Retail Therapy - Help Me Choose My Next Pen (Yeah, I Know It's A Cliché Etc.)

Tom Traubert

Which pen?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which pen?

• Parker Sonnet Dark Grey with 18k nib
    • Waterman Carene - any chrome trim model
    • Lamy 2000
    • Lamy Studio 68
    • Cross Townsend (18k nib)
    • Sailor Sapporo (music nib)
    • Pilot Custom Heritage 92 (soft-medium nib)
    • Other (please specify)

Hi all.

It's been a tough few months - at the beginning of December, my marriage broke down and I had to move out. Luckily, I remain on good terms with my ex-wife and have joint custody of the kids, which is the most important thing to me. Less luckily, I got full custody of the debt, which was (and is...) all in my name.

However, things are looking up. I've been working hard and saving what I can to pay stuff off (cleared about £4000 so far) and have decided that I deserve a reward. I've not bought an expensive pen for some time now. I think the last was my Platinum #3776 Century, and that was over sixth months ago, so I'm going to treat myself! I have about £150 to spend.

So here are my options:

Parker Sonnet Dark Grey with 18k nib

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61E6Dl14O9L._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah, I know, the quality control, blah blah blah, but I'm happy to exchange nibs until I get the right one and I love Parker pens. I can't stretch to a new Duofold (a Big Red Centennial would be the dream) and I have plenty of vintage Parkers. I love the finish and nib on this.

Waterman Carene - any chrome trim model

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61wYJW7-%2BqL._SL1500_.jpg

I don't own any Watermen, so this is intriguing to me. I love that inlaid nib.

Lamy 2000

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/614pTkWnDjL._SL1500_.jpg

I don't think this needs any introduction. Surprisingly, this is one of my least favourite Lamy designs but I just feel like I should own one!

Lamy Studio 68 (gold nib version)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51W0a8BpNOL._SL1000_.jpg

There's definitely a dark grey theme going on here... I think I prefer this to the 2000.

Cross Townsend (any 18k nib version)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21YicqSb9%2BL.jpg

I like Cross pens. I've got an Apogee and have heard nothing but good things about the Townsend.

Sailor Sapporo

http://thewritingdesk.co.uk/sailor/sapporo_st_1022.jpg

I do like Japanese pens. I can get this with a music nib, so that's cool.

Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with soft-medium nib

http://d15bv9e9f3al6i.cloudfront.net/imgs/products/cp/950_constW/PL40743-ZZZ~Pilot-Custom-Heritage-91-Fountain-Pen-Black_P1.jpg

Interesting nib options here. Pilot never get it wrong, I don't think.

So yeah, cast your vote! I'm most interested in reasons though, so please state why you think I should get one of these and not the others. If you reckon I should get something else (up to around £150), please explain - I'm open to suggestions. Ta in advance.

Edited by Tom Traubert

Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Traubert

• Betweenthelines

• Frank C

• Dronak

Top Posters In This Topic

WH Smiths is selling a high gloss version of the Carene for £75 on their online store (shops have a different system).

Don't know any of these pens. I think you might like to consider a Visconti though. I have the Rembrandt (£100) which comes in a lovely colour and glides over the page. You may get the Van Gough - which is the next posh one up for £150. Of course the Visconti are rather brighter colourwise, but are nice writers.

Sorry, maybe I'm making life more complicated for you.

I hadn't considered a Visconti although I definitely will now. Thanks!

Hi, if it were my story, with my personality (which it's not) I would look for an interesting nib that would give me joy, and from a financial perspective, be usable every day in many situations.

I nearly voted for the music nib, but then went for the soft [Edit: medium (not fine!)] on that basis.

Nothing to do with makes or models or looks, just nibs :) but both of those pens I would love to have in my collection above the others mentioned.

Edited by Intellidepth

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I'm not that familiar with all these pens, so I didn't vote, but I thought I'd offer a few comments. I bought a low-end Parker Sonnet recently, the stainless steel with gold trim and steel nib, and like it. If you can get one of the more expensive ones, such as one with a gold nib, that might be a good choice. I'd probably go for a different Waterman than the Carene, if I were to get one, primarily because I don't favor that tapered nib look -- I prefer the more traditional design that the other pens on your list (maybe besides Lamy, it's a bit hard to tell) have, more straight up the sides, then angling in to the point. In my experience, Cross pens tend to be rather slim. I have one of their ballpoints and was thinking about getting a matching fountain pen, but it's so slim that I'm not sure I'd use it. If you don't mind the slimness, or can find a thicker bodied pen, Cross may be good; I think their pens are good overall. I don't really know about Lamy or Sailor generally, or the particular Pilot pen you listed, so I can't really comment on them. I probably don't have enough experience to make good suggestions for other options, but I have a Namiki Vanishing Point that I like, partly because of how unusual a retractable nib fountain pen is, and the newer Pilot version is probably in your price range. If you don't have one and think you might like something a bit more unusual, this might be a suitable choice. I hope this is of some help. Good luck making your decision!

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a couple of Sonnet Flighters. They are great pens and the stainless steel nibs work well. Actually, you can't go wrong with any of your choices.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

You mean Custom 91 - as that pen is a 91 and the 92 doesn't come in soft nibs.. I'm assuming that was a type-o.

I'm voting for the Lamy 2K - because, indeed, everyone should own one.

You mean Custom 91 - as that pen is a 91 and the 92 doesn't come in soft nibs.. I'm assuming that was a type-o.

I'm voting for the Lamy 2K - because, indeed, everyone should own one.

You're right - the 92 is the piston filler, isn't it?

You're right - the 92 is the piston filler, isn't it?

Yep. And also an excellent pen to consider.

It was one of my least favorite designs too. Till I owned one. It has its detractors but I think it is a great pen. Feels good in the hand , sturdy, easy to clean, maintain and service, holds a good amount of ink. Just a practical, well designed reliable workhorse pen.

I see that you had the Pilot CH 91 on there but the CH 92 is the pen I would probably choose, or the 2k. Though a Waterman, if you can find a factory stub ...

Lamy 2000

I don't think this needs any introduction. Surprisingly, this is one of my least favourite Lamy designs but I just feel like I should own one!

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version