The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Remove Price "chalk Marks" From Snorkel

snorkel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WilsonLaidaw

WilsonLaidaw

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:44

I have recently re-acquired a Statesman Snorkel in pastel blue after a gap of over 50 years. My last one which was a present from my parents on getting a scholarship to senior school in Edinburgh, was used as a dart by the school bully. I had been looking for a good one with a broad nib for some time but at a reasonable price. My "new" one is in lovely condition, has just been serviced and has had so little use that it is still showing the sales price of 5 pounds 7 shillings and sixpence (including purchase tax). As the lettering is half worn, I would prefer to remove it completely (unless that is sacrilege in penworld). What is the best way to do this with zero damage risk to finish of pen. I had thought of brass polish but I am worried that I might leave a dull patch. 

Wilson

Snorkel.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:22

Looks like a sticker. 

#3 WilsonLaidaw

WilsonLaidaw

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:39

Looks like a sticker. 

No it is some sort of printed paint not a sticker or a transfer. 

#4 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 803 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 14:22

I haven't seen a chalk mark with the price in Pounds before.  That's pretty cool.  For that reason, if the pen were mine, I'd personally keep the chalkmark.  But that means I'd be leaving it in a showcase.  Since you're planning on using it, you'll find that the chalk mark will continue to rub off with use, so you might as well take it off now.

A sunshine cloth should take it off.  Heck, a regular piece of cotton flannel might take it, too.  It's not on there very well.

The collector formerly known as
RobertNFrappuls

#5 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 14:50

Many would consider it as sacrilege to remove such old and original lettering like that. It definitely increases it's sales value.

However, if it's for you and you aren't interested in selling then maybe a branded 'plastic polish' will do the job. In the UK they are usually sold for polishing plastic on cars: Auto Glym maybe or something on Amazon

If it's quite deep maybe you might need some 12,000 micromesh.

Edited by Chrissy, 01 April 2015 - 14:54.

#6 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 14:58

Actually, just handling it will remove it pretty promptly.  If you want to speed the process, apply a little watchmakers oil* to your fingers and give it a bit of a rub.

*which comes out of the glands located on human noses (true, despite the date)

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#7 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 15:00

Actually, just handling it will remove it pretty promptly.  If you want to speed the process, apply a little watchmakers oil* to your fingers and give it a bit of a rub.

*which comes out of the glands located on human noses (true, despite the date)

I think it's meant to contain squalene

#8 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 803 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 15:05

If you want the best pen polish out there, invest in "Microgloss" polish.  It's just one-micron abrasive particles suspended in water, so there's no residue or chemicals or unknowns that could affect the plastic later on.  Some people also recommend Simichrome, and I've used it before, but there are plenty of people with reservations about Simichrome as well.  Microgloss is certainly the better bet, though it is a little more expensive.

The collector formerly known as
RobertNFrappuls

#9 WilsonLaidaw

WilsonLaidaw

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2015 - 15:08

If you want the best pen polish out there, invest in "Microgloss" polish.  It's just one-micron abrasive particles suspended in water, so there's no residue or chemicals or unknowns that could affect the plastic later on.  Some people also recommend Simichrome, and I've used it before, but there are plenty of people with reservations about Simichrome as well.  Microgloss is certainly the better bet, though it is a little more expensive.

Brian, 

Many thanks for that suggestion. Some of my other pens could do with a polish up as well so I will search for some Microgloss. If the lettering had not been half rubbed off already, I might have kept it as a point of interest but as it is at the moment, it just looks scruffy rather than interesting. 

Wilson

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snorkel

Sponsored Content

|