• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• amarjit

• mehandiratta

• gopool

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fountain pens require pure silicone grease. Here in the US, SCUBA shops are the usual preferred vendor, because neither automotive nor plumbing greases are typically suitable.

http://www.gouletpens.com/gpc-siliconegrease/p/GPC-SiliconeGrease

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

• 1 month later...

This method by Hari works well for new pens, but what if your pen is already inked and you want to use a different ink. How do you remove ink from the feed and nib without disassembly? Do you just prime with water until it runs clear?

I use the famous ear syringe a couple of times. Quicker than priming.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

...but what if your pen is already inked and you want to use a different ink. How do you remove ink from the feed and nib without disassembly? Do you just prime with water until it runs clear?

Priming is to start a dry feed. You are asking about flushing a pen. My technique is to simply rinse the section and barrel under a faucet till the water runs clear. HTH

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I use the famous ear syringe a couple of times. Quicker than priming.

^^^This.

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I applied tephlon tape instead of silicon grease on my two ASA Athlete.

There was leakage between section and the barrel of both pens.

Silgrease does not work for me. But now is burping. No luck with ED.

Edited by zdeveric

• 4 months later...

Thank you for this very useful thread and everyone's posts. So much useful information here for knowing how to work with an eyedropper as well as information on sources.

Please keep posting as the Ranga 8 group buy is coming through and eyedropper is one of the options. This will be my first Indian eyedropper and I am happily anticipating the arrival of the pen. This post will be my 'go-to' post when the pen arrives.

Regards,

AD

Using a Sheaffer No Nonsense feeder prevents burping on all Indian eyedropper pens I've used. The simple ebonite feeds that come with these pens work fine in India and the Caribbean, but do not work in regions with large changes in temperature irrespective of the ink level in the pen.

Using a Sheaffer No Nonsense feeder prevents burping on all Indian eyedropper pens I've used. The simple ebonite feeds that come with these pens work fine in India and the Caribbean, but do not work in regions with large changes in temperature irrespective of the ink level in the pen.

guide me to the link for purchasing feeds...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

guide me to the link for purchasing feeds...

Unfortunately, one cannot purchase a loose/replacement NN feed. There are two primary sources of NN feeds that I know of and you will have to "sacrifice" the nib unit to get the feed out.

The first place is get a NN feed is from a Sheaffer calligraphy set. These sets cost about $10 and are available all over the internet. The sets come with 1x Sheaffer Viewpoint pen (the modern version of the No Nonsense) and about 3x interchangeable nibs.

The second place to get the feeds and my preferred way is to buy cheap used Sheaffer No Nonsense calligraphy sets from eBay. I got lucky last week and found an auction for 36 nib units without any pens. I won the auction for $34 and now have a feed source for the foreseeable future.

In both cases above use a pliers to pull the steel nib out then the feed will come right out.

Disassembled nib units

post-124844-0-38549300-1464613470_thumb.jpg

Ranga bamboo with Sheaffer NN feeder

post-124844-0-97541100-1464613437_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just took possession of a Wality 71 JT and after replace the ebonite feed with a Sheaffer NN feed I noticed that the nib/feed was loose in the section. For some reason, the hole in the section where the nib and feed go are larger than my other ED pens from India. To fix that problem I used Teflon/plumber's take to ensure a tight fit and no leaks.

Before

post-124844-0-47006200-1465692442_thumb.jpg

Cut a piece of Teflon tape a few inches long. Depends on how loose the nib/feed are.

post-124844-0-85236400-1465692467_thumb.jpg

Wrap the Teflon tape around top of nib and feed

post-124844-0-11604500-1465692524_thumb.jpg

Insert nib/feed into section and screw into the barrel

post-124844-0-52805600-1465692598_thumb.jpg

Top view

post-124844-0-14270000-1465692625_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the joys of fixing your pens with teflon tape! But sometimes I've found this backfires. I had one of my Indian eyedroppers fixed just like this one, and some months later it started to falter: ink flow would dry up and I found a mess of ink in the teflon tape. I ended up removing it and pushing the nib and feed assembly farther in. In my case, that worked.

• 6 months later...

Could this be pinned, please, mods?

Many thanks, Hari, really useful.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

So using silicone grease from ebay no good or from plumbing store? I am not going to order from Goulet as the shipping too expensive?

I bought a little tin from ebay: says for sealing o rings. How do you know it is pure?

I got some from a dive shop - they need good airtight seals on their equipment!

I have some now anyway Mods this thread is essential reading for people new to eyedroppers. Please pin and thanks to the OP for some great advice!

• 5 months later...

Help! I now have an eyedropper I need to prime but can't see the original instructions - it says Photobucket needs updating?

Any way of restoring this advice again, please, Hari or mods???

Many thanks!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Help! I now have an eyedropper I need to prime but can't see the original instructions - it says Photobucket needs updating?

Any way of restoring this advice again, please, Hari or mods???

Many thanks!

Checkout this video from Kevin at Fountain Pen Revolution.