Fp-Friendly Paper In India

vig2432

I am asking Indian and other FPNers on their opinions on Fp friendly paper in India. I generally use 75 gsm TNPL A4 copier paper and 70 gsm classmate notebooks. They are ok for EF/F(western) nibs with dry inks. Once, I use some wet inks, i get feathering and bleedthrough. So, in your opinion which is the best fp friendly paper. Is ledger paper ok and what should be the minimum gsm for it to be fp friendly(like should be more than 80 gsm )

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mhguda

• vig2432

• hari317

• Sudhir

Have you tried Navneet notebooks? I think their gsm weight is the same as Classmate, but somehow their paper is slightly better. Then again, my experience is limited to F/EF nibs, although I've tried a range of inks and not seen feathering or bleedthrough, and not much showthrough either. But that is about the limit of my knowledge of Indian paper, although I'm trying to learn more...

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Have you tried Navneet notebooks? I think their gsm weight is the same as Classmate, but somehow their paper is slightly better. Then again, my experience is limited to F/EF nibs, although I've tried a range of inks and not seen feathering or bleedthrough, and not much showthrough either. But that is about the limit of my knowledge of Indian paper, although I'm trying to learn more...

Thanx. will try and I m curious about what inks you tried because I get feathering when i use diamine inks in classmate notebooks

Hi,

I tend to dilute or mix my Diamines with for example Quink. I've used Quink blue (NOT the Washable) with good results, also Bril royal blue, and many others, often mixed. Some Diamines do feather or bleed, although the pen also has an influence, I find.

So maybe if you watered your featherers down a little?

If you are willing to spend a bit more, then Matrix (the higher GSM - 80 and above) should be fine. But I have found the quality of Matrix paper to be a bit inconsistent.

By far, the best Indian FP paper I have found is Nightingale. Good quality and quite consistent. I use this for regular journaling.

As far as inks go, both Matrix and Nightingale should work with most blues and blacks we normally find in India - Camlin, Chelpark, Bril, Quink, etc. Yeah, and Diamine and Private Reserve too. The other colours may be a bit tricky.

I find Bril green to be the most aggressive Indian ink, so this one (along with Noodler's BayState Blue) is my benchmark test for FP-friendliness of paper. Very few Indian papers have stood up to this test and most either feather or bleed or both.

Do share if you've had any experience with any other paper - I would love to try some others. My experience has been pretty much trial and error so far and also limited to availability.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with any brands mentioned, just my personal experience and opinion. YMMV.

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

If you are willing to spend a bit more, then Matrix (the higher GSM - 80 and above) should be fine. But I have found the quality of Matrix paper to be a bit inconsistent.

By far, the best Indian FP paper I have found is Nightingale. Good quality and quite consistent. I use this for regular journaling.

As far as inks go, both Matrix and Nightingale should work with most blues and blacks we normally find in India - Camlin, Chelpark, Bril, Quink, etc. Yeah, and Diamine and Private Reserve too. The other colours may be a bit tricky.

I find Bril green to be the most aggressive Indian ink, so this one (along with Noodler's BayState Blue) is my benchmark test for FP-friendliness of paper. Very few Indian papers have stood up to this test and most either feather or bleed or both.

Do share if you've had any experience with any other paper - I would love to try some others. My experience has been pretty much trial and error so far and also limited to availability.

Disclaimer: No affiliation with any brands mentioned, just my personal experience and opinion. YMMV.

True that for bril green. I was looking at http://www.snapdeal.com/product/bilt-matrix-ledger-paper-90/832479064 and asking if people had any experience with it

Bilt Ledger paper >=80gsm is very FP friendly, IME. It is my fav paper after BILT Royal executive bond 100gsm.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Bilt Ledger paper >=80gsm is very FP friendly, IME. It is my fav paper after BILT Royal executive bond 100gsm.

Thanx. I am intersted in trying out some Western M/B nibs. So, in your opinions these ledger paper is Fp friendly even with moderately wet inks

Thanx. I am intersted in trying out some Western M/B nibs. So, in your opinions these ledger paper is Fp friendly even with moderately wet inks

Yes, I routinely use BBB and Sailor cross point nibs on the ledger paper. Now I don't use fancy boutique brand inks, I use inks only from standard established pen manufacturing companies and from established Indian ink companies.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Yes, I routinely use BBB and Sailor cross point nibs on the ledger paper. Now I don't use fancy boutique brand inks, I use inks only from standard established pen manufacturing companies and from established Indian ink companies.

