North Carolina/asheville Origami Ink

fountainpenlady

Has anyone in N.C. visited Origami Ink. Can you share some information. I want this to be one of my bucket list adventures. Yet, since it is on the otherside of North Carolina, I would like some idea whether it is worth the travel.

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• MrThoth

• TheGreatRoe

• AAAndrew

As a resident of central NC I really don't have any local brick & mortar stores (there's one but it's really a stationery store with a small selection of pens). So even though it's a hike I consider Origami Ink my "home store."

Whenever I head through Asheville I make it a point to stop in, and at least get some ink. It's a lovely store, in a nice artsy part of an artsy town, and the gentleman* who runs the place is knowledgeable and very nice. My first visit to the store he turned me onto Franklin-Christoph pens as he felt they were a very good pen for the money. I bought one, and I have to say I agree with his assessment.

As to whether it's worth it to drive from Fayetteville...for me, it wouldn't be worth a trip JUST to see the store. But you wanted to hang out in Asheville for a day or two AND see the store then I think it could make for the highlight of a great weekend. I love Asheville, and if I could find a tech job there I'd live there in a heartbeat. Make a weekend of it. Go to the store, walk around downtown and wander through the several artists' co-ops.

P.S. Around the corner from Origami Ink is a restaurant called Salsa's. Go. You will not be disappointed. Fair warning though--when their menu says a dish "has some heat" understand that this is dramatic understatement.

* Each time I've visited his wife and kids were also there. The whole family may run the store but the only one who's ever helped me was the guy. Although one of his kids did pepper me with questions about what pens I like. ;)

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Most appreciated.

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I second dcroe05's comments. I live in Greensboro, and I wouldn't drive to Asheville just to go to Origami Ink -- but if I'm already in Asheville, or driving past Asheville, I make a point to stop in.

There are also several great burger joints and other restaurants relatively close by, and IIRC some used book stores too.

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

You both are gems for your suggestion and confirmation. Somehow, some page which includes hotels was still up moments ago on my computer. I am beginning my planning stage of researching hotels and things to do. I have viisted the Biltmore a couple of times so I don't need to include it on my list of things to do. I am traveling by myself, so I probably won't be doing any night explorations. If there is one place in North Carolina I would love to live, continue my leisurely early retirement it would be Asheville. I am a creative sort and love college towns. Also, one of the first Universities I ever wanted to attend is located in Asheville. Also, just saw The Longest Ride and it is set in North Carolina. One of the memorable mentions is Black Mountain College, so it has inspired me to want to visit. For now, Origami and a couple of sites will have to do. I am not ready.

To both of you, thank you. :D

Edited by fountainpenlady

Oh...lord.... A store that combines both of my obsessions

:lticaptd: I comprehend, why do you think I am willing to drive to the other end of North Carolina just to check it out?! :wub:

Caveat: despite its name, I don't recall Origami Ink having a lot in the way of origami supplies and resources -- it's more of a high-end paper store.

Here's its website for those who'd like to take a virtual look around: http://www.origamiink.com/

As for other things to do in the area, there's hiking, renting a mountain cabin with a jacuzzi for a weekend getaway, poking around in antique stores in the smaller cities and towns in the region, skiing, and so on. Check out http://www.westernncattractions.com/ for plenty of other suggestions.

If you pass through Greensboro on the way, don't forget to wave hello. ;) I won't sell you any of my pens or origami books and supplies, though. ;)

Edited by MrThoth

MrThoth

Caveat: despite its name, I don't recall Origami Ink having a lot in the way of origami supplies and resources -- it's more of a high-end paper store.

Here's its website for those who'd like to take a virtual look around: http://www.origamiink.com/

As for other things to do in the area, there's hiking, renting a mountain cabin with a jacuzzi for a weekend getaway, poking around in antique stores in the smaller cities and towns in the region, skiing, and so on. Check out http://www.westernncattractions.com/ for plenty of other suggestions.

If you pass through Greensboro on the way, don't forget to wave hello. ;) I won't sell you any of my pens or origami books and supplies, though. ;)

Wow! Not an outdoors woman, but enough indoor interests to make it worth while! Thanks :yikes: Black Mountain on the list and for me as outdoor as I intend to enjoy.

Okay, yet *another* reason to someday make the trip to Asheville. (Previously on the list: touring Biltmore and going shopping at Earth Guild, which is a fiber store).

Need to win the lottery, so I can afford to pay income taxes, pay for the new roof, pay off both vehicles (plus get the bumper and undercarriage fixed on one of them), etc. etc.

Oh, yeah, and I'm still waiting on invoices for the KWZI inks group buy (round 3). And I'm about to have a couple of whopping credit card bills from when we were out of town in March, thanks to issues with cards being declined a couple of times:

"Oh it might be a fraudulent purchase because it was used in Mississippi...." "Uh, no. And neither are these charges for the past THREE DAYS. They're all legit. Really."

