Conid Bulkfiller: All The Pen You'll Ever Need.

mongrelnomad

Not that most will need reminding but, mongrelnomad really knows his pens and so any recommendation from him has to be taken seriously....I quite like the thought of a pen that could look after itself, that could be tossed into a bag (all mine are kept nib up) and that would still perform as you say yours does mongrelnomad.

Opinions vary, or in this case, one person's ceiling is another's floor. I expect to be able to toss a pen about routinely in a bag and have it work perfectly on demand. There's nothing special here. The Conid line and concept are well worth our attention, but not for this reason. The disadvantage of the bulk filler, in common with all piston-type fillers, is that it must be filled by a bottle rather than a cartridge.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• steelblue

• stevesurf

• sarahfar

• Frank C

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Absolutely right. I ought to have said, given the number of Conid bulkfillers he has.

Pavoni.

A feature, not a fault.

Yes, a feature, but unfortunately an inherent disadvantage when you are separated from your ink bottle. There have been discussions on other threads about what to do when you're writing a day-long exam or how to cope when you are on a long trip. I nonetheless am a fan of Conid's filling technique, in part because of the sheer amount of ink it holds, and also because the entire mechanism can be taken apart. Perhaps a future model will have a quick-fill feature that allows you to carry something that resembles a large cartridge and effectively doubles the capacity of the pen.

Yes, a feature, but unfortunately an inherent disadvantage when you are separated from your ink bottle. There have been discussions on other threads about what to do when you're writing a day-long exam or how to cope when you are on a long trip. I nonetheless am a fan of Conid's filling technique, in part because of the sheer amount of ink it holds, and also because the entire mechanism can be taken apart. Perhaps a future model will have a quick-fill feature that allows you to carry something that resembles a large cartridge and effectively doubles the capacity of the pen.

It already exists: it's called the Visconti Travelling Inkwell.

Too many pens; too little writing.

It already exists: it's called the Visconti Travelling Inkwell.

A good start perhaps, but not quite what I had in mind. I'm thinking of a proprietary mechanism.

Heh. I just realized that there are a lot of black kitteh avatars in this thread.

-k

Heh. I just realized that there are a lot of black kitteh avatars in this thread.

Well, if Francis comes up with a Bombay model that's glistening black with copper features, I wouldn't be able to refuse. Just keep it light!

Of course I remember you! Hope you have been well!

I fear my knowledge is far less than made out. I simply have too many pens and too little self control ;)

Great post mongrelnomad. :thumbup:

Not that most will need reminding but, mongrelnomad really knows his pens and so any recommendation from him has to be taken seriously. I had the pleasure of meeting him once at the London Pen Show. Guess where I found him? Yep, at the Conid stand chatting to Francis and Werner (you might not remember but we all had a photo taken together!)

I am not attracted to the styling of the delrin streamline bulkfiller but was intrigued by your description of how you use abuse it. Most of my 200 or so pens are vintage and whilst I certainly use them, they are fantastically pampered, including my bulkfiller demonstrator, which, despite near daily use, looks in exactly the same condition as when I first bought it new from Conid some years back!

I quite like the thought of a pen that could look after itself, that could be tossed into a bag (all mine are kept nib up) and that would still perform as you say yours does mongrelnomad. Umm, I was holding out for one of the new Kingsize out in June this year but I might, just might instead go for a pen carrying mongrelnomad's hearty recommendation of near indestructibility :)

Pavoni.

Message sent, automated reply that Werner was not in the office today. I'll keep you posted.

Werner responded two days ago. I've been on the road, so it took awhile to find it and post it, but here it is:

Frank,

Many thanks for your interest in Conid. And great thanks for the great review of Mongrelnomad.

We are really embarrassed with the VAT issue. We have done what was obliged us to do by government authorities at the time.

We are working on a permanent solution with the carrier and Tax authorities.

Regarding the still to deliver orders, we will only ship until the VAT problem is resolved. IF the charged taxes can be paid back, we will promptly do.

We will do everything in favor of our customers.

Please find the model you like below. There are available in Black Delrin, Ebonite and demonstrator.

