Conid Bulkfiller: All The Pen You'll Ever Need.

mongrelnomad

Yes of course; it will be a few weeks as I've got so many events going on and I've actually never done a "formal" review :)

What I can tell you briefly is that this version, of which I actually am fortunate to have two, in medium Ti nib is a wonderfully smooth writer and is of great quality construction. I really like that all the parts are serviceable which hopefully will add to its longevity. I really like that it has great ink capacity and is incredibly easy to fill, so efficient. I'm still getting the hang of how the feed works and keeps the ink intact after, say a week of inactivity. The pen also works so well after flying with it, much better than some of mine that seem to want to expel their ink supply on take-off and landing!

I'm a little confused by all the models. Which one(s) do you recommend? Do you also recommend the Ti nib? I have always considered Ti to be an amazing material.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steelblue

• stevesurf

• sarahfar

• Frank C

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a little confused by all the models. Which one(s) do you recommend? Do you also recommend the Ti nib? I have always considered Ti to be an amazing material.

Hi Frank, the two I have are identical, are amazing writers and as follows:

REGULAR Demonstrator CONID Bulkfiller

Titanium NIB type 250 Medium CONID logo

Extra tools ordered

The third, on order, has the Ti nib being ground to Italic/stub

Better to get an order in queue as they are getting popular!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Did you specify the size of the Stub?

I am a big stub fan, but I am looking for something more useable like between a .7 and .9.

I'm trying to decide if I want to shell out for the titanium nib. I'm right handed, but write like a lefty so flex nibs have never really worked with my writing style.

I really left it up to Conid as Ti is a difficult metal enough to work with, let alone specify a stub width. What I do know is that the Ti nibs are smooth, slightly soft, wonderful writers when, like everything else, tuned properly. The two Conid medium Ti nibs I have are great writers, so any line width wider than medium to me is a bonus.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Latest update: even though we're a little more settled, and I've found my inks, the delrin is STILL not empty and still remains my go-to pen. The demo has joined it now, too.

If it's possible, I have become even more astonished at the quality of engineering in these pens. I think Conid should trademark the advertising slogan "The Best Pen in the The World". It would not be hyperbole.

Anyway, a bit of nib replacement surgery on the FPR demo:

16580096424_e52ffc1bd8_b.jpg

If you're interested, you can keep abreast of other owners' surgery here.

Edited by mongrelnomad

Too many pens; too little writing.

• 5 weeks later...

Just a little update. My Conid Bulkfiller arrived in the mail today. I haven't even filled it yet, I was thinking of Bung Box 4B, though. I believe that it's dark enough that I could use it on medical records at the hospital. The pen is a marvel of design, engineering, and manufacturing. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Congratulations Frank. Would be great to hear your views once you have had chance to get used to your fabulous new pen. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Yes, congratulations Frank. I'd love to hear (and see more) of your pen in the real-world...

Too many pens; too little writing.

Congratulations Frank. Would be great to hear your views once you have had chance to get used to your fabulous new pen. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Yes, congratulations Frank. I'd love to hear (and see more) of your pen in the real-world...

I am not really set up for product photography, but maybe this weekend. I really do like the pen and I did put 4B in it—a nice blue-black ink.

Just a little update. My Conid Bulkfiller arrived in the mail today. I haven't even filled it yet, I was thinking of Bung Box 4B, though. I believe that it's dark enough that I could use it on medical records at the hospital. The pen is a marvel of design, engineering, and manufacturing. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Many congrats Frank; hope to see you LV posse people soon and I will certainly bring my latest "Ti stub" :D

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

• 2 weeks later...

I do hope all is well with you and your family! On your wonderful words however, I broke my promise to myself. I bought another pen, the Minimalistica and cannot wait for it to arrive. Thank-you for the recommendation and best regards to you and family.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I do hope all is well with you and your family! On your wonderful words however, I broke my promise to myself. I bought another pen, the Minimalistica and cannot wait for it to arrive. Thank-you for the recommendation and best regards to you and family.

Please post a review when you get it.

Can someone explain the titanium nib to me? Is it just another nib material, or does it have any nice properties? Is it a nail, slightly springy, or somehow modern flexible?

dan at fpgeeks really loves the titanium nib on the conid and says it is well worth the extra $30

i would love to get the demonstrator one day

[media=560x315]

[/media] Edited by frogbaby

thanks for posting the video. I haven't tried taking mine apart, yet. Of course, it is still about half full of ink from its initial fill.

• 2 weeks later...

It's in the mail as I write this.

Mark Twain

• 2 weeks later...

The exchange rate is good but just be aware Conid is charging non EU customers VAT.

Kent

Hmmm... I was not charged VAT with the Minimalistica.

Mark Twain

Hmmm... I was not charged VAT with the Minimalistica.

As a result of this topic, they changed their way of charging and eliminated VAT for non-EU customers. They even refunded VAT previously charged to non-EU customers.

My Slimline with a fine titanium nib ground to EF arrived this past week. It's a beauty and writes well. The next Conid will be a Kingsize. I will order it in the next few weeks.

As a result of this topic, they changed their way of charging and eliminated VAT for non-EU customers. They even refunded VAT previously charged to non-EU customers.

My Slimline with a fine titanium nib ground to EF arrived this past week. It's a beauty and writes well. The next Conid will be a Kingsize. I will order it in the next few weeks.

Glad you received it; which Ti nib did it come with, one that has "Conid" on it or the Bock version?

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

T

Glad you received it; which Ti nib did it come with, one that has "Conid" on it or the Bock version?

The nib says, "BOCK titan" and has the billy goat logo on it. It writes like a dream and is very wet. (I was very careful constructing that last sentence!) I also received a medium stainless steel nib with it. It also just says, "BOCK". When I tried to unscrew the sleeve that holds the nib and feed, the nib and feed came out, the sleeve stayed behind. So, I got out my Vise-Grip pliers, and then put them away. I'll have to email Werner to see if he has any advice.

Are you familiar with SBRE Brown's video on how to take apart a Conid? It is typical SBREB and very informative:

http://www.sbrebrown.com/2013/11/disassembly-line-conid-bulkfiller-streamline/

I had trouble getting it back from Amberlea. She threatened to put it down her cleavage along with a Pilot M90. I had to use all my powers of persuasion to dissuade her. My poor Conid is still traumatized. The M90, being Japanese, was pretty excited, actually.