Parker Red Oyster Vintage Duofold, Button Filler.....

Alexcat

Got this on fleabay, my first button filler: I've found that Im gravitating towards Parker when it comes to 'oldies'.

My first button filler.....I've done nothing to it, yet, except admire it....any tips or advice very welcome, in case I make a dogs breakfast if it.

Planning to have a pen day.....had a busy week, and relaxing with pens and inks snd writing sounds like a plan.

I may also make a big pot of chili.....fancy something tasty. I just bung everything in the pot, and it cooks itself....

Alex

post-110936-0-21292300-1429088076.jpg

post-110936-0-57908400-1429088119.jpg

post-110936-0-24730800-1429088161_thumb.jpg

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• penrivers

• gweimer1

• peterg

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oops....Spock and Data beamed down instead of a pen photo....mods, should I remove, or leave?

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

Don't move Spock and Data picture I have a pinto cat with white mouth spot and black lips, beautiful. Have a good time with your pens and enjoy your carne con chili. Greetings.

Don't move Spock and Data picture I have a pinto cat with white mouth spot and black lips, beautiful. Have a good time with your pens and enjoy your carne con chili. Greetings.

Thank you.....wasn't sure if it was maybe not done, for reasons of using up space, or such.

Spock is snuggled beside me, snoring gently, Data is in the cat sized sofa bed. They're Exotics( short haired Persians) hence the big cute smooshy baby faces. Like giant kittens. They help me hang onto my sanity dome days.

As do pens....everything about them: touch, smell, deciding which to use to do what, deciding the colour/shade of ink, learning.....ah, it's a wonderfully therapeutic and distracting hobby.....hobby doesn't feel like the right word, as it's so much more....

Alex

Enjoy it. I love Duofolds. Very pretty pen.

Thank you! Any tips on trying a button filler fir the first time? Flushing, then filling, with a shade of deep red, or burgundy, I think....

Alex

No real advice, as I'm still nowhere near an expert. The only thing to be aware of is that if you haven't replaced the sac, or know that it's been done before you receiving it, there's the chance that it might not be reliable. I'd be wary of using any really saturated ink in it before knowing what the inside condition is.

Looks like a Canadian Senior to me Alex. I think it is a friction fit section and a 20 sac. If the pressure bar needs replacing chillipea on e-bay has them. Be careful to refit the pressure bar after installing the section in the barrel or you may burst the barrel against the bar (as I did). Still, you have a couple of experts in Eric Wilson and Carneill Pens up there if you get into trouble.

I am crazy for the old Duofolds. I have ten Seniors and Juniors. I believe that they are hard rubber.

Anyway, after 80-years, it can become brittle (Don't we all ?) .Drop one just right, and it shatters.

I would opt for professional restoration. You will be using a treasure.

Just one good photo of the pen ? I am not fooled. You just wanted an excuse to show off cats ! :rolleyes:

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks, all, for the feedback

Alex

There's some tips here. The good news is that that's a celluloid model so it's (slightly) less brittle, but (substantially) more prone to catching fire if you make an unwise choice about heat sources. I can't remember off the top of my head whether the section is friction-fit or threaded, because both sorts appear in Duofolds over the years; you're safest proceeding as if its threaded until you can see that it isn't.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Was there a pen in that photo? Nice cats! Nice pen too! We have a Maine Coon cat that is just beautiful, but very temperamental.

Also, what gweimer1 and Ernst said.

Thanks for sharing.

Glenn

This is the stray cat I was talking about.

fpn_1429120184__dsc_0007_039_copy.jpg

Och, the sweetie cheetie! (Cheetie = cat....old word! don't know if 'youngsters' use it now, but my grandmother did...."cheetie bess", to use the full expression. Scots expression)

Alex at 1.30am, insomnia my friend....off in search of the Perfect Purple....

And again thanks for all the input, both fountain and feline....this is a grand place to come in the wee sma' 'oors when sleep escapes me and my head wants to go off a wandering down those dark alleyways of grief and despair....it's not just a forum for fountain pens, it's a haven.

Alex

And here I had assumed that Spock and Data were supervising the unpacking of the pen.... :lol:

I'd be interested in hearing about updates. I don't have any button fillers (yet), so they're a whole new ball of wax, as it were.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."