What Do You Carry In Your Midori Traveler's Notebook?

kansaskyle

I recently picked up a faux-dori on Etsy that was a little wider than the standard one. Inside, I currently have:

• Midori Zipper pocket (empty)
  • Midori Kraft folder (empty)
  • Two Banditapple notebooks (one as a daily journal, and the other is lined to do some penmanship practice when out and about)
  • Kindle Voyage - it just sits in the notebook since I couldn't figure out a way to secure it that I liked. I didn't really want to go the velcro route.

I'm curious what people carry in their notebooks that you find useful.

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pavoni

• PaperDarts

• graystranger

• webgeckos

Not much really (I don't want my MTN to be too chunky):

* 1 Midori planner (week on 2 pages)

* 1 Midori notebook (my fave is #003) as a daily journal

* 1 Midori zippered pouch - contains items like labels, receipts, and quotes to be used as journal prompts.

* 1 Midori craft folder - contains a few sheets of Midori sketch paper for doodling, as well as a few small sheets of Rhodia grid paper for making grocery lists and such.

* 1 piece of blotter paper (used as a bookmark in the daily journal)

* 1 writing mat to even out the writing surface

* 1 Midori brass template for numbers, and one for letters - probably the least useful addition to my traveler's notebook so far.

Edited by john74

I have a Fauxdori from Etsy too, passport size - in it I keep three notebooks: 1 general purpose, another for books and reading, and the third usually relates to a project (reminders for opening the cottage next month) or a trip I'm planning. I also have a Midori zippered pouch which currently carries postage stamps, Post-its, and some extra tabs. For tabs I use sticky removable binder tabs from an office supply store.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Nice thread; I like to see and hear the variations, here's a picture and list...

IMAG0494_1.jpg

Kraft folder - receipts and boarding passes (really good because the bar code can peek out the edge for easy scanning)

Blank booklet (for Kanji practice)

Graph booklet (for notes)

J Herbin blotter sheets (to avoid my slow drying inks from smearing)

Drafting stencils

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Blotter sheets - great idea, I'm going to cut a couple down to size right now!

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

kansaskyle, this is a great topic, thank you. I'll be following this for sure.

In my Midori Passport Traveler's Notebook I have the following:

6-month weekly planner

blank Midori insert

lined Midori insert

plastic zippered/pocket insert

several stick-on plastic pockets stuck to the back of the cover and to the faces of the inserts and the kraft folder.

The kraft file folder that I made from a kraft envelope (easy to do), just cut the bottom off an envelope to the height of the Midori, cut the "front" of the envelope to make the two slanted pockets. Tape the corners where it might come loose. So cheap and a fun project.

In my zippered pouch: a titanium tooth pick, an eyeglass lens cloth, several Brush Picks (teeth cleaning). In the back slots of the pocket insert I keep bandages of several size.

In the stick on pockets I keep a calendar, receipts, business cards, 3x5 Dot-Dash Nock Co. cards, pieces of scrap paper. On the top of the cover I have a metal "Acco" "Quick Clip" paper clip to secure something to the front cover temporarily. It is flat, snaps open and shut easily.

Finally, I have a piece of J. Herbin blotter paper cut to size slipped in the weekly planner at this week's place so i can make an entry and close it book without waiting for the ink to dry. Noodler's Heat of Darkness in my Fine Pilot Vanishing Point almost does not need it, but any other ink does.

Maybe I'll take everything out and take a photo of what I have in the Midori. I love it. After about 18 months it is still working just fine. I had to punch a new hole higher up in the back of the cover so the cord knot would be above the pocket I stuck on the inside of the back.

This notebook is with me all the time. Midori paper is thin and wonderful, I can use nearly any ink without bleed through, though the more saturated inks I love take a bit to dry. Thus the need for a piece of blotting paper.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

In my Midori passport notebooks, I only have two unlined refills and a writing mat. I will probably keep it that way.

In my Midori standard version, I currently have two unlined refills but have ordered a Kraft folder (thanks for the tip on barcode scanning Stevesurf). I have also ordered a Midiori zippered pouch, within which I will keep stamps and post-it notes etc.

Having seen this excellent post (thanks kansaskyle :thumbup: ) I will adopt the idea of inserting blotting paper and the Midori planner with the week on two pages (thanks john74 :thumbup: )

I will now order a standard-sized writing mat (only seen passport version so far).

Quick question to those of you with more than two refills in your notebooks.... are all these items put under the original main elastic and Midori's spare elastics for inserts, or have you added a second main elastic to the notebook?

Pavoni.

I carry:

1. One Official Midori Sketchbook

2. One homemade sketchbook made with Stone Paper - for doing metalpoint sketches

3. One homemade ink notebook made with Tomoe River Paper

4. One official Midori blank book for notes etc.

5. Midori TN Zipper pocket that holds tabs and stamps.

My sister made me a beautiful Midori passport style book:

1. A mini Clairefontain notebook

2. A Vanness ink sampler booklet

3. A field notes book

There is one more notebook, not sure what it is, the passport book is at home.

Quick question to those of you with more than two refills in your notebooks.... are all these items put under the original main elastic and Midori's spare elastics for inserts, or have you added a second main elastic to the notebook?

