Asa Galactic Stylish Acrylic Translucent Demonstrator Pen

neotobeo

INTRODUCTION: I am a big fan of demonstrators - the ASA Galactic Stylish Acrylic Translucent Demonstrator Pen is a great addition to the collection and has immediately made its way into my daily carry rotation.

tumblr_nm035uwVbB1uran3io1_500h.jpg

1. Appearance & Design (10)Demonstrator with a ground glass texture that imparts a unique texture and appearance to the cap and barrel. I love watching the ink move within the barrel (Noodler's Black in this case). Overall the pen is cigar- shaped with the barrel tapering to a crystal clear end which refracts the light in a unique way. Overall a very cool pen.
  2. Construction & Quality (10) The pen feels substantial. The threads are buttery smooth. No obvious imperfections noted.
  3. Weight & Dimensions (10) Large pen (see picture comparing three different ASA pens (Galactic, Crystal LE, Maven), Franklin Christoph 02, Visconti HS Bronze, and Pelikan m1000). Nicely balanced with appropriate weight for long writing sessions. Great hand feel - larger hands.
  4. Nib & Performance (7)Upgraded to the German Nib #6 Medium ($8.00 option). Performance was acceptable. Wetness was 6/10. I chose to swap out the stock nib for a Twsbi 1.5mm stub - the feed does an excellent job keeping up with the demands of the stub and the ink capacity pairs beautifully with the stub.
  5. Filling System & Maintenance (7) - Eyedropper with huge capacity. Disassembly was simple allowing for quick and easy cleaning. Upon reassembly there are copious tight threads allowing for a tight ink-tight connection between section and barrel (silicone grease was applied for good measure). Initially experienced some leakage for ink between feed and section - this was addressed with strategically placed silicone grease without further leakage.
  6. Cost & Value (10) Obtained from ASA website. http://asapens.in/eshop/fountain-pen/asa-pens-india/asa-galactic-jumbo-acrylic-demonstrator-fountain-pen Easy shopping experience and fast free shipping worldwide. I paid $32.00 (+$8.00 for the nib - would not have this upgrade next time). Excellent value. Of interest, I have had far more people ask questions about the this pen than most of my far more expensive pens. This would make for an excellent gift with a bottle of ink
  7. Conclusion (Final score, 9) - Overall I am very pleased with this purchase and would purchase again. I would like to see a stub nib option and tighter tolerance between the section and the feed.

tumblr_nm035hlHCi1uran3io1_1280.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• neotobeo

• mcgeechan

• leeowens337

Excellent review and nice pics.

I have a ASA Galactic it is a wet smooth writer and looks stunning.

A very good pic of ASA Maven, I will be getting one very soon. What nib do you have in the ASA Maven?

Regards

Rakshit

Currently running the stock "Made In Germany" nib - with Noodler's Turquoise Eel. Perfect ink for this nib/feed. Works well on FP friendly paper and cheap copy paper alike.

tumblr_nm1ecoqYza1uran3io1_1280.jpg

Great review.

I love my Galactic. It's a bit fussy and only likes certain inks etc but a bit of silicon grease in the threads has quietened down the temper tantrums.

I had the same problem with feed/section tolerance and leaking. What did we do before silicone grease? :-)

Otherwise like the reviewer, I love the pen. Big but light, beautiful looks, and once tamed, a good writer if a bit pernickety about inks.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

It looks great. Haven't seen this pen before. Thank you for your comments in the review about its size. I really like the look of the etching on the barrel too. There's something about the way they have frosted this pen that catches my eye.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

I went to order this pen at lunch time (UK) today, it is out of stock, Damnation, I waited too long. *cries*

• 3 weeks later...

it arrived today - weeeheee, 1 week delivery India-UK is great. I found the pen a little dry using Diamine Tyrian Purple, but I have also found that ink dry in a couple of other pens so I think its down to the ink rather than the pen, giving it a whirl in work tomorrow.