Bad Service At Montblanc Boutique Follow Up.

Black Spot

A while ago I posted this thread about the extremely bad service at the Montblanc boutique,

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/273205-bad-service-at-the-montblanc-boutique/?do=findComment&comment=3101621

Now I am going to post a follow up, I was contacted by Montblanc, who appologised. When I went to the boutique to pick up my pen I had a very nice conversation with the store manager, Who sincerely apologized again.

I think the The store manger really did feel bad about what had happed.

Montblanc went all out on the pen repair replacing all worn parts not just fixing the bent nib, at no extra cost and the initial cost had been reduced buy half, I also got some free ink.

Montblanc also said that they really hoped that this bad experience would not put me off their pens.

they caught the rebound, ad there are no hard feelings.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pravda

• jmccarty3

• Shannon

• Tom Kellie

Too be honest I'm surprised you had a bad experience!

Glad that they patched it up and everything is all right!

Too be honest I'm surprised you had a bad experience!

Glad that they patched it up and everything is all right!

Not surprised at all. The NYC Boutique was arrogant and unresponsive every time I was in there. Not a good sign? Still like my 146 though, thanks,

Post Script

Not surprised at all. The NYC Boutique was arrogant and unresponsive every time I was in there. Not a good sign? Still like my 146 though, thanks,

Post Script

"Every time," as in repeatedly? You mean, you've returned since that day you wrote that the staff would not approach you even though you were in their shop for a full half hour or more? (I just cannot imagine the humiliation of such treatment after five minutes, let alone staying for thirty!) Why would you go back? On top of that, on these more recent visits, they piled on the humiliation by not only refusing to respond to you, but they became arrogant?

Sorry, but unless you are doing something offensive, this didn't sound plausible two years ago, and now the story is just growing.

fishstory.jpg

Kevin, the (then) NYC Madison Avenue shop's manager, treated me very well, invited me to sit and wait out the rain while he helped me remove an ink stain I suffered earlier in the day, and offered me refreshment. The staff knew I was visiting New York and that I use the King of Prussia store for purchases. Incidentally, I read that Montblanc expanded the boutique in late 2013 and alas, Kevin is gone.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

I am surprised the store and the company were contrite but it's encouraging that they made the gestures. Perhaps they (belatedly) realized that, as an unnecessary and expensive accessory (by definition, any expensive pen, especially a fountain pen), the brand is best served and protected by excellent customer service.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one.

A few months ago, I decided it might be a good idea to begin a relationship with my local boutique in Dallas. I visited there several times and was always well treated--bought a couple of pens and leather cases--was shown the photos of upcoming releases. The staff showed great interest in a few vintage Montblancs that I had with me because I was coming from a meeting of the local pen club. Since then, I have sent a few emails inquiring about the availability of certain items, and have received no response at all. Yesterday I called and was told that the manager would call me back. He never did. I realize I am not their best customer, but it seems odd that they would pass up the opportunity to make a sale.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Sorry to bump this thread, but it seemed better than starting a new one.

A few months ago, I decided it might be a good idea to begin a relationship with my local boutique in Dallas. I visited there several times and was always well treated--bought a couple of pens and leather cases--was shown the photos of upcoming releases. The staff showed great interest in a few vintage Montblancs that I had with me because I was coming from a meeting of the local pen club. Since then, I have sent a few emails inquiring about the availability of certain items, and have received no response at all. Yesterday I called and was told that the manager would call me back. He never did. I realize I am not their best customer, but it seems odd that they would pass up the opportunity to make a sale.

The boutique manager here and one of his senior relationship managers take very good care of me and call me back 95% of the time. But when I talk to someone else or ask for them, I never get called back.

I believe that you maybe should grow a personal relationship with one or two specific individuals to get your connections right.

Edited by Pravda

The boutique manager here and one of his senior relationship managers take very good care of me and call me back 95% of the time. But when I talk to someone else or ask for them, I never get called back.

I believe that you maybe should grow a personal relationship with one or two specific individuals to get your connections right.

That's actually what I've done, but the email address for the boutique is a generic one, not to anyone in particular. When I called, the sales associate I've worked with was out, and the manager was assisting another customer, so I had no choice but to leave a message. I'll have an opportunity to go over there in the middle of the week this week, and I'll try to see how things stand.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

That's actually what I've done, but the email address for the boutique is a generic one, not to anyone in particular. When I called, the sales associate I've worked with was out, and the manager was assisting another customer, so I had no choice but to leave a message. I'll have an opportunity to go over there in the middle of the week this week, and I'll try to see how things stand.

