The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ink Review: J.herbin Eclat De Saphir (Sapphire Blue)

j herbin ink eclat de saphir

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 16:50

I have decided to review some of my many inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is J Herbin Eclat de saphir (Sapphire blue):

Eclat de saphir (Sapphire blue): Sapphire is a gemstone. The terminology probably comes from 2 origins: the Greek with “sappheiros” (a stone of blue color) or from the Hebrew “sappir” (the most beautiful thing).

This color is a reminder of J. Herbin and his work at the most prestigious royal courts of Europe.

From the beginning, J. Herbin distinguished itself from its competitors by offering a wide range of colors for the fountain pen inks. In 2007, 4 new colors were introduced which brought a total of 30 references of various colors. The names chosen for each color are very poetic to preserve the originality of the brand and as a French tradition.

• This isn't a waterproof or an archival ink
  • Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, this ink took 13-16 secs to dry.
  • It flows well and lubricates the nib quite well.
  • It is currently available in sampling packs of 4 x 10ml mini glass bottles and 30ml D bottles. Each bottle of 30 ml has an integrated pen rest. They are known as “D bottle pen inks. The “D” refers to the old French unit of measure “la Demi Courtine”.
  • It's available from many B&M shops and online retailers worldwide.

J. Herbin is the oldest name in pen inks in the world. M. Herbin created “The Jewel of Inks” in his shop on the Rue des Fosses Saint-Germain in Paris in 1700.

Herbin uses all natural dyes in their fountain pen inks. This natural composition is reflected in the very neutral pH of the inks.

fpn_1428338789__j_h_eclat_de_saphir1.jpg

fpn_1428338809__j_h_eclat_de_saphir2.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 alexander_k

alexander_k

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 19:48

Thanks for the review - not a bad ink (except that my bottle grew mouldy) but I'm not enamoured with this particular hue. There are so many light / bright blues that we're spoiled for choice.

#3 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,218 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:52

Êclat de Saphir also is available in 100 ml bottles, not only more economical if you're using a lot of it, but also easier to fill from than the standard 30 ml ones. I find Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire to be brighter, but it's a lot more expensive. (Since when has that ever stopped me?  :) ) Diamine Sapphire Blue is not bad. Iroshizuku Ajisai is the closest thing they have to a sapphire, but I find it to be less vibrant and also prone to bleed-through, even on better paper.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 14:50

I also have Diamine Sapphire Blue, and I find it quite staining. Before I bought my latest bottle of Parker Penman Sapphire I used to mix it with Diamine Majestic Blue for a reasonable alternative to PPS.

#5 Nibbler

Nibbler

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 15:01

Thank you for this review - good job!

I don't have loads of inks - well 13 - but I do have this and I really like it - especially on Lechtturm paper for some reason. 

#6 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 15:05

Thanks for another post. I can vicariously sort through my ink cabinet by reading your reviews. I tend to agree with the above posts. I like this color, but there are so many other blues out there I like better; it rarely gets used. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#7 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2015 - 18:11

Eclat de Saphir was my first worth mentioning blue ink, I really liked it after Parker Quink Blue. Still like it, its wonderful with my medium Duofold nib.

#8 PDW

PDW

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,233 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 11:34

I recently bought a pack of cartridges in Paris in a very ordinary stationery shop.

From my experience, in a dry pen the colour is washed out and uninteresting, but in a wetter pen like my fine-nibbed Diplomat Balance C a very pleasing colour comes through even via its very fine nib.

Edited by PDW, 14 June 2015 - 11:34.

#9 bone215

bone215

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:00

Nice review.

I recently picked up a bottle and like its color.

I wasn't sure about what the title of the ink meant and thought it French so I used google translate which gave me "burst of sapphire".

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

#10 Frank C

Frank C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2015 - 03:55

Nice review.

I recently picked up a bottle and like its color.

I wasn't sure about what the title of the ink meant and thought it French so I used google translate which gave me "burst of sapphire".

I always thought that it was the past-tense of some French pastry. Two years of college French down the drain. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson "I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel
I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

#11 Sh.Andrews

Sh.Andrews

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 June 2015 - 00:53

Lubrication is better than Good.  I have a lot of blues and am always amazed at this one - excellent characteristics - no complaints.  Wish J. Herbin would expand their palette.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: j herbin, ink, eclat de saphir

Sponsored Content

|