The 3D Printing Adventure Continue...

This is by far the best looking 3D printed pen i've seen! How much does it weigh? Also how long did it take you to design? Are you designing for fun and to open source or to eventually sell?

Thanks! I haven't weighed it but it's not heavy, probably around 20g. "how long did it take to design?" good question, I started this project last December but didn't work on it constantly so it's hard to tell how long it took. "Are you designing for fun and to open source or to eventually sell?" I started it as a hobby but even hobby needs some support so I hope to get some revenue from it.

I can't believe I'm making fountain pens! pen.18111.com

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• richardandtracy

• Sammyo

• alc3261

All I can say is WOW!! Don't stop now, I think you are onto something.

Thank you for the kind words!

I am genuinely impressed!

I am designer in the automotive industry using 3D software and sometimes working on SLA prototype parts. This is the first time I think the idea of a 3D printed pen seems like something I would spend hard earned cash on. Congratulations.

Additionally, I typically syringe fill the converter and then dip only the nib to saturate the feed.

Thank you! It's a quite compliment from pro like you. Since you have all 3D resources within your reach, It is easy for you to make your own pen if you want, right? My only hope is appearance of the reasonable nib printing capable machine soon.

Thank you! It's a quite compliment from pro like you. Since you have all 3D resources within your reach, It is easy for you to make your own pen if you want, right? My only hope is appearance of the reasonable nib printing capable machine soon.

Haha, I wish :) I am employed by a big company, so no free time or access outside of work. Also all 3D printing is outsourced for prototypes only :(

I admire what you have achieved, good work :)

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

For the color matching, I was thinking in terms of mixing dye into the printing medium. Is that a possibility?

Really love the design and the look of the finish. Best 3D pen design I've seen. Keep going!!! :)

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

This is by far the best looking 3D printed pen i've seen! How much does it weigh? Also how long did it take you to design? Are you designing for fun and to open source or to eventually sell?

I'd buy one!!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

My Pen Wraps are for sale in my Etsy shop

For the color matching, I was thinking in terms of mixing dye into the printing medium. Is that a possibility?

Yes, it can be dyed. Here is the video I just made yesterday for the newly arrived prototype in yellow color. It is printed in white nylon plastic then dyed in yellow. it's done at Shapeways 3D printing service, I don't have 3D printing machine nor dye myself. There are available colors but the one I picked above material and color was the closest resemble of the stone. I'll further experiment with other options though.

Really love the design and the look of the finish. Best 3D pen design I've seen. Keep going!!! :)

Thank you!

I'd buy one!!

Thank you! I would love to make one for you. Please pm me if you really want one.

For years I've been thinking '3D Printing is nearly here..'

Got really interested when the RepRap project started, must be over 10 years ago now.

I think now it's safe to start to change the statement to '3D Printing is here, now what can we use it for?'

Smashing. Does feel as if you've achieved a breakthrough moment.

Sammyo:

Are you able to use your software for your own projects during lunch breaks or if you turn up early? That's the time I'm able to use my work copy of SolidWorks for personal projects. Due to taking the kids to school & their timings in the morning, I have 30 mins to do modelling most days. Failing that, try other modellers for home use - they tend not to be as good, but can work.

Regards,

Richard.

For years I've been thinking '3D Printing is nearly here..'

Got really interested when the RepRap project started, must be over 10 years ago now.

I think now it's safe to start to change the statement to '3D Printing is here, now what can we use it for?'

Smashing. Does feel as if you've achieved a breakthrough moment.

Thank you Richard, I never thought I could come to this point so rapidly. It's less than a year when I start this 3D adventure. Thanks to the resourceful internet, I was able to learn software operation quickly and apply to this project. I still don't know how to use many other interesting tools in software include UV mapping. I belive I can do more exiting things as I learn more. It will keep me busy for a while for sure. Stay tuned on the continuation of 3D adventure...

Edited by 18111

Sammyo:

Are you able to use your software for your own projects during lunch breaks or if you turn up early? That's the time I'm able to use my work copy of SolidWorks for personal projects. Due to taking the kids to school & their timings in the morning, I have 30 mins to do modelling most days. Failing that, try other modellers for home use - they tend not to be as good, but can work.

Hi Richard, unfortunately due to my position it makes it very hard. Whether I arrive early or late, I have a queue of people at my desk waiting for me to solve all of their issues... and I really wish I was exaggerating! I have often thought of getting a student edition of 3D software to play at home... after the little one goes to bed... and I catch up with my wife... and... etc... lol :)

Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!

This is an incredible and interesting looking pen. I would definitely will consider buying one.

Now.. I read most of the posts (sorry if I miss it)... how much would be the cost for something like this? I mean, the cost of production (materials and time.. not the 3D printer cost)

C.

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Great looks!

For the sealing: how about stuff that is used to coat miniatures or artwork, such as Minwax products for wood or Kylon type materials. What is the printed material ? PLA? Nylon? Solvent based solutions might ruin the nice texture (as I see it or imagine it), and if you put a finish or coating on only part of the pen, wouldn't it spoil the overall look? Maybe best to test on a small test print first ...

BTW did you ever consider using this 3D printed pen as sacrificial form in the making of lost wax metallic version of this beauty?

Ik ontken het grote belang van de computer niet, maar vind het van een stuitende domheid om iets wat al millennia zijn belang heeft bewezen daarom overboord te willen gooien (Ann De Craemer)

A truly great idea, well executed. Congratulations!

Than you for your kinds words!

waaaooow

Thank you!

CONGRATS !!!!!!!!!!

This is an incredible and interesting looking pen. I would definitely will consider buying one.

Now.. I read most of the posts (sorry if I miss it)... how much would be the cost for something like this? I mean, the cost of production (materials and time.. not the 3D printer cost)

C.

Thank you! I already have a couple inquiries for purchasing this prototype. I'm not planning for mass-production, rather printing on demand. It is woking fine as is but I'm still tweaking for improvement on each prototyping stage. The next prototype printing order will take place in about 2 weeks. Please pm me for the price if you are interested in purchasing the next prototype.

Great looks!

For the sealing: how about stuff that is used to coat miniatures or artwork, such as Minwax products for wood or Kylon type materials. What is the printed material ? PLA? Nylon? Solvent based solutions might ruin the nice texture (as I see it or imagine it), and if you put a finish or coating on only part of the pen, wouldn't it spoil the overall look? Maybe best to test on a small test print first ...

BTW did you ever consider using this 3D printed pen as sacrificial form in the making of lost wax metallic version of this beauty?

Thank you! I'm testing water based clear acrylic lacquer as a sealant. The printing material is Alumide (Nylon powder and Aluminum powder mix) printed at Shapeways. The Shapeways also has service for the lost wax casting in various metals but I belive the casting will reduce its size so some screws might not work properly. I might try it in the future though

This is absolutely fantastic. Thanks for sharing this wonderful and exciting work.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested in seeing that clip in action. As for the staining, I see that a character for each individual pen, making each one unique.