Franklin-Christoph Model 20 With Masuyama Medium Italic

dms525

I have had a Franklin-Christoph Model 02 Intrinsic for about a year. I have used it with the Steel JoWo 1.1 mm "Cursive Calligraphy" nib and with the remarkable F-C Music nib. I found the Model 02 a very nice writer, and the 1.1mm italic nib pretty fair, although I confess that the same nib that I bought from Edison Pens was slightly crisper. However, the Model 02 was just long enough to stick just far enough out of my shirt breast pocket so I almost never carry it out of my house. I frequently browsed the Franklin-Christoph web site looking for a model that would get used more, but there was none that met my criteria.

Then, just a few days ago, I got an email announcing a new model being introduced - The Model 20 Marietta. When I checked it out, the size seemed just right, almost identical to a Pelikan M600 in length, and that, along with the Conway-Stewart Belliver, has been my ideal everyday carry-size pen. Now, the new model was pretty plain black plastic. There was the promise of new colors to come ... in 2 or 3 months, but I went for the IPO.

I had also been very curious about F-C's offering of both steel and 18Kt gold nibs specially ground for them by Michael Masuyama. Now, I have maybe 20 (I'm almost afraid to count) italic nibs custom ground for me by Michael. He knows what I like and I get it from him. What would a F-C Masuyama italic nib be like? I was sure it couldn't be "bad," but would it be to my liking? I was also curious about how different it might be from the stock JoWo italic nibs. So, now I know, and I am going to share my impressions with you.

I have nothing to add to previous reviews regarding construction quality, fit and finish. The Model 20 is, like other F-C pens I have seen and read about, well made. It feels high quality without any suggestion of glitz or bling. It's all about writing. The other remarkable feature is its light weight. I have just one caution: The nib on my Model 02 was very easy to unscrew from the section. I liked to be able to use it with the 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9mm italic and music nibs, as well as a round F nib. The nib on the Model 20 is in there very tight. I have an email to F-C asking about this and will report the outcome when it comes out.

The pen is basically a cylinder. There is some shaping of the section and a couple "rings" cut into the two ends. Otherwise, it is as plain as can be. The change in packaging is very much worth mentioning. Rather than coming in a gift box, suitable for gifting or adding to the collection of empty pen boxes in my closet, F-C pens now come in a very attractive and useful single pen zippered case. This is packaging that is actually useful! What a concept.

The size of the Model 20 is just what I expected. It is just enough smaller than the Model 02 to fit perfectly in my shirt pocket. It is just long enough for me to use unposted, but, like all of F-C's fountain pens, it is made to post securely and is very well-balenced when posted. Here is a series of photos comparing the Model 20

Marietta to the Model 02 Intrinsic in various configurations:

Pens Capped

Pens uncapped

Pens posted

I hope you can appreciate that the pens are most different in length when capped and least different in length when posted. I think this shows some very thoughtful design and engineering.

How about the Masuyama italic nib?

This photo shows the JoWo 1.1 mm steel italic nib on top, and the JoWo Steel nib ground to a 0.8mm "Medium Italic" by Michael Masuyama below it. The top nib happens to be an Edison nib I had installed on my Model 02. For the writing sample, I swapped in the F-C version of this nib.

The Masuyama nib writes narrower than I expected, and, thus, even more narrow than the stock JoWo 1.1mm italic nib than expected. Now, the JoWo 1.1 mm nib has quite respectable thick/thin line differentiation, but the Masuyama nib is truly amazing. It is smooth with just the right amount of feedback, and is very crisp. The thin strokes are really hairlines. This nib compares very favorably to the 14Kt and 18Kt OMAS, Pelikan, Aurora and Conway Stewart nibs Michael has custom ground for me. And, if you look at the price premium F-C charges for it, it's an amazing bargain.

I have read multiple queries on FPN about the differences among the F-C nib offerings. Based on my new Model 20 Marietta compared to my experience with the stock JoWo 1.1 italic nibs on F-C, Edison and TWSBI pens, the Masuyama-ground nibs F-C is offering are the best, and it's not even a close call.

