Waterman Overlay 553 Set And 14K Waterman Ideal Pen, Please Help To Id

twism94

Hello Gang,

Need your help as i could not find any info online for 0553.

Here is narrative:

1. Waterman set:

FP is marked 0553 at the bottom , Nib is marked Ideal 2

Cap marked Waterman Barrel : made in USA.

Matching pencil, absolutely same color and pattern wise, but pencil is marked 14K on clip, top and bottom ring. total 3 14KT markings.

and lastly Rose Gold Waterman pen, marked on clip,cap and barrel with 14KT keyhole Ideal nib.

There is no "waterman" stamp anywhere, but clip has Ideal Globe pat Sept 26-05 and lever as well.

I would really appreciate your input. Those pens are not for sale(bought it for myself) but in case you wondering i paid $620 for all 3.

Thanks

DG

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• twism94

• kirchh

• Left FPN

• Freddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Mosey on over to David Nishimura his site site vintagepensdotcom

has Waterman overlay patterns..................................here........

http://www.vintagepens.com/Waterman_overlay_patterns.shtml

and Waterman model numbers...................................here........

http://www.vintagepens.com/FAQhistory/waterman_numbering.shtml

all the information you will need to see what you have...........

Fred

thanks

but still cannot find 0553 in any book or online

seems to go from 0552 1/2 to 0554

Edited by twism94

thanks

but still cannot find 0553 in any book or online

seems to go from 0552 1/2 to 0554

Agree....but let us not forget the 558.....

The only explanation..error at point of manufacture

re: imprint 55( ) or lack of one....unless someone

altered at some point in its history..or age took its toll....

I hope one of the Waterman mavens will comment.

Fred

It does get a mention here

558 would mean a massive nib and probably pen.

We cannot count out the nib having been changed from 3 to 2.

Edited by Force

I have seen a few early Waterman pens with a #3 nib, but they are pretty rare. They were on #13 pens - eyedrop fillers. Your pen is a lever-filled basket-weave pattern - not early at all. You didn't show a picture of the imprint. Sometimes these are worn and hard to read. I think the most likely thing is that it is marked 0552 and, for some reason (wear or a scratch), it appears to be a "3" for the last number.

All three items are clearly Waterman, even if one of the pens isn't marked. The 14 k pen is the earlier Trefoil pattern, and has a replacement keyhole nib. The original nib was probably a #2 Waterman New York. This is really a nice pen - especially in the rose gold. The proper nib for this one is easy to find, and not expensive if you want to make it a bit more "original". You made a great deal with these 3 items - congrats!!

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

thanks for your responses,

I checked again and it clearly imprinted 0553(pic attached).

DG, Congratulations on the nice haul! The rose gold 14K pen is magnificent!

I've had a few 13 size Waterman pens. I have a 13 BHR Waterman pen with two chased gold-filled bands at present. So, I was not terribly surprised to see your 0553, although I'll admit I hadn't seen a "3" size overlay before. Perhaps it was a special order.... It looks like it has been used a great deal (lots of brassing), so it wouldn't be unusual for the nib to have been replaced. An Ideal 3 nib would be appropriate and not impossible to find if you were so inclined.

Perhaps David Nishimura will weigh in; he is the expert in this areas (as well as others!).

Best,

Daniel

0555 evidence.

Here you go, a 0553...again with #2 nib...Ohhh no, it's you. But what is spooky, is that I posted this reply at 05:53.

Edited by Force

Frankly, I still can't tell from the picture. I have a large number of Waterman's with a model number that ends in a "2". Often it looks like a "3" because the stamp causes a sort of "curl" around the entire imprint. The lower part of the "2" which curves around to the bottom horizontal line is also very narrow. This all combines occasionally to look more like a "3" than a "2". I do admit that your picture looks more like a "3" than a "2", assuming I knew nothing else about Waterman model numbers. However, it also looks like the bottom of the "3" is pretty straight horizontally, like the "2". The Waterman "3" usually has a very curvy bottom. Plus, I really believe the #3 nibs were discontinued long before the lever fillers were made.

Like I said before, #13 pens are around, but I have never seen a #53. Much less a #0553. Maybe they exist, but I still doubt it. If your pen had a #3 nib, I would certainly believe it. But your nib is most likely original - more evidence for an 0552.

Edited by Procyon

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana." - Groucho Marx

Frankly, I still can't tell from the picture. I have a large number of Waterman's with a model number that ends in a "2". Often it looks like a "3" because the stamp causes a sort of "curl" around the entire imprint. The lower part of the "2" which curves around to the bottom horizontal line is also very narrow. This all combines occasionally to look more like a "3" than a "2". I do admit that your picture looks more like a "3" than a "2", assuming I knew nothing else about Waterman model numbers. However, it also looks like the bottom of the "3" is pretty straight horizontally, like the "2". The Waterman "3" usually has a very curvy bottom. Plus, I really believe the #3 nibs were discontinued long before the lever fillers were made.

Like I said before, #13 pens are around, but I have never seen a #53. Much less a #0553. Maybe they exist, but I still doubt it. If your pen had a #3 nib, I would certainly believe it. But your nib is most likely original - more evidence for an 0552.

If you go to my link #9 using ebay zoom you can see it's a 3.

I would really appreciate your input. Those pens are not for sale(bought it for myself)

Then why do you keep listing them on eBay?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Then why do you keep listing them on eBay?

--Daniel

a regular statement me thinks. Peps join to get all the info and perhaps a price then....zooooom, they is gone.

I usually put items i dont know nothing about at outrageous prices to get a feel of value. However i've been a member for a long long time and educate myself frequently.

I usually put items i dont know nothing about at outrageous prices to get a feel of value. However i've been a member for a long long time and educate myself frequently.

How does listng an item at an "outrageous price" give you a feel of value?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer

from offers

DG

Ah, so you deceive buyers by pretending you actually want to sell the item in order to attract offers that you use to value the item which is not really for sale.

--Daniel

Daniel Kirchheimer

Judging from my feedback does it look like that to you?

I think we off the topic. But thanks for your input.

Judging from my feedback does it look like that to you?

I think we off the topic. But thanks for your input.

You won't get feedback when you use this dishonest technique, because you won't sell the item.

You have clearly stated that you list items on eBay that are not really for sale in order to dupe bidders into unknowingly acting as appraisers for you. That's not a matter of opinion or interpretation; it is simply the process you have described.

--Daniel

Edited by kirchh

Daniel Kirchheimer