Thanx again. I was referring to some diamine and waterman inks

I have very little experience with Diamine(have only tried some 5-6 shades), Waterman's should play well with the paper.

• 3 months later...

I have just ordered a Fabriano Ecoqua A4 paper (85 GSM) via flipkart. I shall update with my experience with this once it is delivered.

I shall also give the Bilt Ledger paper a try. Thanks hari317 in advance for your suggestion.

Thanks,

Aniruddha

After trying so many papers like ITC Classmate, Bilt Matrix regular, MTV, I would say I have found the perfect paper for my taste.

The Fabriano Ecoqua 85 GSM paper was delivered to me on 22/07/2015. Paper is dotted (not ruled) and off-white coloured and feels better than executive bond papers. Price is 345/- for 140 sheets.

I have tried followings:

1. Pilot 'F' nib with Pilot Namiki cartridge Black-noir ink

2. Sheaffer 300 M nib with Sheaffer Skrip Red

3. Lamy Safari M nib with Parker Quink Black

4. Pierre Cardin Chris with B nib with Private Reserve Tanzanite blue ink (with fair amount of flex with it) - drying time 10 min

I would say there is no feathering or bleeding in the paper for any of the above.

Thanks,

Aniruddha

• 5 weeks later...

After trying so many papers like ITC Classmate, Bilt Matrix regular, MTV, I would say I have found the perfect paper for my taste.

The Fabriano Ecoqua 85 GSM paper was delivered to me on 22/07/2015. Paper is dotted (not ruled) and off-white coloured and feels better than executive bond papers. Price is 345/- for 140 sheets.

I have tried followings:

1. Pilot 'F' nib with Pilot Namiki cartridge Black-noir ink

2. Sheaffer 300 M nib with Sheaffer Skrip Red

3. Lamy Safari M nib with Parker Quink Black

4. Pierre Cardin Chris with B nib with Private Reserve Tanzanite blue ink (with fair amount of flex with it) - drying time 10 min

I would say there is no feathering or bleeding in the paper for any of the above.

Thanks,

Aniruddha

Hi Aniruddha

That is nice to hear. Where can one buy Fabriano Ecoqua 85 GSM paper?

Cheers!

Sudhir

Fountain pen geek, bibliophile, aspiring audiophile.

Love Single Malt, Coffee, Beer.

Corporate slave by day.

Pursuing Inner Peace.

Slytherin, INTJ.

Follow me on Instagram @thepenperson

Follow me on Twitter @thepenperson

I think I am going to order 5000 sheets of tomoe River paper and get the binding done locally. It will be a lot cheaper than Fabriano paper that you bought per 100 sheets even with the binding done.

Regards

Dhruv

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Aniruddha

That is nice to hear. Where can one buy Fabriano Ecoqua 85 GSM paper?

Cheers!

Sudhir

Hello Sudhir,

I got it from Flipkart.

I think I am going to order 5000 sheets of tomoe River paper and get the binding done locally. It will be a lot cheaper than Fabriano paper that you bought per 100 sheets even with the binding done.

Regards

Dhruv

Hi Dhruv,

Where would you buy Tomoe River paper from? It seems difficult to get Tomoe River paper in India. Atleast I could not find any in Indian e-commerce websites.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a beginner so pray thee have patience! Does this indian paper have a generic name other than “indian paper”: what do i ask for when i walk into a store (in NY City); what is “indian paper” usually used for?

You'd look for notebooks, composition books and the like, and check if it was "Made in India"...

There is also filler paper, that goes in three ring binders and such...

It is better to check yourself, these are the details that shop attendants don't usually pay attention to, but you can easily do yourself.

You'd look for notebooks, composition books and the like, and check if it was "Made in India"...

There is also filler paper, that goes in three ring binders and such...

It is better to check yourself, these are the details that shop attendants don't usually pay attention to, but you can easily do yourself.

I did indeed find “Made in India” notebooks and filler paper in one of the many “99¢” stores in New York City. I have not tested my fp on “indian paper” because I haven't yet purchased an fp!