The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

I Transformed My Filofax Into A Traveler's Journal With Pictures

filofax travelers journal diy ring removal notebook inserts may designs rotary cutter trimming notebooks ring-bound planner customized travelers journal

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MissSuzy31

MissSuzy31

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 18:07

I am a former Filofax user and learned about the Midori / traveler's journals recently. I wanted to find a way to make use of my Filofax so I transformed my personal size filofax into a traveler's journal by removing the rings / metal spine with a hacksaw. For illustration purposes, I found the green binder picture online, (it's not mine) and I bent the metal spine up like the picture shows, but not quite as far. I bent it up just enough to get a hacksaw blade between the leather and the rivets and I literally sawed through the rivets on the inside of the book. After removing the rings and metal spine, I used a leather hole punch to make 3 holes to each the top and bottom of the leather spine, giving me 4 elastic strands inside. It holds inserts I modified from May Designs and these inserts measure 7.25 x 5 inches. I used a rotary cutter to trim from the bottom and top of the notebooks, then reinforced the stitching of the books so they wouldn't come unsewn. I angled the corners of the notebooks to fit inside the curved corners of the Filofax. I am really happy with it and am loving that I can still use the Filofax to satisfy my TJ obsession! Thanks for looking!

bent.jpg filo1.jpg filo2.jpg filo3.jpg filo4.jpg filo5.jpg filo6.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Cushy Butterfield

Cushy Butterfield

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 March 2015 - 19:23

Excellent! I have a couple of old Filofax and often wished I could do something with them. Not sure I'm safe with a hacksaw though...

edit for spelling

Edited by Cushy Butterfield, 26 March 2015 - 19:24.

#3 TeaHive

TeaHive

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 20:43

Wow, that's some dedication! I was trying to figure out how to remove the ring binder from my Mead planner so I could do the same, but gave up the idea. Now that I know it just takes a saw and some muscle...  B)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: filofax, travelers journal, diy, ring removal, notebook inserts, may designs, rotary cutter, trimming notebooks, ring-bound planner, customized travelers journal

Sponsored Content

|