"Oh, these might be fraudulent charges because your card was used in Mississippi...." "uh, no. And neither are these OTHER charges and didn't we all go through this with you people Sunday afternoon?" "Oh, but having credit is a PRIVILEGE!" "Really? So is cutting up this card -- which I've had since 1984 -- and for which I NEVER had a pin number, so when the *EFF* did you decide I had one -- and using a different card with my Paypal account!" [This, BTW, for a DIFFERENT card....] :angry:

"Oh, you've exceeded your credit limit on your Sam's Card. Which we cut by a THIRD without telling you, when we switched over from Discover to MasterCard.... And no, we *won't* raise your limit even though you're a business member, and even though you're currently in the black to the tune of something like $1500...." [in the black, because the card balance was paid down -- with good old American CASH -- from about Tuesday onwards every time after Monday my husband made a shopping run to the Sam's Club down in Slidell; but they still won't raise the limit because it's not a "business" account.... :glare:]

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Okay, yet *another* reason to someday make the trip to Asheville. (Previously on the list: touring Biltmore and going shopping at Earth Guild, which is a fiber store).

Need to win the lottery, so I can afford to pay income taxes, pay for the new roof, pay off both vehicles (plus get the bumper and undercarriage fixed on one of them), etc. etc.

Oh, yeah, and I'm still waiting on invoices for the KWZI inks group buy (round 3). And I'm about to have a couple of whopping credit card bills from when we were out of town in March, thanks to issues with cards being declined a couple of times:

"Oh it might be a fraudulent purchase because it was used in Mississippi...." "Uh, no. And neither are these charges for the past THREE DAYS. They're all legit. Really."

"Oh, these might be fraudulent charges because your card was used in Mississippi...." "uh, no. And neither are these OTHER charges and didn't we all go through this with you people Sunday afternoon?" "Oh, but having credit is a PRIVILEGE!" "Really? So is cutting up this card -- which I've had since 1984 -- and for which I NEVER had a pin number, so when the *EFF* did you decide I had one -- and using a different card with my Paypal account!" [This, BTW, for a DIFFERENT card....] :angry:

"Oh, you've exceeded your credit limit on your Sam's Card. Which we cut by a THIRD without telling you, when we switched over from Discover to MasterCard.... And no, we *won't* raise your limit even though you're a business member, and even though you're currently in the black to the tune of something like $1500...." [in the black, because the card balance was paid down -- with good old American CASH -- from about Tuesday onwards every time after Monday my husband made a shopping run to the Sam's Club down in Slidell; but they still won't raise the limit because it's not a "business" account.... :glare:]

I do so enjoy you! Bet I get to Asheville before you! And I don't have a credit card to my name or in my name. :lticaptd:

Sounds to me you NEED a tip to Asheville just to recover from all this credit card" foolishness!" I have also experienced their "protective"

concern when I used a card to purchase gas in my HOMETOWN, several purchases in a city 90 miles away & stopped back @ the same station to replenish the fuel later that evening after returning home. They were just afraid I had become the victim of fraud as my card was used 2 times in the same day @ the same station & purchases "out of town." I said I thought I was "within my rights" to LEAVE town as I was not under any probationary travel ban & if I indeed traveled 200 miles it shouldn't be a surprise to use fuel to do so. They can be certainly convenient BUT sometimes annoying. So wait till your new Pelikan arrives, ink it up & give them a trail of charges throughout the Carolina's that will give them something to worry about. I believe a nice trip would do you some good!

You will both enjoy the Biltmore Excursions. I have gone twice to see the Biltmore Estate and went a little of the Appalachian Trail during an Autumn one year. Absolutely lovely. Imagine the family still lives somewhere on the property. There is a documentary I have seen on the building of the Biltmore Estates. Also, don't forget to at least see part of the Appalachian Trail. It is to some in the South to what the Autumn leaves watch is to places up North. Breathtakingly Beautiful.

If you go, it may be worthwhile looking at a post I wrote last year. I think the hoard is still mostly there.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/271376-potential-hoard-in-western-north-carolina/

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

If you go, it may be worthwhile looking at a post I wrote last year. I think the hoard is still mostly there.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/271376-potential-hoard-in-western-north-carolina/

:thumbup: That's all I am going to respond. Road Trip! :lticaptd:

If you do get up there and the Waynesville Hoard actually exists, please take a picture or three and post them here. ;) I've been hoping to get up there to check it out but just haven't had the opportunity.

MrThoth

• 2 weeks later...

I visited Asheville last month and stayed at the 1889 White Gate Inn, within walking distance of the downtown. I highly recommend it. They serve a superb sit-down breakfast.

http://www.whitegate.net

Thanks, just returned from getting my vehicle road ready and your suggestion is right on time. Asheville is on my short list. Thank You so very much!

P.S.

Just checked out their site courtesy of you. How did you know I am a writer, formally a poet exclusively. They have nearly ALL of my most favorite writers. Too cool! Thanks again. :thumbup:

It's near Origami Ink, it has a literary theme, and it has corgis? I have got to visit this place....

MrThoth

It's near Origami Ink, it has a literary theme, and it has corgis? I have got to visit this place....

:lticaptd: I know a literary theme and I can stay in the Emily Dickinson or Maya Angelou....

Just received my brochure for the upcoming Triangle Pen Show. Planning on attending. Figuring out now whether one night or two. Looks like it is going to be fun. They will have pen repair and nib services; all my nibs are perfect, or I would take one or more there for nib services.