Another Vote for Mothers Mag Polish

penguinmaster

Just wanted to put in a vote of praise for Mothers Mag Polish. This stuff is freaking amazing. My routine with my new esties has now been, to break them down as much as needed (dependent on new sac, j-bar, etc...) and give them a good run over with a terry cloth and flitz. Then follow up with a nice long polishing the with mag polish and terry cloth followed by a nice long polishing with a polishing cloth. I could do my hair in them after that there so shiny.

I just got a red transitional in and it kind of makes me start saying "my precious" over and over again, so beautiful!

My Site: Pens and Ink

Philip Hull Memories Scan

Looking for: ...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penguinmaster

• maynes32

• Brian Anderson

• Rabbit

QUOTE (penguinmaster @ Apr 2 2007, 04:07 PM)
I just got a red transitional in and it kind of makes me start saying "my precious" over and over again, so beautiful!

Yeeessss.....................

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Very nice!

I need to get some various polishing compounds. Where did you purchase that various ones you have been using?

Flitz

Brian finds it at music stores also.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

Music Stores can be great sources for all things pen repair related. I use old violin e strings to clean out feeds, polish cloths for, well, polishing, woodwind mouthpiece brushes for cleaning inside of caps, and flitz for the polish. If I looked hard enough I could probably find some other items too, perhaps some tools from the repair shop, but then most people wouldn't really have access to those sorts of items.

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

I guess I could make a trip to the music store down the road... but that could be a dangerous trip because the fountain pen store is in the same shopping center about 3 doors down from the music store! It's a trap!

--Stephen

Yeah, I use Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish also. I think it contains cerium oxide. I use it to polish pen barrels and also as a final finish on nibs ohmy.gif

It also works great for clearing up yellowed plastic headlights on your car. I have done a number of these, including one pair that was 16 years old and so yellowed and crusty that you could not drive at night. It took about five polishing passes and about 30 minutes of effort but they are water clear like new again. Sure beats paying $350 for new plastic headlight housings. ($550 on a Mercedes)

eureka.gif

This thread makes me snick. biggrin.gif I am a noob around here but have a fairly eclectic collector interest. I first heard of Flitz years ago while going through a watch fob phase. A collector said he used it to clean up his enamel fobs. Since then I have heard of collectors using Flitz and Mother's Mag Polish on the gun forums, pocket knife collectors, tool collectors, padlocks, and now fountain pens. They really are great multi-use products.

And nice tip on the headlights too Cappy.

Edited by kkhardwarestore

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to put in a vote of praise for Mothers Mag Polish... My routine with my new esties has now been, to... give them a good run over with a terry cloth and flitz. Then follow up with a nice long polishing the with mag polish and terry cloth followed by a nice long polishing with a polishing cloth.

What kind of polishing cloth do you use?

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Music Stores can be great sources for all things pen repair related. I use old violin e strings to clean out feeds, polish cloths for, well, polishing, woodwind mouthpiece brushes for cleaning inside of caps, and flitz for the polish. If I looked hard enough I could probably find some other items too, perhaps some tools from the repair shop, but then most people wouldn't really have access to those sorts of items.

Brian

Have you come up with a fountain pen related use for a cello soundpost setter yet? :unsure:

I've thought of using old E strings to attempt flossing a nib. I wouldn't use the part the bow touches as there is going to be rosin on that part. However, I do have a pen that needs, I think, a bit of a flossing to improve flow, and well... Good thinking aside, I shelved the thought and actually forgot to ask the question. Is the E string, which is the thinnest string of the violin family, good to use to floss a nib?

And what it Mothers Mag? I've never seen or heard of it before. Or if I did, I don't recall. Perhaps I'm going through a "brain functioning as well asa witnesses before Congress" phase? :rolleyes: :lol:

Elizabeth

Spring and love arrived on a bird's sweet song. "How does that little box sound like birds and laughter?" I asked the gypsy violinist. He leaned back, pointing to his violin. "Look inside, you'll see the birdies sing to me" soft laughter in his voice. "I hear them, I can almost see them!", I shouted as his bow danced on the strings. "Ah yes" he said, "your heart is a violin." Shony Alex Braun

As it began for Shony, it began for me. My heart -- My violin

Have you come up with a fountain pen related use for a cello soundpost setter yet? :unsure:

I've thought of using old E strings to attempt flossing a nib. I wouldn't use the part the bow touches as there is going to be rosin on that part. However, I do have a pen that needs, I think, a bit of a flossing to improve flow, and well... Good thinking aside, I shelved the thought and actually forgot to ask the question. Is the E string, which is the thinnest string of the violin family, good to use to floss a nib?

Soundpost setter, ummmm..., no, no yet. Just give me time. :D

I should mention by old e string I mean an unused e string. If you're thinking of putting that e string in between the tines of a nib, I don't know how well that would work. Probably still too thick to fit in there.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

• 3 years later...

Add another for Mother's Mag Polish. Had two redeeming features for me: cheaper than Simichrome, and actually available around here. Cleaned up a dulled pen up to a state that I'm happy with by itself.

Perhaps our resident Chemists would like to comment on the Mother's Mag polish materials data sheet.

http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/instr-shop/MSDS/Mother%27s%20Mag%20and%20Aluminum%20Polish.pdf

Bruce in Ocala, FL

B.S. and M.S. in chemistry, with a J.D. obtained later. Bad combination. :)

Hazardous ingredients are kerosene, which is ... well ... the stuff used to fuel kerosene heaters, and sodium hydroxide, which is a classic base, and is in some heavier duty cleaners.

What I'd say, I guess, is that you've got to sort of consider the source. You don't exactly want to drink most cleaners you buy. As long as you use it responsibly, in accordance with the directions, it's probably as safe as bleach, lysol, ammonia, etc. In other words, not very safe, but stuff that we accept the risks of everyday.

Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish ...Warning ! ! !

Do'nt go out and buy a container of "MEGUIARS" by accident & then lose the receipt ! :headsmack:

Paddle Faster...I Hear Banjos'

Hello,

I have been looking for a simple way to polish pens that have no major surface problems. I have just purchased Mothers Mag and Flitz. I followed the instructions in the thread and did get great results. The junker pens that I experimented on are definitely shinier.

I have two questions.

1. Will the chemical smell dissipate off the pens themselves soon? It is a distinct smell, but not overpowering. I would not want to use it on a keeper pen if the smell will not go away.

2. I have not read of any effects on the pen's surface itself. Does anyone have any experience with using these two products on Esties? Has anyone seen any lasting damage? From reading the threads, several people have been using these products for several years.

Thanks for your time.

Bill

At least with the Mother's Mag, I've wiped off THOROUGHLY after each application and have virtually no residual smell. Any smell there is has dissipated by the next morning after a night-time application.

BLM

Thanks Maynes 32,

I appreciate the quick update on the Mothers Mag. I will let the pens sit for a couple of days to see if the last of the odor goes away. It has been over 12 hours since I applied the Flitz and Mothers Mag, and the pens do have less odor.

I have noticed other threads mentioning Novus 1 as a cleaner and polisher. Have you had any experience with using it on the pens? If so, are there any odors?

Thanks,

Bill