That's true about their email address and also when assisting other customers, they sometimes are not given the message by the employees who don't know us. C'est la vie

It's sad that we, as customers, have to earn their "customer service."

My fingers are always inky and I'm always looking for something new.  Interested in trading?  Contact me!

It's not just the store, it's their entire company. They don't know what it means to be a premium brand.

I bought a platinum ballpoint at the Amsterdam Schiphol Boutique last summer and was told that i would be able to exchange the medium ballpoint for a broad at any store because they didn't have it at that particular store. When I got home I went to the Madison Ave store and asked that they exchange it. Instead, I was told rather rudely that they don't exchange refill for their ballpoint pens. Great! After spending close to $400 for a pen you would think that they would graciously swap the refill? Nope. The salesperson wasn't going to budge.

So I complained by emailing as well as calling their customer support. The customer support said there was nothing that they could do and I never got a reply from my email. Fantastic!

I told myself that I will never buy another Montblanc product again.

It's sad. Being a premium brand don't just mean you charge a premium price. It should also mean that you offer premium service and support. They seem to have forgotten that part of the equation. Take Apple for example. They charge a premium for their products but they also bend over backwards to support their products. Anyone who's ever been to an Apple store can attest to that.

Good on them. I hear horror stories all the time, but it's nice that they fixed it up.

It's sad. Being a premium brand don't just mean you charge a premium price. It should also mean that you offer premium service and support. They seem to have forgotten that part of the equation. Take Apple for example. They charge a premium for their products but they also bend over backwards to support their products. Anyone who's ever been to an Apple store can attest to that.

I agree that this should be the case, but certainly in London (UK) I cannot say that Apple provide good service in their stores. Twice now when dealing with products that have been faulty out of the box - visibly broken components - I have been told that they do not want to deal with me in store unless I have made an appointment.

This is not good customer service.

Fortunately, we have many pen manufacturers and retailers that do actually understand how to provide good customer service, and do so consistently. Battersea Pen Home, Henry Simpole, FG Thomas - take a well deserved bow.

I went to the Toronto Boutique *expecting* to be looked down upon. The ladies working there were most kind, even though I was only there to buy ink.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I can only sing praises for the Orlando boutique. I'm in Tallahassee but I usually use the Tampa store. Circumstances led me to deal with the Orlando boutique. Everything was done over the phone. My salesman was enthusiastic and very helpful. I ordered a pen and they overnighted it at no charge for shipping. The packaging job was fantastic. I got the customary bottle of ink and also a friendly letter. Orlando will be my primary boutique from now on.

It's not just the store, it's their entire company. They don't know what it means to be a premium brand.

I bought a platinum ballpoint at the Amsterdam Schiphol Boutique last summer and was told that i would be able to exchange the medium ballpoint for a broad at any store because they didn't have it at that particular store. When I got home I went to the Madison Ave store and asked that they exchange it. Instead, I was told rather rudely that they don't exchange refill for their ballpoint pens. Great! After spending close to $400 for a pen you would think that they would graciously swap the refill? Nope. The salesperson wasn't going to budge.

So I complained by emailing as well as calling their customer support. The customer support said there was nothing that they could do and I never got a reply from my email. Fantastic!

I told myself that I will never buy another Montblanc product again.

Are you serious?

In Amsterdam they didn't write that on the warranty leaflet or gave you any other written proof, do they?

You really believed that any sales assistant at any Montblanc store in the world would change a used refill for free just because you tell that story that an official Montblanc store didn't have a broad refill? That's implausible.

Isn't your demand a little bit blue-eyed?

Hey, it's just an object of usage and not worth to make up a big thing of it.

And btw, Apple wouldn't change a battery for free either.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Are you serious?

In Amsterdam they didn't write that on the warranty leaflet or gave you any other written proof, do they?

You really believed that any sales assistant at any Montblanc store in the world would change a used refill for free just because you tell that story that an official Montblanc store didn't have a broad refill? That's implausible.

Isn't your demand a little bit blue-eyed?

Hey, it's just an object of usage and not worth to make up a big thing of it.

And btw, Apple wouldn't change a battery for free either.

to be honest his entire story sounds suspect, he most likely misunderstood the boutique when they were talking about the refills, or he sounds a bit entitled after "oh hoho spending a few hundred on the pen shell".