The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inks For Esties?

esterbrook ink inksafety

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 19:33

Sort of. . .

:D :D :D :D :D

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Sponsored Content

#22 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 May 2015 - 19:40

There was a mantra repeated in my neighborhood growing up in the 70s -- "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."  Some say it's a crime to use certain inks in an Estie; others say it's ok if you are willing to do the time in repair if need be.

Is there a compiled list (however old) of what inks actually are usable in an Estie without (possible) damage to the pen?

If not, might we be able to compile such a list here, for a sticky in the forum?

Did you live in "Baretta's" Neighborhood? That was his motto, if I recall correctly?

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#23 SteveE

SteveE

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2015 - 14:40

Seriously, folks, I would bet that you could develop a list of available but problematic inks, but that list would be rather short.  Almost all fountain pen inks are perfectly suitable for use in Esterbrooks or any other fountain pens.  Some of the "bad" inks stain the pen - but some of us wouldn't notice another stain on an old pen anyway.  Some of the "bad" inks clog pens more easily, but a good flush usually cures that.  There are just a few that do things like turning sacs to mush, or forming precipitates that harden and are not removable.

The other thing to keep in mind, much like "doing the time" is that these pens are among the most repairable pens on the planet.  If your nib and feed are all mucked up, unscrew it and put in a spare (you have some, don't you?).  If the sac goes, replace it.

I'll get off my soap box now, as I fear that I'm sounding like the late Frank Dubiel (aka Cranky Frankie).  His opinion was that the only thing nearly sacred about a pen was keeping it working so its owner could continue to use it as a tool with which to write.

I don't worry that much about the effects of ink on my pens.  The pens are far more fun (for me) to use than to look at.

#24 delano

delano

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2015 - 16:42

Did you live in "Baretta's" Neighborhood? That was his motto, if I recall correctly?

Sort of. A great many of the people I knew growing up were later represented in composite form on the Sopranos. Maybe they repeated lines from the show -- I don't know. They did tend to do that.

#25 fireant

fireant

The Good Twin

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 May 2015 - 19:09

Having succumbed to the Esterbrook addiction, once you start matching inks to pens, you've thrown all caution to the wind.  You'll need a handyman's talents, or just simply a handyman.

lol glad I am not alone!

I finally decided blue with blue, red with red...etc.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: esterbrook, ink, inksafety

Sponsored Content

|