Montblanc Princesse Grace De Monaco – A Subjective Review

VivienR

Wow, what a pretty pen! It's of course too feminine for me, but I can surely appreciate the look.

About your thoughts on cartridges and converters: did you try a Montblanc converter? My Noblesse came with one and it just works well.

I didn't, but if the converter's length is same or shorter than an international than it have some chance. Although I have cheap Kaigelu converter, didn't tried either, even theoretically it can work (link to comment). A long international cartridge can hold at least twice as much ink, so for me it even more convenient to refill those with syringe. Especially because the M nib seems dinking the Sannomiya Panse, like a thirsty horse.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VivienR

• Effin1

• Venemo

• Intellidepth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't, but if the converter's length is same or shorter than an international than it have some chance. Although I have cheap Kaigelu converter, didn't tried either, even theoretically it can work (link to comment). A long international cartridge can hold at least twice as much ink, so for me it even more convenient to refill those with syringe. Especially because the M nib seems dinking the Sannomiya Panse, like a thirsty horse.

I think it has a similar length as your long cartridges, but I'll post more details once I get back to Budapest. By the way, I've just noticed that you are from Hungary too. :)

This is how it looks like:

attachicon.gif20151010_001.jpg

The size is similar to your long cartridge.

Thank you! Indeed is, looks suspiciously same size, although it can hold less ink than a long cartridge. Maybe will try it, will think about it.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I really liked your review. I have always been drawn to the Montblanc diva pens (I think they call them Muses Edition now) like the Greta Garbo and the Princesse Grace. I kind of wish I got the Greta Garbo when I could. I happened to have the opportunity to look at the Princesse Grace, and I agree with you that the resin is interesting in different lighting conditions. At my desk with the lights, it looked somewhat brown, but once you have natural light, it does look as it is supposed to. The person who owned it said that for the first few months she didn't realise that it came with a black cartridge until one day when she refilling the pen and happened to shake the barrel and the cartridge came loose. When I was looking at it, I found that you could insert a Schmidt K5 converter into the barrel, but I didn't want to pull out the cartridge, and even if I did, I wouldn't want to try screwing the grip section on with the converter installed. Because of this, I can't say whether the converter fits or not. My guess would be no due to what the person who owned it told me about ink cartridges. She told me that she had tried Pelikan cartridges and they fit, but regular international cartridges wouldn't fit because they would get hung up on the step on the cartridge. The Montblanc cartridge have a longer narrow stepped section as you can see in this photo. From top to bottom are a regular international cartridge, a Pelikan cartridge, a Montblanc Lavender Purple cartridge, and a Waterman cartridge. Because of this, I would assume that the Schmidt K5 converter probably wouldn't fit in the grip section due to the step.

9263256869_1d73a5b1e2_o.jpg

I do recall that Montblanc had trouble with the nib trim ring on their 144 corroding from exposure to ink, so I wouldn't want to chance dipping the metal grip section of the pen in an ink bottle. The person who owned the Princesse Grace said she refilled cartridges and that was working out fine for her.

Overall though, I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the pen. The grip section screwing into the barrel was so smooth. So was the cap. I didn't see any mould lines anywhere. One thing I remember the person who owned the pen saying was that when she took the black cartridge out, the balance of the pen changed a little, and the pen became more comfortable for her. From my recollection, the end of the pen was rather heavy, and I suppose if you took the cartridge out, the balance point of the pen would shift forward somewhat. I know personally for me, it felt quite good, but the balance point of the pen was very very close to the web between my thumb and pointer finger. If it were any more rearward, it would probably have not been very comfortable. Her hands looked to be around the same size as mine, so I wouldn't be surprised if that was what she was talking about. Another interesting thing was that it seems to me that Montblanc, while they like to use rose gold plating on some nibs to colour them, actually used a different champagne coloured gold alloy for the nib of the pen instead of plating it. I had a good look at the nib of the pen, and it certainly seemed that way. Overall, it was quite a nice pen. I think I prefer the purple version to the ivory one personally, but the ivory one looks quite nice too.

The only bad thing about these pens necessarily is the cost. They are expensive.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Hi Dillo,

Yes, your friend probably are right. Its perfectly working with Pelikan cartridges even with the long ones, as well with its own Montblanc cartridge. I never tired other ones. Recently brought a Montblanc converter, but that's not working, same with all international converters I tired. The only converter which is working is the cheap Kaigelu converter. Those are slimmer, so they can fit. Any way, I fill empty cartridges with syringe and its working well. Will not pursuit the idea of getting a converter any more.

Yes this pen has a definite weight, but yes its definitely beautiful.

Hi, Vivien,

Yes, it's certainly a pen with some weight. It didn't seem too bad though when I picked it up, but I was curious and had to weigh it. I seem to recall that it weighed around 22 grams with one cartridge installed which is around the same weight as a Pilot Capless Decimo or an unposted Nakaya in the portable size. I think most of the impression of the weight may have something to do with the weight distribution of the pen because the end of the pen was quite heavy from what I recall. I can't of course say much of the impressions of people who have larger hands than me or the person who owns the Princesse Grace. I might have to ask to pick it up again and see. I know the person who owns it uses it a lot.

In any case, it's certainly a pen that makes a statement. Very beautiful and unique.

Dillon

Edited by Dillo

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

• 3 months later...

I saw the white one, but I think it isn't the best pair for the purple pen. Will get something for her.

I'm a very curious if you ever found a suitable case for this pen?

Thank you for this comprehensive review. This wand-like shape works well for many of these Montblanc pens celebrating people like Princess Grace and Marlene Dietrich. The shape also looks great on the Waterman Serenité.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/210527-montblanc-marlene-dietrich-1901-com-edition/

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Thank you for this comprehensive review. This wand-like shape works well for many of these Montblanc pens celebrating people like Princess Grace and Marlene Dietrich. The shape also looks great on the Waterman Serenité.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/210527-montblanc-marlene-dietrich-1901-com-edition/

Agreed, Dietrich and Serenité looks great as well.

• 1 month later...

Great review, thanks.

I'm on the hunt for a great purple pen, and this pen is simply gorgeous. I love purple, lavender, purple-black, amethyst and so on (and on).

I would pick it up in a second, but well, I'm a guy and this one seems truly and completely to be made for a woman (and has captured at least some of the timeless grace of Kelly herself I think).

Looks like you've had it for a while. Just wondering about how the pen writes. Are you happy with the nib?

Great review, thanks.

I'm on the hunt for a great purple pen, and this pen is simply gorgeous. I love purple, lavender, purple-black, amethyst and so on (and on).

I would pick it up in a second, but well, I'm a guy and this one seems truly and completely to be made for a woman (and has captured at least some of the timeless grace of Kelly herself I think).

Looks like you've had it for a while. Just wondering about how the pen writes. Are you happy with the nib?

The pen writes really smoothly with its M nib, never experienced any starting problem. Yes, I'm happy with the nib, its beautiful and performs well. Used only with few inks: Diamine Imperial Purple, Sailor Kobe Sannomiya Panse, Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst and Violet from the 4001 series. With those inks it performed well.

Its a really feminine pen for sure.

I stumbled across this review before I actually registered for the sight and just wanted to say that your pen is glorious! I've been eyeing this one myself and may just have to pull the trigger. Hopefully we are twins soon lol