Noodler's Baystate Cape Cod Cranberry

musicman123

I received a sample of Noodler's Baystate Cape Cod Cranberry from a fellow FPNer (ScienceChick) to be exact as well as a couple other colors from her and a lovely pen. She told me that the Baystate had a horrible reputation and other readings confirmed it. Well, me being the crazy person I am, I decided to put it into the pen she sent me after modifying the nib.

This review will follow my normal standard format for reviews, with pictures following a small blurb. The pictures were taken with an iPhone 6, back camera, in artificial lighting. Effort has been made to show the true color, but your milage may vary depending on your monitor. If you would like to see all my ink images, you are free to go to http://inkyreviews.tk/

Here is a preview of the ink. It is a pink ink, that does not look like a real cranberry to me. They tried.

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Ink.jpg

I put this ink into a Jinhao 599 pen with an M nib that Science Chick sent with this ink. The nib was initially quite dry and scratchy, so I took out my loupe and buffing block (I know, I know), and began vigorously smoothing it. The nib is now super smooth and a size bigger which I like.

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Nib.jpg

The review was written on HP 32lb Premium Laser Paper, which can be found at Staples for the whooping price of $19.99, or on Amazon for $15.39. This is my new "standard" paper I will be using for all my reviews, writing, and comparisons. I still have a bit of HP 28lb, which is now discontinued, but I am going to be moving to this one now, as it is much better, IMO.

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Paper.jpg

Here is the swab of the ink. It was pulled from my latest project, a crowd-sourced ink swab database found here [hhttp://inkymadness.tk/ ]. This is my own swab that I am using here, but many other people's swabs of lots of inks can be found there! You are free to contribute your swabs as well by emailing them to me at admin@inkymadness.tk.

http://inkymadness.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry.jpg

This ink has quite a bad reputation as having bad behavior and staining almost everything it touches. I find that this ink is very paper/pen dependent. On my HP 32lb Premium Laser I used on this review (and almost everything else), the ink behaves alright, with only minor feathering on the super wet spots. However, on cheaper paper, like notebook paper, it does feather a lot. I tried with ink on a sheet of Rhodia too, and it performed quite well actually. No bleed or feathering on the wettest spots. The ink is extremely wet from this pen, possibly due to my modification. It provides a high amount of lubrication for the nib. There is virtually no shading in this pen, and from the swab either. Like I mentioned, there was only a minor amount of feathering. The ink is highly saturated. There is no show through or bleed through on this paper.

Everyone should be warned that this ink stains almost everything. I knew this beforehand and had the foresight to put the ink in an empty cartridge as opposed to a brand new converter. Initially, the cartridge looked alright, but after 3 days, the cartridge turned quite pink. This will be a cartridge specifically dedicated to Baystate inks from now on. Also, during my rinsing of the pen, a bit of ink got onto my counter top which is a white material, and my sink which is a white ceramic. Both immediately stained, and could not be cleaned with water. A quick spray of 409 Cleaner helped me to remove all the stains. I did not experience any clogs after switching inks.

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Characteristics.jpg

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Characteristics%202.jpg

The ink takes the same amount of time as other inks at roughly 15 seconds.

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Dry%20Time.jpg

I left the comparison section blank on the review form, but I will be showing swabs of similar inks here. This is a my new format that I am trying out for the comparisons. Tell me what you think. The swabs used here are from my latest project, a crowd-sourced ink swab database found here [http://inkymadness.tk/]. This is my own swab that I am using here, but many other people's swabs of lots of inks can be found there! You are free to contribute your swabs as well by emailing them to me at admin@inkymadness.tk.

Left to right. The images were stretched to fit in one row. Color was not altered.

1. Noodler's Baystate Cape Cod Cranberry (This ink)

2. Diamine Hope Pink

3. Sailor Kingdom Note Japanese Crested Ibis

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Comparison.jpg

Here is a water test. The top grid had drops of water placed for 10 seconds, then vigorously wiped downwards. The bottom text did not receive any drops of water and was only wiped with in the same motion as the grid. The ink performed well on this test. There was only a little bit of lifting of the ink in the grid, and a tiny bit of wet smear of the text. The ink is not bulletproof but does well and can be used for documents.

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Water%20After.jpg

Lastly, here is a scan of the review. Use the scan to read the rest of the review. I did not intend for it to show color accuracy. The pictures are the most accurate representation of the color.

http://www.inkyreviews.tk/Noodlers/Baystate%20Cape%20Cod%20Cranberry/Scan.jpg

That's all folks! I would give this ink a 7.5/10, with points deducted for staining and feathering. If you liked this review, stay tuned for more to come!

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• musicman123

• torstar

• Cyber6

• visvamitra

Top Posters In This Topic

No???... I was sending a bottle your way..... :lol:

You can always divert the shipment to me instead :)

You could toss in the Grape and Blue and make it a 3-pack Rainbow Wild Ride of Adventure...

Great review, thanks for the honesty and insight.

You could toss in the Grape and Blue and make it a 3-pack Rainbow Wild Ride of Adventure...

Great review, thanks for the honesty and insight.

I got the blue but haven't tried it yet! I hope it is as nice as this one.

If you have blue, then you can mix with Cranberry and you get Grape. :lol:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

C.

Maybe some day I'll be brave enough to intentionally mix the blue with another ink....

the blue, the blue... what can we say....

the most likely ink to cause cost/benefit analysis when you use it...

Maybe some day I'll be brave enough to intentionally mix the blue with another ink....

No need to be brave. Nathan has said the Baystate line is safe to mix with each other... BUT NO OTHER.. :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

C.

No need to be brave. Nathan has said the Baystate line is safe to mix with each other... BUT NO OTHER.. :D

C.

That's good to know! If I ever need a destructive purple, I know what to do!

C.

I have all three, not sure I could get them all together in the same room though.

Are the cranberry and grape as challenging as the blue?

Edited by torstar

C.

Well, I've tried it and never been able to get the proportions correct. These do mix with each other and they are so much fun. I use CCC as my signature ink because it is so obnoxious.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I have all three, not sure I could get them all together in the same room though.

Are the cranberry and grape as challenging as the blue?

I heard grape behaves the best, followed by cranberry, then blue. I haven't tried Blue yet, so I can't comment personally..

I heard grape behaves the best, followed by cranberry, then blue. I haven't tried Blue yet, so I can't comment personally..

The Blue is an amazing colour, nothing close to it.

So I use it and then the costs outweight the benefits and it sits there in the bottle for 3 months and then the lust to employ the colour outweighs my memory of the costs... wheel turning round and round...

I'll give the grape another try soon...

The Blue is an amazing colour, nothing close to it.

So I use it and then the costs outweight the benefits and it sits there in the bottle for 3 months and then the lust to employ the colour outweighs my memory of the costs... wheel turning round and round...

I'll give the grape another try soon...

I guess I got to play with my sample then. I'll do another review once I try it!

Very nice review! I think this is pretty adorable, personally. I also love BSB, especially on Tomoe River, where it behaves perfectly.