The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Diamine Registrar's Ink Blue/black—A Handwritten Review

diamine registrars ink iron gall blue black diamine iron gall document ink registrars ink iron gall review

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2015 - 21:31

Here's a great example of one of the few fountain pen friendly iron gall inks left on the market (RIP Montblanc Midnight Blue… :crybaby: ). It and R&K Salix are about even on like-o-meter, but I find myself preferring Registrar's Ink due to its darker final color. 

DZc31c.jpg

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:02

Thanks for the review.

Funny, I actually like Salix because it *doesn't* go dark, but stays bluer.  Other than the amazing shading DRBB gives, I didn't really care for it.  People kept talking about what a great ink it is, but I see that in your review it ends up as the same washy blue-grey color that I got.

For an IG blue-black ink that really goes dark (not washy) I prefer Ackerman #10, followed by FPN member Pharmacist's Urkundentinte.  (I can't compare ESSRI, since I have not ever tried that).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 tinkerteacher

tinkerteacher

Factotum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:28

Diamine, why oh why did you discontinue the cartridges of Registrar's Ink?

Iron gall ink in an international short cartridge. That was awesome.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

#4 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2015 - 23:33

But let's not forget ESSRI, people! Another great British product...

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#5 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:33

Here are all the iron gall inks I have:

9goT6j.jpg

And here's the same pic with the saturation bumped up to show the undertones that are different between the inks:

o1Gg2U.jpg

#6 ParkerQuink

ParkerQuink

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 September 2017 - 15:50

Diamine, why oh why did you discontinue the cartridges of Registrar's Ink?

Iron gall ink in an international short cartridge. That was awesome.

Woah! They had this stuff in cartridges? Sad I missed the boat on that one!!

Great review of a fantastic, fantastic ink. I was skeptical when learning about iron galls after all of the hype of potential pen damage. But a couple of years and 5 bottles later, I have yet to have a Bexley (Jowo) steel nib show any sign of corrosion- and I have been a neglectful pen owner on a few of them, but still no problems. This stuff does seem to was out of the pen upon flushing, but if I disassemble the nib from the feed, I will find it still loaded with particulates from the ink, so I usually clean that out, and it is good to go for a while. This damn ink just seems to write so well on any paper that I am passed and need to write on. So, so pleased that this ink still exists! When admiring documents written long ago, and it so wonderful to have an ink that closely resembles what they were written with. Truly a step back in time!

#7 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,984 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2017 - 23:03

@ mhphoto -- Your sample of Aristotle is really green. :huh:  

Mine?  It was sort of pale grey.  And didn't even get the shading that Registrar's Blue Black gave me.... 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#8 mhphoto

mhphoto

Antique

• Premium - Ruby

• 1,932 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:25

@ mhphoto -- Your sample of Aristotle is really green. :huh:  

Mine?  It was sort of pale grey.  And didn't even get the shading that Registrar's Blue Black gave me.... 

I've NEVER had good luck with Organic Studios. All the colors and concepts behind them are nice and interesting (and Mendel and Twain are two of my favorite inks), but half of the ones I've gotten have developed bad SITB. I wouldn't be surprised if my batch of Aristotle was off.  :glare: 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diamine registrars ink, iron gall, blue black, diamine iron gall, document ink, registrars ink, iron gall review

Sponsored Content

|