Pelikan M1000 Barrel Defect?

cameron331

Hi everyone,

I just got my first Pelikan m1000, and I absolutely love it. However, I've noticed something weird on the barrel. The spaces between the green stripes are transparent on about half of the barrel, and I can see the ink inside. It's hard to describe, but on the other half of the barrel, it almost seems like there's some sort of opaque film with small horizontal lines on the inside of the barrel, that makes it not transparent. This filmy stuff doesn't cover the entire inside, only the bottom 3/4 or so as shown in the photo. Is this normal?

http://s7.postimg.org/4eotfpd6z/IMG_4976.jpg

Edited by cameron331

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cameron331

• sargetalon

• Matlock

• hari317

Matlock and printhardcopy answered your question. I don't have anything to add other than congratulations on the M1000! Hope you enjoy it.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Oh no ... this pen is completely ruined ... I do accept that you send it to me, just to help you get rid of it ... B)

I'm not talking about the piston or the ink chamber, I'm talking about something on the inside wall of the barrel covering the spaces between the green stripes.

I believe that you're seeing through the translucency to the brass piston mechanism. At least that is what the picture seems to depict. Nothing appears out of place.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

Thanks for your help everyone. I guess it doesn't really show up in that picture very well; I'll try again:

http://s23.postimg.org/53ghuppsb/IMG_4985.jpg

http://s24.postimg.org/70pcfo8x1/IMG_4988.jpg

The diagonal line across the barrel is not the ink level, its the beginning of the filmy stuff with tiny vertical lines between the ink chamber/piston and the barrel. I'm trying to figure out what it is and what I should do about it.

I kind of see it now with the newer photos. One possibility is that there is an some sort of air gap or interface between the outer cellulose acetate binde and the inner acrylic barrel.

Ok thanks. I'm thinking about taking it apart and sticking a a tip up there to check it out, but I'm a little afraid; I've never taken apart any of my Pelikans before.

Ok thanks. I'm thinking about taking it apart and sticking a a tip up there to check it out, but I'm a little afraid; I've never taken apart any of my Pelikans before.

Don't.

Peter

you can't take it apart without permanent damage. the green striped tube is called the binde which is glued to the inner core.

your pen is clearly defective, better ask for a replacement.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

you can't take it apart without permanent damage. the green striped tube is called the binde which is glued to the inner core.

your pen is clearly defective, better ask for a replacement.

Agreed but is the pen defective? Does it write correctly? Is it ink tight? If so use it and enjoy it, if not get it seen to or replaced.

Peter

Agreed but is the pen defective? Does it write correctly? Is it ink tight? If so use it and enjoy it, if not get it seen to or replaced.

Certainly defective, at least cosmetically. and at the M1000's price point, unacceptable. Pls look:

fpn_1428821904__img_4985.jpg

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Things do appear a bit clearer on the new photos, thanks for posting those. With these, it does look out of place. Those striations shouldn't be there. If you bought it new, I'd look into a replacement from the dealer as this does not appear normal.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your help. It was difficult to explain it and get a photo of it without seeing it in person. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't normal before paying to ship it, insure it, etc. I'll be sending it back.

Edited by cameron331

I'll update this thread as I go through the warranty process, in case someone else has this issue in the future.

Chartpak told me they have seen this before. They call it 'shading' and that the pattern of the lines can vary. They are forwarding my photos to Pelikan in Germany so they can help me directly.

Glad that you were able to get it straightened out. Chartpak does good work.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dig out this old post.

I recently received my m1000 with similar issue, may i ask hows your replacement barrel looks? Crystal clear?

Chartpak is replacing the barrel, thanks for your help everyone!

Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog 2016 Limited Edition 888 - M -> EF -> B

Armando Simoni Club Bologna Extra Arco Brown - MagicFlex

Montblanc Meisterstuck 149 - F, BB, OBB