The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Kobe Le Monet Violet

violet purple sailor kobe

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:46

This is a limited edition ink from Nagasawa Kobe, Monet Violet, to celebrate a Zurich Museum exhibition in Japan. One of the painting exhibited is a Monet's Water Lily Pond. Obviously the ink is violet, to replicate the colour of water lilies.

PACKAGING

This ink comes in a gorgeous box.

50375_z.jpg

I unfolded the box and scanned it (and joined the two parts with software):

50369_o.jpg

As you can see it's the box that attracts me and motivated my purchase.

And the bottle, very pretty as well:

50374_z.jpg

It comes with a piece of paper introducing the ink.

50370_z.jpg

SPLASH

Photo and scan. The scan is bluer than it actually is.

50371_o.jpg

SAMPLE

The colour, however, is not so special as the box. It's a moderately saturated violet. The shading is very nice. It doesn't sheen in normal writing (quite a letdown considering it's a Sailor). It's well behaved as other Sailors. In terms of water resistence, the darker part actually holds up quite well to water.

50373_o.jpg

COMPARISON

In case the handwriting is not easy to read, these are:

(left) Monet Violet, Iroshizuku Murasaki-shikibu, Sailor Kingdom Note Sasakia charonda, Private Reserve Tanzanite, Sailor Nioi-sumire.

(right) Diamine Pansy, R&K Solferino, R&K Magenta, R&K Cassia, Iroshizuku Yama-budo.

Monet Violet and Murasaki-shikibu are quite close in terms of saturation, MS being more red and MV more blue. The rest are more saturated. If you really like the colour of Monet Violet, I think you can mix Iroshizuku Murasaki-shikibu with Ajisai and get a similar colour. I might try that myself sometime. 

50372_o.jpg

CONCLUSION

Don't get me wrong. I do like this ink. I like the colour. It's quite beautiful. However it just lacks that little something special to be limited edition and to match the nice box. And normally I like more saturated inks.

I like this ink, a lot. Maybe I'll love it the more I use it. And the more I look at the box.  :D

Sponsored Content

#2 Intellidepth

Intellidepth

Curiouser and curiouser

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:54

Beautiful box, pretty ink. Thanks for taking the time to do the review and comparisons.

Wonder if it could handle a little dehydration and still work in a wet FP? (I haven't tried any Sailor inks yet so don't know what 'well behaved' really means.)

Edited by Intellidepth, 30 March 2015 - 19:49.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

#3 visvamitra

visvamitra

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 13:00

I dislike the color but the box looks nice and your review is excellent.

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 13:49

It's been available for quite some time now. I bought mine last year from Atsu.

You will find a series of these. There is also Van Gogh Blue that is a beautiful shade too.

#5 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 13:56

GREAT REVIEW!!!....Not crazy about the color....  wondering if you got Renoir Pink and VanGogh Cobalt... those look interesting..  :puddle:  :puddle:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#6 candide

candide

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 14:07

Thanks for the review. :) I have to agree that the colour is maybe a little plain/dull but I really like mine nonetheless. It's a delicate beauty. :D I bought mine because of Monet and in that I'm quite satisfied. It actually does make me think of Monet's Waterlilies so I feel it's a decent interpretation and deserving of the Monet name. XD

I probably like van Gogh Cobalt more, though your review has convinced me I need Yama-budo.

Edited by sakayume, 30 March 2015 - 14:07.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

#7 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 15:12

It's been available for quite some time now. I bought mine last year fro Atsu.

You will find a series of these. There is also Van Gogh Blue that is a beautiful shade too.

GREAT REVIEW!!!....Not crazy about the color....  wondering if you got Renoir Pink and VanGogh Cobalt... those look interesting..  :puddle:  :puddle:

C.

Well the Renoir Pink and Van Gogh Cobalt have sold out. I think I might have got the Van Gogh if it were possible. That one looks very nice. 

#8 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 15:14

I bought one of the first batch of Monet last year & I think mine appears more saturated than yours. Van Gogh Cobalt is even more saturated, perhaps more typical of Sailor inks. Of the Kobe LEs, I prefer Turner Brown.

Verba volant, scripta manent

#9 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 15:15

Beautiful box, pretty ink. Wonder if it could handle a little dehydration and still work in a wet FP? (I haven't tried any Sailor inks yet so don't know what 'well behaved' really means.)

I suppose so? Sailor inks generally flow well and don't cause any trouble. 

#10 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 15:17

I bought one of the first batch of Monet last year & I think mine appears more saturated than yours. Van Gogh Cobalt is even more saturated, perhaps more typical of Sailor inks. Of the Kobe LEs, I prefer Turner Brown.

It is possibly related to the pen and ink used as well. I used a vintage Waterman which gives a pale thin line but a very wet flex. 

#11 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 15:18

I dislike the color but the box looks nice and your review is excellent.

Thank you Vis! Along with this one I ordered a #49 Kitano Olive Green too. I guess that colour will please you more.  :)

#12 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 15:45

Turner Brown ??

A link please? (Or a pic)   :D

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

#13 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 15:50

Turner Brown ??

A link please? (Or a pic)   :D

It was the LE in 2013 I think. I can't post a pic as I am in Australia at the moment & my inks are at home in the UK :-(

Edit: Found this old link http://global.rakute...inalink-turner/

Edited by migo984, 30 March 2015 - 15:55.

#14 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 16:11

It was the LE in 2013 I think. I can't post a pic as I am in Australia at the moment & my inks are at home in the UK :-(

Edit: Found this old link http://global.rakute...inalink-turner/

Thanks SOOO much...     I love browns... I feel the need for this Brown...   :crybaby:  :crybaby:

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#15 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,765 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:10

Thanks SOOO much...     I love browns... I feel the need for this Brown...   :crybaby:  :crybaby:

If you can wait till I'm back in the UK in September, and re-united with all my inks, I'll happily send you a sample :-)

#16 Cyber6

Cyber6

Extremely AWESOME !!!

• 6,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:25

If you can wait till I'm back in the UK in September, and re-united with all my inks, I'll happily send you a sample :-)

I can wait.. I can wait...   :D   ... 

**** BauerInks.ca ****

#17 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:35

Thanks for the review.  The color of Monet Violet reminds of vintage Quink Violet (but it's hard to truly judge without having side by side exemplars).  It also seems similar in color to R&K Cassia from your comparison, but made a bit less saturated.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#18 webgeckos

webgeckos

The Goodest Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 20:39

I dislike purple ink but I was totally blown away from the beauty of this! Great review, ty.

#19 bstnnyc

bstnnyc

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2015 - 23:54

Thank you for doing this wonderful review! I was debating getting this ink because it's an LE, but I know I would not use the color much. I'm very happy that you reviewed it so I can have a taste of it through your writing samples, photos and beautiful splashes :)

#20 Lgsoltek

Lgsoltek

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:50

Thanks for the review.  The color of Monet Violet reminds of vintage Quink Violet (but it's hard to truly judge without having side by side exemplars).  It also seems similar in color to R&K Cassia from your comparison, but made a bit less saturated.
Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I think you're right, Ruth. It does look like an under saturated Cassia. I wonder if you can mix it with Noodler's White Whale or Blue Ghost to get this colour...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: violet, purple, sailor, kobe

Sponsored Content

|