for another of your great reviews.  I also ordered this ink from Vanness but also ordered the Happiness @ the same time.  When I got the Purple Krone pen from Speerbob's Ebay auction I chose the Happiness & still have this one "in waiting."  BUT I am really excited to know what awaits me thanks to this review.  I am "thinking" maybe an Omas "Saft" green pen or maybe it is time to give the Montegrappa "Parchment" a rest from Alt Goldrun?  Whatever gets the fill I will be happy to see it's magic on paper.

#12 white_lotus

white_lotus

• 2,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 00:59

Thank you everyone for the nice words! Glad you are enjoying these reviews.

I do have a Tanna sample here and also Kobe #28 and they're next on the "fill list". So within the next week or so I should be able to get reviews done. Maybe even a comparison as well.

#13 Jackson

Jackson

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 20:39

Thank you everyone for the nice words! Glad you are enjoying these reviews.

I do have a Tanna sample here and also Kobe #28 and they're next on the "fill list". So within the next week or so I should be able to get reviews done. Maybe even a comparison as well.

Yes, the reviews are terrific--well-selected inks and well-crafted prose...much appreciated!

#14 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,046 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2015 - 22:48

Thank you, White Lotus.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#15 Sinistral1

Sinistral1

Ink Minion

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 3,003 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 03:19

I'll be interested to see a comparison of Tanna and 88. Are they both the perfect yellow green?

Breathe.  Take one step at a time.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You're not getting older, you are only moving through time.  Be calm and positive.

#16 white_lotus

white_lotus

• 2,599 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 11:20

The Edison NP still has the 88, and just filled the Gate City Belmont with T. japonesis, Evening cicada. So a comparison can be given! So far, the Evening cicada is more muted yellow green, more on the green side. The 88 more on the yellow side of the color range. At least in the modern nib pens that I typically use.

#17 Intellidepth

Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 13:30

Thanks for the review. Looks good in the Vac.

Edited by Intellidepth, 19 April 2015 - 13:30.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

#18 Morbus Curiositas

Morbus Curiositas

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 17:53

Very pretty colour...

Great idea taking a photo at an angle.... gives you a extra good impression of the ink...

Great review..... more please :-)

Peter

Das leben ist wie ein Perpetuum Mobile mit ein Mangel..... Immer im Bewegung jedoch nicht unendlich. (life is like a troubled Perpetuum Mobile ever moving but not for ever)

Tricked throughout the centuries...

For centuries people had been tricked by kings & "religion-alism"

In the 20th century people got tricked by communism

Today people get tricked by (neo)capitalism  :) 

#19 fireant

fireant

The Good Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2015 - 21:23

Can't wait to see this comparison!

Thank you for the gorgeous review!

Also, for those interested, I saw some of the 88 available at Vanness.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bungbox, sailor ink

Sponsored Content

|