The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Identifying This Montblanc Meisterstuck Ballpoint Pen

montblanc meisterstuck ballpoint fake identifying

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 jeremyaus10

jeremyaus10

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:18

Hi,
I recently obtained this MB Meisterstuck ballpoint pen. I know this is a FP forum, but maybe someone can help me on Ballpoints!

I have doubts on whether its a genuine MB.. I have attached a few photos.
1. The "pix" is on the band, not under the clip. Under the clip has "made in Germany" - is this common?
2. There is a serial number. IW1666858
3. The bottom part of the pen (under strong light) goes slightly red.

Any help would be great!

Many thanks.

Attached Images

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Apparently I'm "not allowed" to buy "anymore pens".... this is why I have a separate bank account from my wife  :P 

Current pens on rotation: MB 146 (F), Lamy 2000 SS (M & F), Parker Duofold (M) in MB Oyster Grey, MB 146 BP, Lamy Logo BP.

Pens in transit: MB 149 (F)
Pens I think about: MB 149, Lamy 2000, Cross Townsend, MB WE Hemingway, MB SE JFK, Parker Duofold Big Red (centennial).

Sponsored Content

#2 Maxpens

Maxpens

Max

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:50

Looks original, 164 ballpoint pen.

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

#3 NickRS

NickRS

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:05

Looks original, 164 ballpoint pen.

I'd agree with the previous comment.
Looks authentic.

#4 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:04

I have that. I think MB calls the the LeGrande. It's a twist to expose the ballpoint right?

#5 SE1980

SE1980

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:25

I have that. I think MB calls the the LeGrande. It's a twist to expose the ballpoint right?

Le Grand is the larger 161, this thinner 164 is named Classique. Yes, they're operated by a twist mechanism.

Lamy 2000 FP, PP & BP. Mont Blanc Meisterstück 161 Le Grand Platinum BP & Heritage 1912 FP.

#6 Rowbo

Rowbo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:32

Google the serial number IW1666858 - not a good result.

You don't know what you need until you realise you haven't got it.

#7 cooljatt18

cooljatt18

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 18:49

something looks off!! + as Rowbo suggested. 

How does the pen weigh is it light or heavy ??

#8 jeremyaus10

jeremyaus10

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2015 - 21:40

something looks off!! + as Rowbo suggested. 
How does the pen weigh is it light or heavy ??

Not a good sign.
It's slightish. I'll go find a scales.

Apparently I'm "not allowed" to buy "anymore pens".... this is why I have a separate bank account from my wife  :P 

Current pens on rotation: MB 146 (F), Lamy 2000 SS (M & F), Parker Duofold (M) in MB Oyster Grey, MB 146 BP, Lamy Logo BP.

Pens I think about: MB 149, Lamy 2000, Cross Townsend, MB WE Hemingway, MB SE JFK, Parker Duofold Big Red (centennial).

#9 I like mango cheesecake

I like mango cheesecake

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:24

That's a genuine fake Montblanc!

#10 canibanoglu

canibanoglu

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:42

If it is a fake that's a very good fake. Apart from the serial number everything looks in order. "Precious resin" does have a reddish hue under strong light. I don't know about ballpoints but my MB149 has the pix on the cap band and the underside of the clip has "Made in Germany" and "metal" below that. I know that the 149 is an authentic one, bought it from an authorized seller but I'm not sure if this is a recent change to the placement of the engravings. 

The box and the papers look authentic but then again it wouldn't be very hard to find a Montblanc box with papers. If you have a MB boutique near you, I'd advise you to take it to them and they may be able to help you understand if it's a genuine one.

I sometimes write about pens, inks and papers!

#11 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:54

Straight off I didn't like to see the large gap in the plush insert where the pen sits inside the box. That rang warning bells right away. Montblanc don't make boxes like that. Authentic Mb boxes hold the pen securely, and almost bury it, in a thin slit in the deep plush lining.

I can't quite see the printing on the warranty because of the flash, but that doesn't look right either.

So the box and warranty for me have all of the hallmarks of a fake.

If the pen came in this box, then that could mean it's potentially a fake.

The clip band looks a bit too wide for me, and the printing on the centre cap band doesn't look crisp enough

I haven't searched for the serial number, but my money is on it being a fake.

#12 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:55

The box and the papers look authentic but then again it wouldn't be very hard to find a Montblanc box with papers. If you have a MB boutique near you, I'd advise you to take it to them and they may be able to help you understand if it's a genuine one.

Actually they really don't

#13 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:01

"Precious resin" does have a reddish hue under strong light.

The 145 that I bought new, from a dealer in China for $13, has the reddish hue. That is NOT a sign of a genuine MB as the fakes are getting better all the time.

