Delta Vintage

Ian the Jock

I've been having a look at the red Delta vintage with the broad steel nib. As Mrs The Jock is offering to buy me a pen for my b/day.

So

What gives?

Is it any good?

Pros/cons etc.

What does it weigh? You know the type of thing.

The fusion nibbed version would be out of reach, so anybody got any views on this fine looking pen?

Ian

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian the Jock

• bbs

• Ste_S

• Ted F

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own a Vintage, but own three other steel nibbed Delta pens 2x Journal (M, B ), 1x Unica (M).

In my experience Delta steel nibs are smooth and wet, and I'd imagine the Vintage would be the same. On the negative side for the Vintage I've heard the barrel is too short to take a converter so you'll be syringe filling cartridges if you want to use bottled ink.

Edited by Ste_S

I have 4 Delta Vintage pens of different colors; 2 Broad and 2 Medium. I prefer the Broad nib. They're very nice pens to write with but they only take the short ink cartridges or a mini converter.

So they can take a convertor then?

I think that the cartridge/syringe affair would have sent me towards something else, however even a mini convertor would be acceptable.

I have another pen that was supposedly cartridge only, but snipping 4mm off a waterman convertor made it fit.

Do Delta do a mini convertor or would I need to look elsewhere?

Or

Would I be better just going for the Journal instead?

Cheers

Ian

Hi, I've got two Vintages and a Journal, all really nice pens. Haven't tried a converter in the Vintages. They are of course a lot smaller than the Journal, but usably so, and one of them has a great nib. Just luck of the draw there though, I think. What size pen do you normally like? If you tend towards a larger model, I'd say go for the Journal. If not, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Vintage.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Thanks bbs, I do prefer a larger pen ( and heavy-ish) but it was the colour of the ruby vintage that caught my eye, I like red and red/black pens, although not exclusively, and this one really jumped at me.

I do have pens of varying sizes and I wouldn't dismiss a pen purely on size.

If I find it pleasing aesthetically, then it's worthy of consideration.

The journal red though, is mixed with green, which I don't really care for as it's not really a blend that works well for me.

I'll need to have another look at the rest of the journal range.

Ian

Just got the two pens out to compare them, and the Vintage can't be called a large pen, although it's not that light. That red does look beautiful though, and such a deal at the moment.

The Journal is also available in a nice brown swirl version. However, the red and green is not just a straight mix of those colours - in the artificial light I'm looking at it now the green is more of a pearly silver, it's a very handsome pen. But you have to follow your instinct as to which pen you like best - or want to like best. Good luck with your choice!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

The Red & Green J

Just got the two pens out to compare them, and the Vintage can't be called a large pen, although it's not that light. That red does look beautiful though, and such a deal at the moment.

The Journal is also available in a nice brown swirl version. However, the red and green is not just a straight mix of those colours - in the artificial light I'm looking at it now the green is more of a pearly silver, it's a very handsome pen. But you have to follow your instinct as to which pen you like best - or want to like best. Good luck with your choice!

I have the Red & Green Journal and concur. The green 'flakes' remind me of the finish on a Mabie Todd Swan I have and are beautiful when they catch the light.

The finishes on the vintage do look beautiful though too, and they're on my list of pens to get. If the converter issue doesn't bother you, get which one you like the most.

The finishes on the vintage do look beautiful though too, and they're on my list of pens to get.

You should act now! Prices on these pens from Martemodena on eBay are half what I paid a year or more ago ....

You should act now! Prices on these pens from Martemodena on eBay are half what I paid a year or more ago ....

I know...

I may *shock* have too many new (to me) pens at the moment. The Vintage is on the back burner for a future purchase and not too bothered about paying full retail for it - I think all of the Delta steel nibbed pens are fairly priced at MRSP. It of course makes them an absolute bargain when you can get them cheaper.

Thanks folks

I'm leaning towards the Journal now, as I can't get the red vintage with a broad nib....bummer.

I'm now torn between the red and the blue in the journal, as I'm not sure about the red mix as I said, and the blue has now grabbed my attention.

I think If I could have got the vintage in red with a broad nib, my mind would have been made up.

Then again

I might change my mind altogether.

Ian

All change again.

I can get the vintage, in red, with a B nib.

Which mini convertor will fit ?

Ian

I know Kaweco sell a mini squeeze converter for use in their Sport range, which I'd imagine would fit. There be may a mini piston converter too ?

I know...

I may *shock* have too many new (to me) pens at the moment. The Vintage is on the back burner for a future purchase and not too bothered about paying full retail for it - I think all of the Delta steel nibbed pens are fairly priced at MRSP. It of course makes them an absolute bargain when you can get them cheaper.

About 30mins after posting this I got a call from my brother asking if I wanted anything for my birthday... so of course I now have an Amber Vintage with a B nib winging it's way to me.

I'll probably syringe fill cartridges with mine.

Edited by Ste_S

Well

After a few days deliberating, mind changing and looking at other pens, I finally made my mind up, and

bought the red vintage with a broad nib.

I can't wait.

This is going to be my stand out pen, and I've already started telling my dog walking chums about it.

They do however, look at me as though I'm mental, which is to be expected I suppose, as after all, it's "only a pen".

Only a pen!!!, They have no idea. :lol:

Thanks folks

Ian

Great, hope you enjoy it !

Thanks Ste_s, you really helped me make up my mind.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, hope it lives up to your expectations! It is a lovely material, though, and mine are among my favourite pens.

It was shipped out today and Should be here on Tuesday.

I don't really have high expectations as I know its' looks alone will "do it for me".

I keep looking at the picture and thinking "oh yes"

Roll on Tuesday.

Ian

• 2 months later...

I think this thread continued in the First Stop forum ....

But I also bought one, and it's stunning, a really beautiful acrylic, and a nice, restrained design with enough to keep it interesting. Loved it so much I now have five in different colours and nib sizes, all gorgeous. One in particular is a delightful medium with a touch of line variation. Think I got lucky with that one!