Enough Interest In Mabie Todd, Swan Or Otherwise?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cob

• Cepasaccus

• Greenie

• Goudy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you are enjoying yourself I do not see how that can be construed as wasted time.

A friend of mine used to say:

"WWW = World Wide Waste of time."

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

your eight pages of contributions here and elsewhere are not wasted in the least...

you're building a fine history based foundation study, pleasantly benefiting all with current interest, and engaging newly interested ones too.

have faith, and be prepared to carry on. : )

your eight pages of contributions here and elsewhere are not wasted in the least...

you're building a fine history based foundation study, pleasantly benefiting all with current interest, and engaging newly interested ones too.

have faith, and be prepared to carry on. : )

Very nicely put; I am sure that others will agree that the fine old firm of Mabie, Todd & Co (and some time Bard!) deserves this attention.

By the way I love that avatar; can you tell me anything about it?

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

I can see only one thread and have no answer to your question, Cepasaccus.

Regarding the obstacles we face, wouldn't be easier to set up and run a cooperative Mabie Todd blog separately rather than waiting for someone to grant us some attention and space on the FPN? Personally, I visit three other forums and have multiple blogs on my reading list and adding another, more focused on what I am really interested in, would rather be a huge advantage.

Birchtine, I think there should be a dedicated space to Mabie Todd, but where? I have a Facebook site for the things I'm doing, but what about the person who just bought a Mabie Todd and wants it identified? How would they know to go to a blog? FPN is a perfect place for "help me identify my pen".

FP Geeks has a cool software feature on their board (although I don't frequent it too often) - users can set up "groups" inside the message board; Mabie Todd would be a perfect subject for such a thing. I don't think the FPN software has that feature.

that avatar; can you tell me anything about it?

Cob

Not surprised that a detail oriented M T & S collector would notice a photo from a collection that features 19th and early 20th century people wearing interesting garment details and accessories.

No relation, but I've become rather fond of her serene demeanor.

Edited by pen2paper

Cepasaccus - I also saw two threads with the same name if I go to the list of "my content". If I go directly to the forum, only the most updated thread is listed. My conclusion is that it is a computer glitch related to the "my content" feature.

Marc, I absolutely agree that the FPN is probably the best place to start looking for information and help or help with identification. The problem is that, unless the forum and the content is well managed, the same questions will pop up all over again.

I didn't realise that the FP Geeks has this feature. It is interesting, but over the last months there have been serious problems with the ownership and the site management, the future of the forum seems to be in question.

I suggested the blog form, because I can see how helpful and powerful tool it can be to keep things organised and focused. I dream of something similar to the Pelikan's Perch but for Mabie Todd pens. I know that the American branch pens are relatively well researched, but British and European history still suffers from gaps.

I am working on a small project concerning English MB pens from the 20s and 30s which apart from their history touches upon anthropology. When I'm ready, hopefully sometime next year, I'd like to start publish the findings, but the FPN seems too hard to navigate and lacks flexibility to adjust or update older posts.

Thread related PM to read please. Dashing to appointment, sorry to get your attention this way.

:)

A blog would be perfect for Cob to distribute his wizdom, but for multiple people to ask and write it isn't. Also for your MB project I am sure a blog would be the best, although editing blogs is normally not done. Perhaps a wiki would be better for you. At penexchange we have a wiki: http://www.penexchange.de/pen-wiki/index.php/Hauptseite . It is good for multiple people writing. It is editable. But still for asking the forum is better.

A blog would be perfect for Cob to distribute his wizdom...

Let's call it "Cob'z wizdom" then.

I'm sorry, I meant MT not MB.

Thanks for the penexchange link!

Hullo all, 'ere I be...

Very flattering all these mentions, but you know, Marc, Greenie, Cepasaccus and Goudy should probably be consulted first; I am perfectly sure that they are far more knowledgeable than I.

And look at the collections of pens they have!

Nevertheless I am always happy to stick my oar in if only to keep up Mabie Todd's profile around here.

Cob