Pilot Prera Vs Pilot Metropolitan Fine Nib

xbg101

Hello!

I've had a Lamy Safari with an EF nib for a while and I was looking for something that was finer than the nib lamy uses. I narrowed down my search to the Pilo Prera and the Pilot Metropolitan. I used the Nib Nook provided by Goulet Pens and it looks like the Metro's fine nib was slightly finer than the fine nib on the Prera. I was wondering if there was someone here that has or had both of them, and could speak on that issue and hopefully provide some clearer pictures. Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CarlosCaligrafia

• xbg101

• risingsun

• httpmom

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are essentially the same nib in the Prera and Metropolitan, and are completely interchangeable, so don't count on any significant difference.

And if you want even finer, buy the Prera or Metro (whichever you prefer) and also a Pilot Penmanship, which has an even finer, fully interchangeable nib with the other two, and swap as you like.

Edited by risingsun

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I prefer the Metro Nib. My Prera F was scratchy and dry, my Metro is wet and smooth.

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

I own both and find them to have identical nibs. If you are going to do calligraphy with either (since you posted in fountain and dip pens)you will find the nibs are not at all flexible.

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Thanks guys! I guess I'll have to decide by looking at the other things each pen offers. Also sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Thanks guys! I guess I'll have to decide by looking at the other things each pen offers. Also sorry if this is in the wrong section!

So what pen you decided :)

The nib is identical but I find the Prera cooler (if you get the demonstrator)

post-71802-0-80415300-1429453063_thumb.jpg

Pens:

Sheaffer Targa M / Parker 45 M / Sheaffer Imperial M / Parker Arrow

Lamy Vista F / Lamy Safari EF / PELIKAN M400 M Vintage (for sale)

Pilot Custom 74 F / Namiki Falcon SF / Pilot VP M / Pilot Prera / Pilot Metropolitan F M

Sailor Sapporo B / Platinum 3776 BB Stub

Pilot Custom 91 SFM / Pilot Custom 74 Dark Blue B

INSTAGRAM: @carlosoutfocus

• 1 year later...

The visible part of the nib looks the same, but it seems to me that the collectors and the bases of the nibs are different. The larger collector in the Prera resembles that of the Pilot Varsity disposable, the Pilot Petit-1 and the Platinum Preppy. I think the Prera is wetter, and this may make it feel smoother.

If you can find someone who has the nib and ink you'll be using, try it out first. I started with a fine Pilot Metro and found I did not like it atall in comparison to the Lamy nib. i ended up puling the F nib out of the Metro and replacing it with an italic from a Pilot Plumix. even then I rarely use it as I prefer the feel of the Lamy pens and the nibs.