Filling Instructions For Indian Eye Dropper Filled Pens

hari317

I first wrote this in July 2008. I recently updated it. I hope it is useful.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t543/hari_317/Wality200/The%20following%20procedure%20for%20filling%20and%20priming%20an%20Indian%20Dropper%20filled%20pen%20may%20be%20helpful.png

Regards

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• amarjit

• mehandiratta

• amondalju

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very useful info...this will be helpful for the excellent eyedropper pens in offering.. All users will benefit

I first wrote this in July 2008. I recently updated it. I hope it is useful.

http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t543/hari_317/Wality200/The%20following%20procedure%20for%20filling%20and%20priming%20an%20Indian%20Dropper%20filled%20pen%20may%20be%20helpful.png

Regards

Hari

Thanks for the share

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Echoing the thanks, Hari. I have one Indian eyedropped, with one more on the way, and others planned in the future :D

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

Thank you. I am glad this is useful. How to properly operate a ED pen is a common question on the mind of most, so I decided to make these available as an image for easy and quick reference. Indian pens forum can also be called the dropper fill pens forum after all. :)

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

A very useful Information,

Also i would like to add that apply silicon grease in a legitimate amount so that it does not gets inside the bore of the section(from the threading side) wherein it will obstruct the ink flow .

A very useful Information,

Also i would like to add that apply silicon grease in a legitimate amount so that it does not gets inside the bore of the section(from the threading side) wherein it will obstruct the ink flow .

quite true, I have now elaborated on this. Thanks! Hari

This needs to be a sticky.

To be honest, I learned how to properly fill and prime ED pens from YouTube's own SBRE Brown, who says that he got the information from Kevin at FPR, and who knows where he got the info... but I learned from this post. I think it would be a very useful reference for new ED users. There seem to be quite a few coming around :)

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know! I used to have an ED years ago (before the threads cracked and rendered it useless) and it would've been helpful to know some of this then! (I didn't know about the silicone grease or steps 4/5.) I've always been fascinated by them, though, and want to get another some day, so now I know how to do the fill properly. :)

Thanks for the post Hari. I got a few packs of silicone grease from my friend who works on electrical equipement where they use this to seal gas tight O rings. A bit of grease and my Wality 71JT stopped oozing at the threads!!

Had I known this some 35 years back many of my pens of school days would have survived. After trials with candle wax or cotton threads only thing we knew was to throw the pens out of the window and get a new one after a lot of argument with mom :D :D .

Regards

Subramoniam

Ha, now I have converted one of my favourites a humble Reynolds cartridge pen I bought several years ago into a ED!! Applied some silicone grease and filled with about 2.5ml ink and so far so good. no leaks. hope it would not burp later.

16935281197_eb37c46aac_c.jpg
WP_20150414_005 by subbu68, on Flickr

Regards

Subramoniam

Good to know! I used to have an ED years ago (before the threads cracked and rendered it useless) and it would've been helpful to know some of this then! (I didn't know about the silicone grease or steps 4/5.) I've always been fascinated by them, though, and want to get another some day, so now I know how to do the fill properly. :)

Thanks! You must try another ED pen. :)

Thanks for the post Hari. I got a few packs of silicone grease from my friend who works on electrical equipement where they use this to seal gas tight O rings. A bit of grease and my Wality 71JT stopped oozing at the threads!!

Had I known this some 35 years back many of my pens of school days would have survived. After trials with candle wax or cotton threads only thing we knew was to throw the pens out of the window and get a new one after a lot of argument with mom :D :D .

True, we as students did all kinds of horrible things with our things. :)

Ha, now I have converted one of my favourites a humble Reynolds cartridge pen I bought several years ago into a ED!! Applied some silicone grease and filled with about 2.5ml ink and so far so good. no leaks. hope it would not burp later.

WP_20150414_005 by subbu68, on Flickr

I like these Reynolds pens, I believe this one is called the Accent. very reliable writer.

I like these Reynolds pens, I believe this one is called the Accent. very reliable writer.

I bought this in UAE Dubai or Abu Dhabi I don't remember but sure it did not have any packing of any sort. So do not know the model name. Very good pen IMHO.

We have started on a French brand on Indian thread :D Modi inking Dassault deal :D :D :D

Regards

Subramoniam

Nice article, I wish I had found it when I had gotten my 1st ebonite eyedropper, I did not prime the feed and took me ages to figure out myself what I had NOT done.

Nice article, I wish I had found it when I had gotten my 1st ebonite eyedropper, I did not prime the feed and took me ages to figure out myself what I had NOT done.

Thanks! I am glad it is useful.

One word of caution - my Gama Airborne has a long feed sticking out of the section which takes up space in the barrel when you reassemble the pen. I suspect that if I filled the barrel up to the threads it might overflow.

I'm not sure if any other pens have a long feed.

One word of caution - my Gama Airborne has a long feed sticking out of the section which takes up space in the barrel when you reassemble the pen. I suspect that if I filled the barrel up to the threads it might overflow.

I'm not sure if any other pens have a long feed.

The airborne is an anomaly. :) . BUT, on a normal Indian dropper pen where the feed if at all, sticks out just 2-3mm proud at the end of the section, steps 4 and 5 will take care.

Edited by hari317

• 2 months later...