Pavoni.

Pavoni,

I have the three inserts that I list above. I use one of the Midori extra rubber bands to hold the first and last insert to the middle one, which is held in by the main elastic band. I know you can get cheap rubber bands at Staples, etc. But, the Midori bands are made of silicone rubber and are superior.

One caveat: I used to tuck the page marking cord into the slot at the bottom of the spine of the cover. But, it will cut through the rubber band if you do this. I now just let it dangle out the bottom.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

I made my own MT, and researched threading. Mine has 3 elastics plus I use two of the MTN rubber band thingies.

In my regular size Midori I have the month on 2 pages insert, a page a day planner and a blank notebook for sketches, ideas and notes. I use Midori spare rubber bands. I have stick on pockets inside the leather covers for business cards.

The zipper pouch is great. Mine carries a thin pencil (so I can pencil things into my schedule) my ID and credit card. A little cash too. And receipts. Shopping lists. (Kaweco silver Al Sport in pocket.) My Midori is also my wallet.

I use a blotter paper too. I blot with it, of course, but it makes a good bookmark.

A Midori feels good in the hand. It gets compliments too!

I would like to give a loaded up passport size as a gift. Would someone share a source for an extra wide that holds more inserts than usual?

Pavoni.

Pavoni,

I have the three inserts that I list above. I use one of the Midori extra rubber bands to hold the first and last insert to the middle one, which is held in by the main elastic band. I know you can get cheap rubber bands at Staples, etc. But, the Midori bands are made of silicone rubber and are superior.

One caveat: I used to tuck the page marking cord into the slot at the bottom of the spine of the cover. But, it will cut through the rubber band if you do this. I now just let it dangle out the bottom.

Much appreciated greystranger, particularly on the tip about the page marking cord. I have readjusted mine, thanks. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

In a brown regular:

Some stick-on pockets on inside front and rear

013 notebook insert (the 128 page tomoe river paper one)

Zipper pocket thing

Baum-Kuchen leather Portfolio with a Kokuyo Idea notebook (Tomoe River Paper, grid) in the back pocket

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

Lots of great ideas - thanks everyone for contributing!

Below are the things I plan to add:

• Bandages, blotter paper, and note cards (graystranger)
  • Writing mat (pavoni) - Where do you find one of these? I have one from Nanami Paper that I thought about cutting down to size, but would be fine just buying a Midori-sized one since I use the current one for writing in some Clairefontaine notebooks.
  • Cash (Green ink)

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk

• Writing mat (pavoni) - Where do you find one of these? I have one from Nanami Paper that I thought about cutting down to size, but would be fine just buying a Midori-sized one since I use the current one for writing in some Clairefontaine notebooks.

JetPens carries something called 'writing boards' in various sizes, perhaps they would work for you.

Hi kansaskyle, if you want one of the writing mats now, you are better of with stonezebra's suggestion of JetPens or identifying another Midori supplier. I contacted The Journal Shop this morning to enquire about the standard sized writing mat.

The Journal Shop were typically prompt in their response. Apparently this stock is a seasonal item, coming in with the new dated diary each year. They have now sold out for 2015 and will not now re-stock the item until the new 2016 dated diaries come in, which I suppose will be September/October 2015! I will probably wait.

Pavoni.

Edited by pavoni

I bought my writing mat from Nanamipaper. It was originally in a B5 size (5mm grid), but I cut it down using a utility knife to fit my MTN.

My Pan Am Edition arrived today - Love it! So I just reorganized. I have:

• ​019 - Free Weekly Diary & Memo
  • Pan Am Zipper Pocket
  • 007 - Card Holder
  • 020 - Kraft File
  • Pan Am Grid Refill
  • 022 - Sticky Notes
  • Pan Am Blank Refill
  • Custom Hobonichi-style planner from Etsy
  • Pan Am Pen Holder with a Lamy Studio

Right now, the TN is about 1 3/4" thick. A little bulky, but has everything I need.

Edited by blINK

Chris

Carpe Stylum!

Congratulations bliNK. Looks like a great setup, which is bound to serve you well.

May I ask how you will be carrying it? Does it fit into one of your pockets or will it be carried in a bag/pack/briefcase?

Will you be using it for work and personal stuff?

At the moment, I am using mine for personal stuff rather than work, for which I have another system and as such, at the moment, as it unfortunately doesn't fit into my weekend jacket pockets, I am carrying it in a little slim backpack (one of those hydration packs).

Pavoni.

Congratulations bliNK. Looks like a great setup, which is bound to serve you well.

May I ask how you will be carrying it? Does it fit into one of your pockets or will it be carried in a bag/pack/briefcase?

Will you be using it for work and personal stuff?

At the moment, I am using mine for personal stuff rather than work, for which I have another system and as such, at the moment, as it unfortunately doesn't fit into my weekend jacket pockets, I am carrying it in a little slim backpack (one of those hydration packs).

Pavoni.

It is too big to be comfortably carried in a pocket, except maybe for cargo shorts. I carry it in my messenger bag which is always with me.

It is a mix of everything - work and personal.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!