Camlin Royal Blue Ink | Colour Changed.

cjpandya

Here you go.

I tried removing the dried up ink there after soaking the nib in water for several hours and using a toothbrush, but to no avail.

http://i60.tinypic.com/ivi9l4.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/2a8nwxi.jpg

Wow. This is just bizarre. Seeing such a thing for the fisrt time. I have cleaned a few 30 year old pens from my grandfather with dried up ink and haven't encountered such a damage to any of the nibs. Maybe this is a case of a bad nib? You said you bought the pen brand new and inked it up with the ink, so thats possible. Because to eat through stainless steel so quickly and heavily it may require quite strong acidic/corrosive properties. As in if the ink was manufactured by mixing dye and acid! And i don't think thats even possible. Lol. Have you tried the ink in some other pens? Maybe something cheaper?

Edited by cjpandya

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cjpandya

• Tresconik

• New_Falcon

• rkpai

I actually like it better than bril blue

I too like the camlin. Very reliable and vibrant. Just wanted to ask though, is there any way of getting the bril inks in the northern part of the country? Just want to try it out of curiosity.

I don't like Quink in fine nibbed pens. It's kept specifically for the broad nib, since that nib puts down a lot of ink so it looks more saturated. Also, a colour that isn't that bright I find, is less straining on the eyes after a while and so easier to study from :)

"... is less straining on the eyes after a while and so easier to study from" . This is very true.

Have you tried Bril Royal Blue @Tresconik?

Thanks

Rakshit

What is this, I don't even...

That must have taken some serious beating.

Maybe you got a bad batch of ink?

It is hard to imagine that Camlin would let something like this get through their QA.

Rakshit

It is a unique case isn't it? Intriguing. But honestly i feel the culprit here isn't the ink. The quality of the nib maybe at fault here. Just saying. Because such a stong corrosive property would lead me to believe that the ink cannot be so acidic.Even for a bad batch, it would require literally some acid to have fallen into the ink.

Wow. This is just bizarre. Seeing such a thing for the fisrt time. I have cleaned a few 30 year old pens from my grandfather with dried up ink and haven't encountered such a damage to any of the nibs. Maybe this is a case of a bad nib? You said you bought the pen brand new and inked it up with the ink, so thats possible. Because to eat through stainless steel so quickly and heavily it may require quite strong acidic/corrosive properties. As in if the ink was manufactured by mixing dye and acid! And i don't think thats even possible. Lol. Have you tried the ink in some other pens? Maybe something cheaper?

Yes, it was horrifying to see lol.

I did suspect the nib since I haven't seen it in any other pens, but now I'm reluctant to use it in other pens.

Even if I got a bad batch, I am starting to imagine the usual batches may be corrosive over a long period of time. I use permanent black from Camlin now, but I don't keep it in my pens for very long.

I shall wait for a while to see if this nib corrosion problem arises again before I start to use the blue ink regularly once more.

"... is less straining on the eyes after a while and so easier to study from" . This is very true.

Have you tried Bril Royal Blue @Tresconik?

Thanks

Rakshit

Nope, I've not had the chance to do so, which is why I'm hoping the group buy comes through

@Tresconik

I make technical notes which I will be revisiting a few years from now.

Since you take notes for study, I would imagine that you would not want the ink to fade over a period of time, so given that, would you recommend Camlin Black?

I have Camlin & Bril Black, but they are, at best, a darker shade of grey. So far I haven't used them for any note taking.

Thanks

Rakshit

@Tresconik

I make technical notes which I will be revisiting a few years from now.

Since you take notes for study, I would imagine that you would not want the ink to fade over a period of time, so given that, would you recommend Camlin Black?

I have Camlin & Bril Black, but they are, at best, a darker shade of grey. So far I haven't used them for any note taking.

Thanks

Rakshit

Pelikan black was a great option until they increased the price.

I don't expect the colour to fade, considering Camlin say it's permanent. I used Camlin black in my exams as well.

I am now using Camlin black in my Camlin SD which has a wet fine nib. It looks more grey than black now.

I noticed Quink black starts to look brown after it dries, but maybe it was because my pen was dry and the nib was a little broad, so the saturation of the ink was low.

• 8 months later...

I miss the old formulation, my last bottle of old formulation was consumed a few days back. I bought the new bottle and it has shifted towards a bright (Bay state blueish hue.) I know a lot many people will like it, but I was really a fan of the old muted darker blue, with an occasional sheen smiling on you...

Regards,

Pratik

• 4 months later...

Old Camlin Royal Blue - Well saturated, deep colour, flow was consistent and found it to be perfectly viscous.

New Camlin Royal Blue - Too bright light colour, very very very watery, feels like a diluted ink and less saturated.

Wonder if they are adding more water to make more volume of ink (maybe saving money on making ink- more quantity than quality)

Dislike this change in colour. Never going to use it again. As of now using Quink which fades very soon.

Ordered Bril Royal Blue online. Will review it once i have used it for a week or two.

Request share your experience on the new ink.

Old Camlin Royal Blue - Well saturated, deep colour, flow was consistent and found it to be perfectly viscous.

New Camlin Royal Blue - Too bright light colour, very very very watery, feels like a diluted ink and less saturated.

Wonder if they are adding more water to make more volume of ink (maybe saving money on making ink- more quantity than quality)

Dislike this change in colour. Never going to use it again. As of now using Quink which fades very soon.

Ordered Bril Royal Blue online. Will review it once i have used it for a week or two.

Better to go for Daytone inks especially Blue-black which has a nice shade of blue and is water resistant and fade proof. Besides it won't burn hole in your pocket. It's available online on Snapdeal or Amazon but in bulk quantity as 500ml X 2 or 60ml X 15

Same experience here. I also stopped using it.

"Friendship is the purest love. It is the highest form of Love where nothing is asked for, no condition, where one simply enjoys giving.”
- Osho

• 3 weeks later...

Better to go for Daytone inks especially Blue-black which has a nice shade of blue and is water resistant and fade proof. Besides it won't burn hole in your pocket. It's available online on Snapdeal or Amazon but in bulk quantity as 500ml X 2 or 60ml X 15

Thanx Prashant.

Ordered the same, however the courier company they send it does not deliver to my location. Had numerous phone conversations with Daytone Co.

Told them the alternative couriers which do deliver but they would not :(

I had ordered the Daytone BluBlack, Royal Blue and Black.

Alas !!! have got Bril now in bulk quantiy. So far the consistance of Bril Royal Blue is far better than Camlin. The colour is soothing, not very saturated like the Daytone reviews but sure its way better than it.

• 1 year later...

Those in-house nibs from Airmail are notorious anyway for the attention that they often need to make them write properly. It would not be surprising that they were also made from inferior steel or badly plated. Even so, the state of that nib is quite shocking. Does it still write acceptably?

It is my understanding that electro-plating a steel nib is in order to reduce nib corrosion as well as to look better! One of the reasons why dip pen nibs were sold by the box of 100 as they were usually plain steel.