Newbie At Nibs

Alexcat

I hate to sound stupid......but I also believe that the only way to learn is to ask :)

I have a bunch of 'job lot' pens - bought with the idea of learning a little restoration and so on. One has what I thought was a bent nib.....and then I saw this:

http://www.nibs.com/SailorSpecialtyNibs.htm

Please enlighten me....I had no idea that nibs such as this are available, useable, and not, as I thought, just bent.

Of course mine may well be just bent, but in any case, id be very grateful for any insights.

Thanks

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• linearM

• Bo Bo Olson

• Alexcat

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, what are called Nib Meisters, those who can alter nibs can as you show in your link alter a nib for specialty reason, or simply because someone may want something different from the original nib of the pen. For instance some may want a finer line, or bolder line. Some nibs can be tuned, what it is called by some to be architect thin, like a nib which is xxxf point or beyond. I have what is called a waverly nib for my Pelikan M800 fountain pen; it was done by Richard Binder several years ago. It looks also bent, but you can write with it either front or back. If you write with it front, regularly, it writes like an extra fine point, if you turn it around from back to front, the line is thinner and I suspect you could probably write as if an italic nib. I have forgotten offhand where I put it as my M800 has a regular XF point now; If I can locate it, I will try to post a picture of it for you to see. Can't seem to locate a picture online for you. Here is a picture from Richard Binder's site. The nib's tip is slightly upturned. I think mine is turned up a little more though. This will give you an idea and you can write from using both front side and back side of the nib.

http://www.richardspens.com/?page=pens/nibs.htm (where he describes the nib Waverly).

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

If you are referring to the fude nib, it gives a greatly varied line depending on the angle of the pen to the paper. The line is much like that of a brush used for Japanese or Chinese calligraphic writing. I've used the fude for sketching since it gives me such a varied line, from fine to almost like using a chisel point marker.

If you are referring to the fude nib, it gives a greatly varied line depending on the angle of the pen to the paper. The line is much like that of a brush used for Japanese or Chinese calligraphic writing. I've used the fude for sketching since it gives me such a varied line, from fine to almost like using a chisel point marker.

Some lines in terms of how they appear have some variety according to paper used. Does this also pertain to the Fude?

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

More than likely if it's not a fancy Sailor nib...it's lible to be just a bent nib.

Need pictures.

I had a well bent '36 Canadian factory BB stub on a Vac, that was bent. Using a thick pad of paper and the back end of a drill bit....got it straight and even. didn't even have to take it off the pen.

There is lots of instruction on the fix it subsection.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.