Peter

#14 Mister Mont Blanc

Mister Mont Blanc

Mr. Montblanc has cheated and fallen in love with Mr. Visconti

• Member - Gold

• 859 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:41

All of the signs you pointed out are actually good signs of a Montblanc usually being genuine. Unfortunately in this case, it appears the pen is still a counterfeit. Unless this is the original pen the counterfeiters stole the serial number from, it has been reported as a commonly-used serial number on reproductions. As Chrissy pointed out, the box and and warranty booklet are definitely fake. The pen you show is such a common, simple Montblanc that there are not many ways to tell the difference between a real pen and really good counterfeit pen.

I keep thinking about selling some of my pens but all that happens is I keep acquiring more!

#15 Broxi

Broxi

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 April 2015 - 13:48

Things like this worry me as a newbie trying to get into this hobby. The counterfeits appear to be very good

#16 sloan1919

sloan1919

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2015 - 06:08

Can confirm that serial is common for fakes. I almost got ripped on a fake with that serial from eBay. Once I figured out it was fake I bought a gen directly from MB and was able to compare. Biggest difference other that subjective things like weight, quality, etc. was to take the cap off and look directly into it. The gen has an X in the bottom of the hole, the fake did not. There were other very slight differences (depth of sn engraving, sn size, amount of refill that extends from the hole but all would be hard for me to explain if you don't have something to compare it to. My advice is to always Google the serial number before buying or if you are willing, do what I did and buy from MB if you are not familiar enough with a model to spot a fake.

#17 jeremyaus10

jeremyaus10

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:20

Can confirm that serial is common for fakes. I almost got ripped on a fake with that serial from eBay. Once I figured out it was fake I bought a gen directly from MB and was able to compare. Biggest difference other that subjective things like weight, quality, etc. was to take the cap off and look directly into it. The gen has an X in the bottom of the hole, the fake did not. There were other very slight differences (depth of sn engraving, sn size, amount of refill that extends from the hole but all would be hard for me to explain if you don't have something to compare it to. My advice is to always Google the serial number before buying or if you are willing, do what I did and buy from MB if you are not familiar enough with a model to spot a fake.

Thanks for your advice, I shall do so next time. 

#18 Maya85

Maya85

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:35

Hello everyone!

New to this forum. I like Montblanc, have 2 vintage fountain pens. Recently I bought a ballpoint pen  / won an auction on eBay. The seller had written that he bought it by a well-known person, who is a known seller of MB (I will not write the name here, unless necessary). I have no intentention to return the pen or accuse the seller of any kind of false info, I am just curious if you could help me identify if the ballpen is authentic or a good fake. What worries me, is the weight of the pen, looks lighty in hand... And the material compared to the old fountain-pens that I have is slightly diffrent..

So here it goes.. it is supposed to be a Montblanc Meisterstuck LeGrand ballpoint pen. When you take the refill out, the spring does not fall out. 

Here are the pictures.. The Pix under the clip is not engraved IN, it rather sticks OUT of the level of the clip..

Sorry I do not have a better camera.

https://www.flickr.c...2/shares/XbV4s1

#19 Eric_H

Eric_H

Used by Montblanc.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:53

Hi,
I recently obtained this MB Meisterstuck ballpoint pen. I know this is a FP forum, but maybe someone can help me on Ballpoints!
I have doubts on whether its a genuine MB.. I have attached a few photos.
1. The "pix" is on the band, not under the clip. Under the clip has "made in Germany" - is this common?
2. There is a serial number. IW1666858
3. The bottom part of the pen (under strong light) goes slightly red.
Any help would be great!
Many thanks.

Pretty nice 164 Ballpoint. Certainly,without a doubt,100% (you get it), a genuine fake. That's unfortunate.

Edited by Eric_H, 11 August 2017 - 12:59.

“He's turned his life around. He used to be depressed and miserable. Now he's miserable and depressed.”
― David Frost

#20 Eric_H

Eric_H

Used by Montblanc.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2017 - 13:01

Hello everyone!
New to this forum. I like Montblanc, have 2 vintage fountain pens. Recently I bought a ballpoint pen  / won an auction on eBay. The seller had written that he bought it by a well-known person, who is a known seller of MB (I will not write the name here, unless necessary). I have no intentention to return the pen or accuse the seller of any kind of false info, I am just curious if you could help me identify if the ballpen is authentic or a good fake. What worries me, is the weight of the pen, looks lighty in hand... And the material compared to the old fountain-pens that I have is slightly diffrent..

So here it goes.. it is supposed to be a Montblanc Meisterstuck LeGrand ballpoint pen. When you take the refill out, the spring does not fall out. 

Here are the pictures.. The Pix under the clip is not engraved IN, it rather sticks OUT of the level of the clip..
Sorry I do not have a better camera.

https://www.flickr.c...2/shares/XbV4s1

Either the best fake ever or a genuine. Looks pretty real,but the Pix is usually engraved. Take it to a Montblanc dealer,they'll help you.
“He's turned his life around. He used to be depressed and miserable. Now he's miserable and depressed.”
― David Frost

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, meisterstuck, ballpoint, fake, identifying

Sponsored Content

|