Good Evening!

JLZenor

Hello, my name is Jon. I'm brand new to fountain pens. I just got my first one two weeks ago and now I'm in the search of ink. :)

I have always been a lover of pens that write nicely. Currently I use a G2 ultra fine 0.38mm pen for my daily writing. Then while at a convention an author showed me his fountain pen and curiosity and the love of trying out new writing instruments took over.

I purchased the Pilot Metropolitan with Medium nib, and plan on buying the fine nib version next payday, along with a bottle of ink.

Uhm, beyond the pen obsession I'm also working on becoming an author. I have one short story out right now and several other works in progress.

I also run a Star Trek fan club in Colorado Springs and am a Linux Sys Admin.

That's about it. Nice to meet you guys. I look forward to finding some great information on here.

- Jon Zenor

Christian, Author, Starship Captain, and all around fun guy.

Follow me on Twitter: @JLZenor

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JLZenor

• fountainpenlady

• Starguard

• Sailor Kenshin

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! Glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hi! Welcome to FPN. :W2FPN:

I'm really glad you've joined us.

Enjoy!

Best wishes from Japan,

VirtuThe3rd

Hello Jon. Greetings from northern California and a warm welcome to FPN. Glad you've joined up with us; it's great to have you here.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Welcome, Jon !

What color ink ? Any particular properties in addition ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Welcome, Jon !

What color ink ? Any particular properties in addition ?

Thank you!

I just purchased the Iroshizuku Kon-Peki after seeing the reviews on the forum. I also want to get a black ink for my daily writing and will probably get some samples to try out later. I'm curious to see how different the fine tip is compared to my medium.

I'm also determined to work on my handwriting a lot more after seeing some of the handwriting in the reviews. This should be fun. :D

What other properties do you mean? For the ink? I don't know... lol

Edited by JLZenor

- Jon Zenor

My goodness have you come to the right place. You are going to have much fun here with many of us. You are on the right track with getting sample inks. Also, up top to the right underneath your name, there is a search box. Use that search box and type in black ink review or something and you will find there have probably been reviews on different brands of black inks, which you can also use in your quest. Inks can be dry, or wet, or in-between. You may find it helpful to figure out or read what others have experienced who routinely use inks, review and share with others. Another suggestion is if you like the Iroshizuku inks, believe one of the new colors includes black. they are in my personal opinion considered wet inks if it helps much. Yet, someone else might disagree according to their experience.They also come in smaller version of 15ml sizes also, if you find the black ink of Iroshizuku suits you. :W2FPN:

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Hi Jon,

Goulet Pen Company (gouletpens.com) sells small sample vials of ink for about $2.00 apiece, a good way to try lots of inks without spending lots of money.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check that out for the black ink. I should have tried it for the blue as well, but oh well. Just excited to get my ink bottle in. :)

- Jon Zenor

I got my new pen in today. The Pilot Metropolitan Fine Nib. I love it! It just may replace my G2 0.38 Ultra Fine pen as my favorite. :D

Sadly, my ink didn't survive shipment, so I have to wait for the replacement bottle to be shipped. :'(

post-121912-0-52861800-1428806084_thumb.jpg

- Jon Zenor

One of my coworkers just ordered a fountain pen after trying out mine. I'm slowly converting people. :D

Also, my new bottle of ink arrived... I'm leaving work early to go get it. I hope all is well!

- Jon Zenor

The suspense is killing me! Did the 2nd bottle survive?

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

The suspense is killing me! Did the 2nd bottle survive?

It did! And it's beautiful.

post-121912-0-26256500-1429219565_thumb.jpg

I figured out how to fill the converter and got it working in my Medium nib pen. I like it.

- Jon Zenor

Oh yes very nice! I'm still dithering about what ink to buy, the only ink I have right now is a bottle of Levenger Gemstone Green and a bottle of Mont Blanc I bought some time before 1989.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check that out for the black ink. I should have tried it for the blue as well, but oh well. Just excited to get my ink bottle in. :)

Welcome, also Andersonpens.com sells 3ml sample ink vials, isellpens.com

I am a sample ink Diva; try several different places for a variety of ink brands/colors. I enjoy doing so and filling virtual baskets with inks I intend to purchase. Next, once you really get started with Sample Ink use really good, you will have to visit the threads/forums which contain ideas on keeping/storing them. I have begun a Pay It Forward (PIF) of ink samples to others in order to thin my supply of Sample Ink tubes/vials. Enjoy this journey! :W2FPN:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I'm debating the Ink Drop subscription thing. It seems interesting, and is cheap, but could I really go through that much ink in a month?

A guy at work that I have gotten to buy a fountain pen said he might split it with me.

- Jon Zenor