Question Regarding Early M700 Toledo Nibs

jungkind

@Peine11 : could you show us some pictures of your pens ?

Sure. Although, to be honest I don't like flaunting them in public. Plus I worked hard for them for my personal enjoyment, so I'm not sure I want people to just right click and download all in one go. I just collect them and I don't sell pens. But if you insist perhaps via PM?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Peine11

• jungkind

• Xof72000

• Keyless Works

Sure. Although, to be honest I don't like flaunting them in public. Plus I worked hard for them for my personal enjoyment, so I'm not sure I want people to just right click and download all in one go. I just collect them and I don't sell pens. But if you insist perhaps via PM?

Hum ... I see ...

Seems really odd to me ...

Hum ... I see ...

Seems really odd to me ...

No? Okay. How is this relevant to answering the OP's question anyway? Not everyone's interested in selling you know. Most of us are actually interested in buying, including me. This, I'm simply looking for a numbered LE M700 with 18C bi-tone chevrons. If anyone has one, for sale or not, feel free to pm me as I don't usually frequent this board. Thanks.

No? Okay. How is this relevant to answering the OP's question anyway? Not everyone's interested in selling you know. Most of us are actually interested in buying, including me. This, I'm simply looking for a numbered LE M700 with 18C bi-tone chevrons. If anyone has one, for sale or not, feel free to pm me as I don't usually frequent this board. Thanks.

Very strange :unsure:

Peter

Indeed, ... very strange to read someone who assert things and don't proove them, that ask for pictures and who refuse to share some ...

It seem we have another "Brandon Cifani" guy here ...

As suggested here a side by side of some details of the three M700 Toledos

No, I personally do not see a big difference, but on the other hand I am not very good in appreciating those details. There are differences in the way the "cuts" are applied and are distributed, but almost always respecting the number of "cuts" applied for a certain detail (like feathers on the tail) and that could be characteristics of the different engravers.

In his tagged topic on the Toledo, The Penguin mentions the difference in detail between the vintage Toledos and the M Toledos. The article I mentioned and remember only vaguely had more details, for example the reduction of the number of "feathers" in a certain part from (for examples sake) 5 to 4 and details like that.

Thanks for the comparative pictures, jungkind, this is very instructive.

The feathers on the head on the main Pelikan seems different between the left model and the others.

Otherwise, knowing that Toledos are hand-engraved, it's not surprising the models are lightly differents.

Good observation, left one has 6 "cuts" going done much lower then the other two that have only 4 "cuts"

Easter time seems to be very quiet! Nobody left out there who could comments on the differences and how to identify an early M700?

Could offer as an incentive a picture of a BLUE M910 Toledo

Happy Easter

Edited by jungkind

Hi All,

Just a comment on these turning or filler knobs...

Blank knobs were used until stock was depleted, as were the W-Germany. You'll find a lot of variations.

Earliest M700's: blank knob, no silver mark and monotone nib. After this, you will find various combinations after style changes.

The "C" with rotated "T" after the serial number is the signature of the engraver (there were three originals). The same engraver would slightly vary his marks over time, and this was intentional. On the M900 Toledo, the number of wing feathers was changed over time...4, 5 and even 6 on a few.

Regards,

Pelikanyo Paul

"Today is, where your book begins...the rest is still unwritten"

-Natasha Bedingfield

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone, I am a new member from South Wales UK and have several Pelikan pens. Unfortunately, as I am coming up to 78 years of age, I will be selling them as none of my relatives are interested in pens. It is a great shame, but when I eventually go, there will be nobody that knows which models they are and how to sell them. My early Toledo M700 has never been used by me, and the previous owner also said that it was unused. It is the "W. Germany" one with plain gold nib. The number is 3/A30 (C with rotated T). It has the two chicks (engraved) on the cap. I have no idea of the age, but assume that the number is some indication. Is there a list somewhere that gives the ages of these pens ?

I also have an M650, a K650 and an M450 in black with vermeil caps, all unused. All my pens were bought because I just liked them. They have been displayed in a glass topped cabinet out of the bright lights. I do look at them from time to time then gently wipe them over and put them back.

I do have some that I use daily (at my desk) and these are all 400 series in the striated blue colour. M400, D400 (or 600), K400 and R400. These do have very slight signs of use.

I also have a Pelikan 360R Epoch in sapphire blue and two Pelikan P381 pens in Cirago Blue, one of which has been used. I don't like these two as whilst they are pretty they are not like the proper Pelikan pens.

I also have two Pelikan pens that have a ballpoint black, a ballpoint blue and a pencil 0.5mm in the same body. I don't like these either as they are fiddly to use.

I used to collect Conway Stewart pens but eventually sold all 300 (ish) on an internet auction site. I have actually kept three of the new Conway Stewart pens; A Dandy in Azure, a model 58 in Dartmoor and a Duro in sepia blue. A shame that Conway Stewart have now gone to the receivers. They are lovely pens that I remember back in the 1950's.

