P75 Sterling Silver Cisele

mitto

Picked up this P75 for $75.00 from a local vintage shop. It isn't in a very good condition. But not bad either. It is M nib. Did I do well?

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• Manalto

• Matlock

• prf5

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will shine up beautifully :-)

My life is full of mistakes. They're like pebbles that make a good road.

Beatrice Wood

It will shine up beautifully :-)

Thank you , Mam . How should I make it shine up , egretsrus?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

You did well mitto. Nice pen.

Really , Matlock? Thank you . Would you be kind enough to let me know how should I proceed cleaning and polishing the pen?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Really , Matlock? Thank you . Would you be kind be enough to let me know how should I proceed cleaning and polishing the pen?

The best way is to use a silver polishing cloth and don't rub too hard. Parker and Conway Stewart pens used to come with a cloth enclosed in the box but there are several brands available, Goddard's are a reputable make. Again I say use VERY sparingly. As a first stage wash with warm soapy water and, again, don't rub too hard.

Peter

I use Sunshine cloths - you can get a 3 pack on Amazon or order them from Ron Zorn at Main Street Pens.

Edited by BiggieD

By the way, you did very well!

It is only a user grade pen. And I have already got the polishing cloth. Cleaned the pen with warm soapy water. Now will do the polishong. Thank you , BiggieD , for the kind advice.

Khan M. Ilyas

It's a beauty, Mitto. Current prices on eBay start around double what you paid and go up to and beyond absurd. I think you did well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on this design you just want to polish the highlights.

Which is correct, cisele (chiseled) or ciselé (chased)?

Edited by Manalto

James

It's a beauty, Mitto. Current prices on eBay start around double what you paid and go up to and beyond absurd. I think you did well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on this design you just want to polish the highlights.

Which is correct, cisele (chiseled) or ciselé (chased)?

The latter. Lol.

Khan M. Ilyas

Oh , the highilights only ? Not the whole pen?

Yes, don't polish out the patina in the engraved lines. If the pen is a later version these lines will be filled with enamel.

"For emphasis, some versions have the engraved lines are filled with a black enamel instead of simply letting the patina darken the lines. This enamel made the grid pattern more pronounced".

The correct term is ciselé.

Peter

No , Matlock , the lines on my pen are not filled with enamel. And , I don't know how to type it any other way than (cisele) on my cell phone keyboard. I knoew the term is as you said . Just can't type it. lol.

Khan M. Ilyas

No , Matlock , the lines on my pen are not filled with enamel. And , I don't know how to type it any other way than (cisele) on my cell phone keyboard. I knoew the term is as you said . Just can't type it. lol.

I think your version is much nicer, with the natural variations of lighter and deeper black of the oxidized silver in the lines.

In Word, you can type ALT + 0233, but it doesn't work here. I had to cut from elsewhere and paste to get the accent aigu.

Edited by Manalto

James

I agree with Manalto, mitto, the enamel makes the pen look a little "cheap" so you have the better version.

Peter

I agree with Manalto, mitto, the enamel makes the pen look a little "cheap" so you have the better version.

The pen has tiniest , almost invisible , dents on the barrel. Shall I leave them as they are or anything can be done about these ?

Khan M. Ilyas

Beautiful pen and a great deal. As you said, it is user grade, so I would just use it. I have one and it always get positive remarks.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Beautiful pen and a great deal. As you said, it is user grade, so I would just use it. I have one and it always gets positive remarks.

+1 Patina on sterling - I submit that the wee dents make it better.

Edited by Manalto

James