The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Newbie Thoughts On Pilot Kakuno (Medium Japanese Nib)

pilot kakuno kakuno medium

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 XYZZY

XYZZY

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:59

I hope it's not horribly inappropriate to revive old threads here on FPN, but this seems mostly on topic with the subject.

I've had a Pilot Kakuno with EF nib and CON-70 converter for close to two months now.  It is my first fountain pen.  I was leaning toward getting a Metropolitan as my first pen, but in reading about converters it seemed like the ability put a CON-70 into the Kakuno would be much better.  At the time I made the choice I was under the impression that the Metropolitan and Kakuno shared the same nib (other than the face on the Kakuno nibs).  I'm not sure that's really the case, though.

I really like the smiley on the nib.  I didn't know there was one with a tongue sticking out, but that's what I received.  Everybody who knows me thinks it is highly appropriate. :P

I don't mind the grip, but since it forces an orientation in your hand it's possible for the nib to not have the correct angle to the paper.  Fortunately it is easy to rotate the nib a few degrees in order to better match my grip.  The body doesn't have an indent or anything the keys the nib and feed to a certain alignment.  Just pull the nib and fee and reinsert.  There are markings on the front of the section that can be used as a reference to how you had it inserted, all that's needed is to pay attention.

+1 for the cap within the cap, which does a great job of keeping the nib from drying.  My current ink dries and hard starts if I let the pen sit uncapped for just five minutes.  But capped I can let it sit for three days and when I pick it up to write it goes as if I had never stopped.

Sponsored Content

#22 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:47

XYZZY, the Kakuno is a great choice for your first fountain pen. Terrific value for the price.

The Pilot Kakuno, Metropolitan/MR/Cocoon, Penmanship, Plumix, Pluminix, 78G, 78G+, Prera all share the same nib. You can swap them easily. 

As for the ink drying up, unfortunately, very few inks won't dry up if they're left to the open air for 5 minutes. Some of our reviewers specify this trait in their ink reviews, if you want to check them out.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot kakuno, kakuno, medium

Sponsored Content

|