The other FAQ is whether the 18Kt nib is worth the extra expense. I have not written with F-C's stock or Masuyama-ground 18Kt nibs, so I cannot say much. But I am sure impressed with the Steel F-C/Masuyama Medium Italic nib, and I am comparing it to some pretty classy, custom-ground gold nibs.

F-C also offers a Masuyama-ground "Broad Cursive Italic" nib in either steel or 18Kt gold. They say this is a 1.0 mm nib. I would love to have that to use in my F-C pens, but I am waiting to see what F-C says about how tightly installed the nib is on my Model 20.

David

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dms525

• tinta

• Bemo

• kbrede

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much! I love italic nibs and am interested in both the F-C pens you have so this is a useful review!

Thanks very much. Mine is en route with the Masuyama nib as well (will be my third). It was a bit of an impulse buy (safe bet as I've never been disappointed with a F-C purchase) but I am relieved to know how well it posts. I'm afraid of what colors they may make this pen in, I'm trying to cut back on purchases!

I have three (3) F-C Broad Italic Steel Nibs

and one (1) Broad Italic Gold Nib by

Mike Masuyama and they are great nibs.

I am especially happy with the line variation

that each gives.

Thank you for giving us a heads-up on another lovely, simple design coming from Franklin-Christoph.

According to my digital caliper, the new Mod. 20's section (3/8" = 9.6 mm = 0.375") is narrower than my Mod 03's (.391" = 9.93 mm).

That's a good thing, as this narrower grip would be more comfortable for me (closer to a Pelikan 400) .

I have read the description of how the cap is fastened onto this pen, but would love to hear from a user how this suction? or friction? system works in actual use.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

An update on the Model 20:

You may recall that, in the OP, I wrote, "I have just one caution: The nib on my Model 02 was very easy to unscrew from the section. I liked being able to use it with the 1.1, 1.5 and 1.9mm italic and music nibs, as well as a round F nib. The nib on the Model 20 is in there very tight. I have an email to F-C asking about this and will report the outcome when it comes out."

I was reassured by F-C that the nib unscrewed. It was just inset so a #6 nib would fit when the pen was capped. With this information, I applied a bit more torque, and the nib did unscrew. With that, I ordered F-C Masuyama Broad Italic nibs for the Model 20 (or the Model 02) and for the Model 40P, which I had purchased along with the Model 20.

Tinta enquired regarding the new slip cap. It fits very securely and removes with reasonable force. It isn't too hard to get off. You can do it with one hand. But it is secure enough so it will never come off by itself. When posting, the cap doesn't fit as securely as the cap does on the Model 02, but it isn't going anywhere once on.

Happy writing!

David

Edited by dms525

What a great review! Thank you!!

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Excellent review, David. Franklin Christoff has continuously shown itself to be one of the most innovative pen manufacturers out there. Their high quality products and responsive customer service are unbeatable...and it doesn't get much better than a Masuyama nib. Currently waiting for my #19 to be delivered.

Great review! I am sending a Nakaya and a Pilot (both with medium nibs) to Masuyama to have one turned into a cursive italic and the other turned into a round nose cursive italic. I was worried the mediums might be a bit on the small side. I have not yet written with any of his nibs but I have high hopes.

Great review! I am sending a Nakaya and a Pilot (both with medium nibs) to Masuyama to have one turned into a cursive italic and the other turned into a round nose cursive italic. I was worried the mediums might be a bit on the small side. I have not yet written with any of his nibs but I have high hopes.

I am not sure what a "round nose cursive italic" is. Is that different from a stub?

If you want to use your pens for "regular," i.e., typical 20th century American cursive script, your nibs should not be too narrow. However, if you want to use them for Italic writing, I think they are.

In any case, I have complete faith in Michael, as long as he has good information from you regarding your wants. Since you are in San Francisco, I hope you will take advantage of Michael's presence at the SF Pen Show in August. The couple times I have had him grind nibs for me while sitting across his work table have been among the high points of my FP "career."

David

Just received notice that mine has been shipped!

David, do you have any concerns about the longevity of the cap retention?

I see this being my constant rotation. Having a hard time deciding what ink to load it with!

I see this being my constant rotation. Having a hard time deciding what ink to load it with!

Congratulations, I think you'll love it. The model 20 and 66 are my favorites.