[i had to remove an image not allowed by FPN—FC]

It is easy to order from our website.

Many thanks for your trust in us

Werner

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

The last week has been beyond intense - my pregnant wife, three year old daughter, two dogs and I have moved country to start a business in a strange land. As soon as we landed we suffered a series of difficulties... With our lives packed away, I have been taking notes, drafting contracts, editing a manuscript; all the while my collection of pens and inks was packed, all except for one. The miracle pen.

It never leaks, the cap seals incredibly tight, the clip is inviolably secure, it holds a huge amount of ink (I've lost track of how much I've written and yet it still keeps going - good, as for now I don't have any ink with which to refill it); it has been tossed in bags, attached to pockets, in toddlers' and dogs' mouths. It has proven damn-near indestructible and I have never, ever, witnessed a pen nearly as well engineered, or fit for purpose. It is the only fountain pen I own that is absolutely as practical as a roller-ball.

And so I would like to thank Werner and Francis at Conid for designing and manufacturing what is probably the best, the most practical, and most reliable fountain pen the world has ever seen, and for creating a product that has actively made my life easier during this trying time. My collections spans over 100 pens, modern and vintage, and yet I cannot think of a single other that could have endured this all...

16317635284_1122012755_b.jpg

Best of luck with all the changes, both wonderful and challenging that you are going through, mongrelnomad. I feel the same about the CONID and can't wait to receive my second bulkfiller. There is sometimes nothing better than admiring a great tool and a smooth nib to keep you focused!

Here's a picture of my CONID demonstrator with none other than Kon-peki ink of some Kanji practice. Again, all the best of luck for you and family.

Conid%2B1.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

Beautiful pen and good work on the kanji. Is kon-peki your favorite ink?

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Can someone explain the titanium nib to me? Is it just another nib material, or does it have any nice properties? Is it a nail, slightly springy, or somehow modern flexible?

Can someone explain the titanium nib to me? Is it just another nib material, or does it have any nice properties? Is it a nail, slightly springy, or somehow modern flexible?

It's softer and more springy than steel; I'd say it is softer and springier than most of my modern gold nibs too. I wouldn't call it flexible, though.

Beautiful pen and good work on the kanji. Is kon-peki your favorite ink?

Thanks! The Conid demonstrator is a great way to have a bright ink fascinate when even not writing, so it's my favorite saturated blue, but I really like YamaDori and the darker Starry Night and MB JFK, too. For that matter, Ama Iro looks cool in demonstrators as well, but I think I may be putting Toki in next :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia

Thanks! The Conid demonstrator is a great way to have a bright ink fascinate when even not writing, so it's my favorite saturated blue, but I really like YamaDori and the darker Starry Night and MB JFK, too. For that matter, Ama Iro looks cool in demonstrators as well, but I think I may be putting Toki in next :)

Couldn't agree more, and one of the reasons my FPR Bulkfiller demo began life filled with Yama Dori, but quickly moved to Grenade. Though gorgeous on the page, Yama Dori lacked the impact when visible inside the pen...

16366482774_f06853d081_b.jpg

VAT is included in the base price. Was VAT deducted from the base price? Or did you pay import duties? If not, you paid VAT. You either have to pay VAT or import duties. Conid subtracts the VAT out from the base price for EU customers. It's different than how I've seen most European countries do business.

Kent

I didn't think the VAT was in the base price, but my account was refunded and the pen is on it's way as I type this.

Steve,

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. When things settle down, any chance you might do a more thorough review?

d

Steve,

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. When things settle down, any chance you might do a more thorough review?

d

Yes of course; it will be a few weeks as I've got so many events going on and I've actually never done a "formal" review :)

What I can tell you briefly is that this version, of which I actually am fortunate to have two, in medium Ti nib is a wonderfully smooth writer and is of great quality construction. I really like that all the parts are serviceable which hopefully will add to its longevity. I really like that it has great ink capacity and is incredibly easy to fill, so efficient. I'm still getting the hang of how the feed works and keeps the ink intact after, say a week of inactivity. The pen also works so well after flying with it, much better than some of mine that seem to want to expel their ink supply on take-off and landing!

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Paris | Venezia