Is There Really No Way To Determine A Montblanc's Nib Size?

hit2cho

Hey all!

Once upon a time, not so long ago, I had a 145 Chopin with a fine nib. I loved the pen's look, and the size was nice, but I never liked the nib. At times, I felt the nib on my old beater Pilot Metropolitan was better than this one. So I sold the pen and vowed to stay away from Montblanc for as long as I could, which was just under two months.

I decided to look into used 146s and found one for the right price. The seller did not know the nib size, except that it was an oblique. I've had it for about a week and have fallen in love with this oblique nib, to the point that I may consider moving towards obliques from this point on. I've read over and over that it's nearly impossible to give modern Montblancs a nib size just by looking at them and seeing a writing comparison.

With that being said, to those of you who own oblique Montblancs, what does this look like? The feed has a small letter D, which I doubt will lend any help to identifying nib size.

Also, I've read on here that it's darn near impossible to find a counterfeit Montblanc piston filler, and while I'm not having any doubts about this pen, I am curious as to if Montblanc is putting "Pix", "GERMANY" and "metal" on the back of the cap clips. I've seen Pix and GERMANY, but haven't heard of "metal" (lowercase) being on the back of these clips.

Help and thanks!

post-116940-0-48392800-1428812055_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-49989800-1428812067_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-35093300-1428812071_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-14504800-1428812075_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-15396700-1428812079_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-86392200-1428812082_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-13073200-1428812086_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-59378800-1428812089_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-85786800-1428812092_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-49847800-1428812111_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-23811000-1428812115_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-82070600-1428812189_thumb.jpg

post-116940-0-44355500-1428812191_thumb.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• jar

• torstar

• I like mango cheesecake

My guess would be OM.

Also, I've read on here that it's darn near impossible to find a counterfeit Montblanc piston filler, and while I'm not having any doubts about this pen, I am curious as to if Montblanc is putting "Pix", "GERMANY" and "metal" on the back of the cap clips. I've seen Pix and GERMANY, but haven't heard of "metal" (lowercase) being on the back of these clips.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think there's a systematic theory about putting 'metal' on the back of the clip.

I think OB. Hard to be sure from the picture.

If you can get to a boutique, you can compare the the 146 tester set.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

hit2cho,

I recently picked up a 90th Anniversary 145 from a reputable dealer and on the back of the clip it is marked "made in Germany" and under that is the word

"metal" . My 1990 149 has no markings on the back of the clip. My 2007 Starwalker is marked "Germany" "metal" and "PIX". So no discernible rhyme or reason to the markings, at least from where I sit.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

While the pictures seem to show an OB nib the writing sample seems to show a fine nib. When you used it did you keep the face of the nib on the paper?

My Website

While the pictures seem to show an OB nib the writing sample seems to show a fine nib. When you used it did you keep the face of the nib on the paper?

It's my first oblique, still getting used to it. I'm right handed and writing with the nib pointed to my left.

It's my first oblique, still getting used to it. I'm right handed and writing with the nib pointed to my left.

Yup. Relax. Slow down a while and look at the nib on the paper and rotate the body until the whole surface is on the page. Trust me. You will love the results.

My Website

Play around with the angle. You'll get it.

Oblique nibs are the preferred choice of many.

Although, I never fully along got with them. Sold my obliques and went back to straights.

I'd say that your nib looks OB, from the photographs, only? Or a generous OM?

As you get used to it, the angle you hold the pen at will alter the writing sample and give a clearer guessing guide.

Nice pen. Congratulations.

Edit: Jar beat me to it. Good advice.

Edited by CS388

hit2cho,

I recently picked up a 90th Anniversary 145 from a reputable dealer and on the back of the clip it is marked "made in Germany" and under that is the word

"metal" . My 1990 149 has no markings on the back of the clip. My 2007 Starwalker is marked "Germany" "metal" and "PIX". So no discernible rhyme or reason to the markings, at least from where I sit.

To top that off the cartridge holder on my 147 says " metal" on it too.

As far as I can tell, Mont Blanc doesn't put any indication of nib size on their nibs or feeds. If you don't have the original box or the little sticker on the pen, you just have to look at the tip, write with it, and take a guess.

I went to my local MB store on Sunday. They have a new drawer system to hold their demo pens. It also contains giant, approximately 2x3 cm, cast nibs to show the different styles of their nibs. One for extra-fine, fine, and medium; one for broad and double broad; and one for the obliques. The one for the broads is more like an italic nib.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

May take a few hours of writing to find the sweet spot without thinking of it. As a lefty this footing of the oblique requires an unnatural in-turn (or out-turn??)

Edited by torstar

May take a few hours of writing to find the sweet spot without thinking of it. As a lefty this footing of the oblique requires an unnatural in-turn (or out-turn??)

The problem is getting off on the right foot with a left foot nib. :P

My Website

The problem is getting off on the right foot with a left foot nib. :P

Very droll, much appreciated...

So I understand there are right footed nibs out there, but my acquisition days are winding up and I don't think I will be missing much in the long run....

I think OB. Hard to be sure from the picture.

If you can get to a boutique, you can compare the the 146 tester set.

Boutiques and authorized dealers can show you writing samples comparing various nib sizes. You can probably find it on line, too Edited by meiers

• 6 months later...

I haven't been online in awhile, but I did a photo comparison to my Left OM and I agree with the others. You probably have a left OB based on my measurements.

But it really doesnt matter what it is if you enjoy the pen, unless you are looking to find more obliques. And the nib maker can influence how well it writes.... as well as the skill of the writer.

So enjoy!

And seek out other pens and nib combinations, they are wonderful and allow a range of expression in your writing.