I wouldn't worry too much about the cap. The pen has a lifetime warranty. I've had my 20 for a few weeks and haven't seen any issues.

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/warranty.html

Kent

Edited by kbrede

Congratulations!

No concern regarding cap retention.

I'm finding myself carrying the pen every day since I got it. It's the perfect size for carrying in a shirt breast pocket. When new colors come out, I may just get another Model 20. I'm hoping for a "fire and ice."

David

I have three (3) F-C Broad Italic Steel Nibs

and one (1) Broad Italic Gold Nib by

Mike Masuyama and they are great nibs.

I am especially happy with the line variation

that each gives.

Do you find any differences between the steel and the gold nibs, assuming all are ground by Masuyama?

David

I am not sure what a "round nose cursive italic" is. Is that different from a stub?

David

David, I have a "round-nose CI" that Mike ground a couple of years ago. This is his own design.

My nib started out as a meaty Sailor 14K Music nib. Looking at the nib from the top, it looks just like a slightly rounded version of the regular Sailor, two-tine (1.15mm) MS nib.

On the bottom of the nib, the writing edge sits a bit back from the outer rim of the tipping & on my "round-nose" it's only 0.6 mm wide. (about half the width of the original MS nib)

Because the sides of the tipping are ground on an angle towards the writing edge, the ends of the edge do not dig into the paper, even if I slightly rotate the section as I write. And sadly I do rotate a bit.

So,...from the top the nib looks like a fat Stubby MS nib that should lay down a fairly wide line. But the actual writing edge grind is narrower, a small sized cursive italic that is as forgiving as a rounded stub nib.

This is my travel nib.

It's an italic nib, but it is narrow enough to write post cards. Pop in a Sailor Jentle b/b cartridge & I'm good to go.

Hope these quick smart-phone pics give it justice.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Do you find any differences between the steel and the gold nibs, assuming all are ground by Masuyama?

David

I've got gold and steel broad Masuyama italic nibs. The gold has some softness to it. The line it lays down is a little wider than the steel. It's also a smoother writing nib.

I wrote two identical sentences with each nib and gave my wife a blind test. She liked the sentence layed down by the gold nib better, but she couldn't say why. To me the gold nib imparts a little bit more character.

Honestly I don't know which I like better. I'm going to need more time with both, which I don't mind. :)

Kent

David

David ...

They are all in fact Masuyama ground nibs.

The 18K Gold nib has a bit of softness to it

and lays down a nice wet line with no pressure.

The Steel nibs are stiff but not overly so and also

lay down a very nice wet line. Both give great line

variation, both write a very similar line thickness.

I personally think the Gold Nib is a bargain when

you consider that it 18K and ground by one of

the best nibmeisters out there.

Ray

David, I have a "round-nose CI" that Mike ground a couple of years ago. This is his own design.

My nib started out as a meaty Sailor 14K Music nib. Looking at the nib from the top, it looks just like a slightly rounded version of the regular Sailor, two-tine (1.15mm) MS nib.

On the bottom of the nib, the writing edge sits a bit back from the outer rim of the tipping & on my "round-nose" it's only 0.6 mm wide. (about half the width of the original MS nib)

Because the sides of the tipping are ground on an angle towards the writing edge, the ends of the edge do not dig into the paper, even if I slightly rotate the section as I write. And sadly I do rotate a bit.

So,...from the top the nib looks like a fat Stubby MS nib that should lay down a fairly wide line. But the actual writing edge grind is narrower, a small sized cursive italic that is as forgiving as a rounded stub nib.

This is my travel nib.

It's an italic nib, but it is narrow enough to write post cards. Pop in a Sailor Jentle b/b cartridge & I'm good to go.

attachicon.gifround-nose 2-1.jpgattachicon.gifround-nose 1-1.jpg

Hope these quick smart-phone pics give it justice.

Thanks very much for your detailed response.

Last year, at the San Francisco Pen Show, while Michael was working on some nibs for me, he pulled a pen out of his own pocket and told me to try it. He said it was his own favorite grind. Looking at your photos and thinking back to Michael's description of his pen, I think they are the same.

I don't see that that fits my needs, but it is very interesting and points to the depth of nib knowledge and understanding possessed by Mr. Masuyama.

David