I have a few others including Sheaffers which I will have to get rid of too.

If I was younger and in better health, I would keep all my pens but I think that the time has now come to let them go to someone that will actually use them as they deserve to be used.

I hope to put them reluctantly on sale sometime in 2016 and hope they go to a good home.

Sorry about my tale of woe, but old age comes to us all eventually. It just happens to be my turn.

George

Hi everyone, I am a new member from South Wales UK and have several Pelikan pens. Unfortunately, as I am coming up to 78 years of age, I will be selling them as none of my relatives are interested in pens. It is a great shame, but when I eventually go, there will be nobody that knows which models they are and how to sell them. My early Toledo M700 has never been used by me, and the previous owner also said that it was unused. It is the "W. Germany" one with plain gold nib. The number is 3/A30 (C with rotated T). It has the two chicks (engraved) on the cap. I have no idea of the age, but assume that the number is some indication. Is there a list somewhere that gives the ages of these pens ?

I also have an M650, a K650 and an M450 in black with vermeil caps, all unused. All my pens were bought because I just liked them. They have been displayed in a glass topped cabinet out of the bright lights. I do look at them from time to time then gently wipe them over and put them back.

I do have some that I use daily (at my desk) and these are all 400 series in the striated blue colour. M400, D400 (or 600), K400 and R400. These do have very slight signs of use.

I also have a Pelikan 360R Epoch in sapphire blue and two Pelikan P381 pens in Cirago Blue, one of which has been used. I don't like these two as whilst they are pretty they are not like the proper Pelikan pens.

I also have two Pelikan pens that have a ballpoint black, a ballpoint blue and a pencil 0.5mm in the same body. I don't like these either as they are fiddly to use.

I used to collect Conway Stewart pens but eventually sold all 300 (ish) on an internet auction site. I have actually kept three of the new Conway Stewart pens; A Dandy in Azure, a model 58 in Dartmoor and a Duro in sepia blue. A shame that Conway Stewart have now gone to the receivers. They are lovely pens that I remember back in the 1950's.

I have a few others including Sheaffers which I will have to get rid of too.

If I was younger and in better health, I would keep all my pens but I think that the time has now come to let them go to someone that will actually use them as they deserve to be used.

I hope to put them reluctantly on sale sometime in 2016 and hope they go to a good home.

Sorry about my tale of woe, but old age comes to us all eventually. It just happens to be my turn.

George

Some extra information.

I have been looking at the box that belongs to my M700 Toledo and found that I bought it on an auction site in August 2004. The description said "Pelikan Toledo limited edition fountain pen with hand crafted golf barrel (I think it meant gold barrel) sleeve and original wooden presentation box. Condition is as new Circa 1985 and never used". As mentioned earlier, I also have never used it.

The wooden box is in perfect condition. However the shiny black cardboard box that the wooden one fits into, has a few defects. There is a tear where the lid tongue fits into, plus a few wrinkles in the shiny black cardboard. I could glue the tear but that might make it look worse. It's almost as though it was torn when someone opened the cardboard box in a hurry. It wasn't me that did it.

Also, I do not have the instructions or the guarantee papers. They never came with the pen and I didn't think to ask the seller about them. After all this time, I think they will have been lost or thrown out.

The nib is 18 carat and is a medium. There is a very small oval cartouche stamped onto the base of the nib with what looks like a letter N plus either a letter N or a Z. My old eyes, even with a magnifying glass can't read them easily.

Can anyone please help me in finding out more about the pen as I intend to sell it within the next few weeks. I would like to put as much information in the description when I sell it.

Many thanks.

yikes this editor is having a crazy day.

Edited by GordonOZ

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

oops old post - removing the response....

Nature is the one song of praise that never stops singing. - Richard Rohr

Poets don't draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently. - Jean Cocteau

Ο Θεός μ 'αγαπάς

Old age, yep, every time I look up, it gets nearer. :yikes: I don't have anyone to leave my pens too either. :(

I have to start shedding pens myself....and get a few more of the chosen few. :yikes:

If those short guys had had a good fountain pen instead of a ring, none of that would have happened. :huh: They collected the wrong thing. :D

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Can anyone please help me in finding out more about the pen as I intend to sell it within the next few weeks. I would like to put as much information in the description when I sell it.

Many thanks.

I can't be much help in the identification/information department. A request, rather: when you do decide to sell your Toledo (and others), please let us know on this thread.

I live in the UK. South Wales, near Swansea.

I don't know of any Pelikan users or collectors near here.

There are probably pen shows, collectors and dealers in London, but we don't go there now as it would probably mean an overnight stay. That means that a cheap-day return on the train would not be possible. Rail fares are very expensive too.

At the moment, I am accumulating more information about the pens that I will be selling, prior to putting them on a certain auction site. I will also have to research secure insured postal charges.

I will put a list on here as soon as I am actually ready to sell. Apart from the Pelikans, there are also three gorgeous modern Conway Stewarts and a couple of Sheaffers.

George